Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: So if the defense is terrible again this season?

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    If you ignore the last 3 years (we're just starting to really evaluate Perry now) that's 4:3, not a bad record, really.
    What's the four and what's the three? Four who developed or four who weren't constantly injured? Cuz while Raji and Hawk have been healthy it's doubtful whether either one has lived up to the spot where he was picked. I don't say this as a critique of TT. I think the draft is a true crapshoot, and just as he's been extraordinarily fortunate in finding gems with his second and third round picks (especially the receivers) he's been equally unlucky with first round picks (except ARod and CMIII).

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Peri was a bad pick from day one. Came in with the wrong attitude about his weight and position. Although he said some better things at the beginning of last year it seems like he still has a poor attitude behind the scenes. He might not make it out of TC this year, if he even gets cleared for it. Just a bust.

Also what is with this 'undisclosed injury' thing. I know they don't like saying anything useful these days, but we learn about things like the cyst that Harris had removed last year, the weird intestinal thing some other guy had a couple of years ago, etc. The coaches seem pissed about this one, like Peri injured himself in a stupid way just before OTA's, or that he had some sort of lingering injury and ignored advise for surgery until just before OTA's so he couldn't get the work in.
    He said in his rookie year that he was going to keep the weight he put on for the Combine because the Packers wanted him between 260 and 270. If true, he was abiding by instructions. Having one OLB in a 3-4 at 270 is not unheard of.

His "attitude" about the position was one pre-draft comment about preferring to keep his hand in the dirt because that is what he was used to doing. But as long as he was chasing after the QB, he didn't care. Its amazing the power this one quote had taken on given his struggles. Its a good thing he didn't admit to being a Bear fan because everyone on this board would be accusing him of sabotage in that case.

He could be malingering behind the scenes, but other than new and public complaints that he is missing the offseason, we have no evidence. Notice that no one has asked McCarthy or Moss whether or not Perry is cleared to practice. The reason they haven't asked is the offseason; McCarthy and Moss don't need to answer. We found out about other players because they or they agents talked.

He could have delayed surgery against team advice, hoping it would heal itself. But the odds are long that he is still recovering from something related to his foot unless he damaged something else training in after the season.

I think there is one piece of evidence that they do not trust Perry in the defense: he clearly played better on the right, but he didn't get a full time gig there even after Matthews was hurt. Whether its assignments, health or attitude, they haven't devoted him to his favorite side. Which means they still have doubts. Whether its more than health and rep related, we might have to wait to know.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    Perry has been misused from the day he was drafted - I'm sure the guy is completely demoralized and wants out.

Still, mailing it in and refusing to give effort isn't any way to make friends or money - Perry will be gone as soon as his contract is up, and will be looking to land on a team as a 4-3 DE, which is where he belongs.

So Perry will be gone, Worthy will be gone, Raji will be gone... TT and Capers need to get on the same page, or this nonsense will just continue as long as Spraypaintedhair is DC.
    Wist, the PRIVILEGE of playing in the NFL doesn't mean you get to be used in only the way you see fit. He was drafted, given millions, now its on him to perform. He has the skillset to play OLB. He is not as misused as you make it out to be. Brad Chillar being asked to play safety is being misused (though he would have been an upgrade last year).

This is on Perry. When a 22 year old kid thinks that the professionals who have done this for generations aren't using you the right way so you pout (and the comments make it kinda obvious they are pissed at his attitude), you might want to look in the mirror.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    What's the four and what's the three? Four who developed or four who weren't constantly injured? Cuz while Raji and Hawk have been healthy it's doubtful whether either one has lived up to the spot where he was picked. I don't say this as a critique of TT. I think the draft is a true crapshoot, and just as he's been extraordinarily fortunate in finding gems with his second and third round picks (especially the receivers) he's been equally unlucky with first round picks (except ARod and CMIII).
    Do you really believe in luck? As in...its lucky that Lois Lerner's hard drive crashed and ruined information stored on servers externally?

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Do you really believe in luck? As in...its lucky that Lois Lerner's hard drive crashed and ruined information stored on servers externally?
    I live in Indiana, in Luck I trust.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    Like Hawk or not, he's going into his 9th season with the Pack, generally as a starter. Sure, it turns out there were better players available, 17 players from the first round that year (including Hawk) ended up making at least one trip to the Pro Bowl. Generally speaking though, getting a 10 year starter at any spot in the draft, you'll take it.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Brad Chillar being asked to play safety is being misused (though he would have been an upgrade last year).
    Very funny

Wist, the PRIVILEGE of playing in the NFL doesn't mean you get to be used in only the way you see fit. He was drafted, given millions, now its on him to perform. He has the skillset to play OLB. He is not as misused as you make it out to be. Brad Chillar being asked to play safety is being misused (though he would have been an upgrade last year).

