Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Eagles Cut DeSean Jackson

Another party heard from that the gang reports were cover for what the Eagles had already decided to do.

http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/20...e-desean-move/

He points out the contact by police over the murder investigation was in 2011 and 2012. If it had been a deal breaker, they had a long time to act on it. The other article I linked to gives an anonymous quote that the new "management" of the Eagles didn't know, but Howie Roseman (as GM) and the owner were both with the team at that time. If the knowledge wasn't passed along, that would represent a pretty big failure.

However, Kelly could have decided after a year it wasn't all worth the trouble.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Another party heard from that the gang reports were cover for what the Eagles had already decided to do.

He points out the contact by police over the murder investigation was in 2011 and 2012. If it had been a deal breaker, they had a long time to act on it. The other article I linked to gives an anonymous quote that the new "management" of the Eagles didn't know, but Howie Roseman (as GM) and the owner were both with the team at that time. If the knowledge wasn't passed along, that would represent a pretty big failure.

the hernandez murder spree hadn't happened yet in 2011 and 2012. maybe after the serial killer went to town in NE, the eagles went back and took another look at everything and decided it wasn't worth the risk?

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    the hernandez murder spree hadn't happened yet in 2011 and 2012. maybe after the serial killer went to town in NE, the eagles went back and took another look at everything and decided it wasn't worth the risk?
    Possible. But its been nine+ months since he was arrested. And it was public knowledge he was neck deep in trouble in Florida as a frosh and had bad associates before his draft and there was speculation concerning that double murder, before he signed his extension, involved people he knew as well. Public knowledge can change the calculus, but given the worst that has happened to him is the loss of $20K in cash and a $100K watch, I'm still leaning football reasons especially since Bretsky was right about his public comments about a redone contract again.

The X and O guys seem to think this is more like the Saints where they don't want to spend All-Pro money on a position they consider fungible in their system.
    Last edited by pbmax; 03-29-2014 at 11:33 AM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/...-or-the-system

And if it means that elite guard Evan Mathis, who broached the topic of a new contract after out-performing the deal he signed a few years back, is then shopped around the league, well, then that's exactly what is taking place. Mathis's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, has been given permission to talk to teams about a trade, according to league sources, with the Eagles seeking a third-round pick in return. Unlike the Jackson situation, however, there is an expectation that barring trade options the Eagles might still keep Mathis, who is coming off a great season, and whose work ethic and mentality Kelly praised much more effusively on Wednesday, lauding Mathis' “lunch-pail mentality” that Kelly wants to permeate his entire team.
    This article is from before the gang speculation and before Jackson's release but it makes me wonder what Kelly wants to spend money on.

doesn't seem like he was all that popular with his teammates. and these are the same teammates that quickly forgave cooper after dropping a drunken n-bomb. so they're a pretty forgiving bunch

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ry/rumor-mill/

Blog Entries
    just listened to the Eagle beat guy; it's very telling no current players are really coming to his defense. He was not dis liked by any means.....but he won't be missed by the players and especially staff either
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

So the consensus here seems to be that the Eagles just didn't want him on the team because he was a PITA, and maybe that he was not that important in the system?

I'm not necessarily buying that, mostly because of the timing of the release. It doesn't make sense from a football perspective. There was no reason to release him now, no bonuses due, and with camp not opening for a while, not like he could get hurt at an OTA that would put them on the hook for his salary.

The release did, however, come right after the league meetings. Maybe the non-interest there was to the degree that the Eagles knew there was no chance of trading him, so they decided to cut bait?
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Probably doesn't help that DeSean Jackson owns (at least in part) a record label and employed two vocalists/"artists" who were tried on murder charges.

The employee of my employee is ... ?

"Hey, DeSean, we noticed that you have some degenerates on your payroll. Could you... fire them? No? Oh..."

I don't think he's tied up in anything crooked in the way of Hernandez, I just think they didn't like his attitude. Make no mistake, he's a good player, but he's not elite and never will be. They'll function without him, but I bet they draft two WRs come May!

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/i...-unfair-032914

Was concern over DeSean legit or did Eagles go too far in cutting WR?

Adrian Hasenmayer ... FOX Sports ... MAR 29, 2014 1:52p ET
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Charles Woodson is inviting Desean to come play for the Raiders. When did he take over as GM?
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Charles Woodson is inviting Desean to come play for the Raiders. When did he take over as GM?
    Better the Raiders than the Seahawks.

Wait-n-See Rat All-Pro Smeefers's Avatar
    N/m
    Last edited by Smeefers; 03-30-2014 at 03:13 PM.
    - Once again, adding absolutely nothing to the conversation.

I can understand not wanting to shell out more than $10M at a position where talent is relatively easy to come by, but it was their ability to put two fast, elusive guys in space (McCoy and Jackson) that made the Eagles so difficult to defend in 2013. If Jackson's replacement doesn't have the same skill set, this move will not be looking so good.

Sure doesn't look like his services are being clamored for. Some talk, a visit, but seems like tire kickers so far. He'll probably still end up ahead considering he pockets the signing bonus from the Eagles, but I'm guessing his ego takes a bit of a hit when he sees the offers coming in. Especially considering he thought he deserved more than the $10.5 he was scheduled to make.
    --

Blog Entries
    he is visiting the Redskins tomorrow, who have only 4MIL of cap space right now. Should be interesting
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

I just don't get it. Why bother to "cover" for cutting a headache. Just cut him, wish him well, and say nothing. "the team decided to head in another direction"
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I just don't get it. Why bother to "cover" for cutting a headache. Just cut him, wish him well, and say nothing. "the team decided to head in another direction"
    Team fears backlash of cutting their best receiver. Want a cover story. There aren't many Philly fans that don't understand he is a prima donna.

Team fears backlash of cutting their best receiver. Want a cover story. There aren't many Philly fans that don't understand he is a prima donna.
    Have the Eagles said anything though? The press is floating hypotheses of course, but they haven't said word one about why they released him, have they?

Bah. Bring him to Green Bay for a year for $4M.

There, I'm the first to say it! It would serve two purposes, give the Pack a crazy offense, and a few posters here would be speechless, at least for a while!
    --

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Is he any worse than Andre Rison? Doubt it. And even though he's injury prone!, he probably won't get injured every time he's tackled, like Terry Glenn.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Is he any worse than Andre Rison? Doubt it. And even though he's injury prone!, he probably won't get injured every time he's tackled, like Terry Glenn.
    That was a very strange player. Did the same thing happen to him on the Cowboys?