This is on Perry. When a 22 year old kid thinks that the professionals who have done this for generations aren't using you the right way so you pout (and the comments make it kinda obvious they are pissed at his attitude), you might want to look in the mirror.
    He doesn't have the skill set to play OLB - he has very stiff hips; uninstinctive, slow to react in space, can't cover, etc, etc...

No, he's not suited to play OLB.

Neal is much, much better in space; much more athletic; more flexible hips; can sink, turn, and run... leave Neal at OLB, and use Perry on the line in pass rush situations. It takes advantage of the skills both players bring to the table.

Dunderdummy doesn't think that way though... he's a square peg in a round hold guy. His protestations notwithstanding.
    wist

He doesn't have the skill set to play OLB - he has very stiff hips; uninstinctive, slow to react in space, can't cover, etc, etc...

Neal is much, much better in space; much more athletic; more flexible hips; can sink, turn, and run... leave Neal at OLB, and use Perry on the line in pass rush situations. It takes advantage of the skills both players bring to the table.

Dunderdummy doesn't think that way though... he's a square peg in a round hold guy. His protestations notwithstanding.
    http://www.pro-football-reference.co...H/HarrJa23.htm

This guy played OLB and couldn't cover for shit. Still had a pretty good career because he worked his ass off. Perry needs to start working.

You have got to be kidding. Neal is space looks like Kampman in space. Or an Octopus out of the water.

How many times did Perry get asked to drop in coverage versus play the line? Was it above 15%?

In the 2-4, its even less in passing situations. This debate is just goofy. Does anyone think Peppers will be Matthews or Jones in space? Its two different jobs.

The only questions at this point is his health. Is he holding himself out while cleared for practice, or are the Packers trying to light a fire under his butt?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I don't think it is a given at all that he will fit in as a 4-3 DE either. Perry might turn out to be one of those guys who was a decent college player, but doesn't really fit anywhere in the pro game.

He is a fool if he doesn't commit himself heart, soul and body to the "hybrid" DL/LB that the Packers have been talking about for the up coming season. It could be what is best for him, a little of each but a lot of neither.
    The NFL has reached a weird kind of parity. There are 16 teams playing a 4-3 and 16 playing a 3-4 (if you count NE a 3-4 team & I do) Some teams are hybrids and I think we are headed to hybrid land. This means that Perry isn't the only guy that's on a team that it's style doesn't quite match scheme.
    Perry isn't a 3-4 SOLB. He also isn't a 7 tech, hand in the dirt 4-3 DE. He's more of a sub package, spot guy. They need to put him in spots where he can use his bull and edge rush, that's what he's good at. Coverage or 3 down play just ain't his thing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post

This guy played OLB and couldn't cover for shit. Still had a pretty good career because he worked his ass off. Perry needs to start working.
    He covered what he had to in the SB vs the Cards. 100 yd pick 6 is some coverage. Good call, Zool. Harrison and Perry are pretty similar players. They both play the same spot on similar D's. Winston Moss should take Perry, chain him to a chair and make him watch all the tape on James Harrison. James made himself into a star OLB with less skills than Perry. Perry should be able to do the same thing.

But I severely doubt he will.

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    He covered what he had to in the SB vs the Cards. 100 yd pick 6 is some coverage. Good call, Zool. Harrison and Perry are pretty similar players. They both play the same spot on similar D's. Winston Moss should take Perry, chain him to a chair and make him watch all the tape on James Harrison. James made himself into a star OLB with less skills than Perry. Perry should be able to do the same thing.

But I severely doubt he will.
    It should also be noted that Harrison was around for 4-5 years before he figured it out and Pittsburgh understood how to best use him.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    It should also be noted that Harrison was around for 4-5 years before he figured it out and Pittsburgh understood how to best use him.
    He was also cut twice in camp I believe.

Perry and James Harrison are similar players??

You guys are on drugs - or maybe you need to be on drugs if that's what you're coming up with minus a buzz
    wist

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Better comparison than Harrison is Shawne Merriman for Perry.

Fact is that Perry was only drafted for one thing and one thing only: rush the passer. You'd gladly put up with any hole in a OLB's game as long as they can get to the QB. If Perry could cover and play in space he'd still be a disappointment. A 4-3 wouldn't change what matters enough to save his career.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

James Harrison played the same position in the same D and was bad in coverage. That's how they are similar. Perry is not out of position or used incorrectly IMO.

Perry is quite a ways ahead in athletic ability. Merriman would be a good comparison too if Perry hadn't been so pedestrian this far in his career. Time to stop being hurt and start playing.

Not sure about play style/position, etc, but career path-wise, you can't compare Perry to Merriman. Merriman started out like a house on fire, winning DRoY and going to the Pro-Bowl his first season.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Sounds a lot like James Harrison.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post

DAMMIT!!! I really gotta start reading a few posts ahead before responding.