Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Packer Succession: GM and Coach Talk

Packer Succession: GM and Coach Talk

Bob reports the Packers, according to him its Murphy, want to extend McCarthy with a new deal. But its not known the future status of Thompson and whether or not he intends to stay for the duration of his current contract, much less an extended one.

Bob is working his previous material, recycling a quote about how Ted could be ready to leave at a moments notice. This was in 2010, a few months before he won a Super Bowl and signed a contract extension.

There is room in the market for a higher salary as coach. Both Belichick and Carroll have bigger yearly payouts but both have final say in the roster. Payton earns $2 mil more per season than McCarthy.

But what is driving Bob nuts is the idea that McCarthy's contract will extend beyond the GM's deal. He is fretting the lesson learned by Harlan will be compromised by a new deal and a new GM to replace Thompson would face a coach he didn't hire with a long term deal.

Of course the one thing Bob doesn't consider is that the new GM will be given the authority to fire even McCarthy should he wish to, regardless of contract. That is what Harlan asked of Thompson, to try to work with Sherman, but still with the authority to fire him.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...257826161.html

List of possible Ted replacements:

1. John Dorsey
    2. John Schneider
    3. Trent Baalke
    4. Russ Ball

Not on the list
    1. Eliot Wolf (other than internships, never worked outside GB)
    2. Reggie McKenzie
    3. Scot McCloughan (McGinn reports with no source mentioned that he lost his job for personal reasons and his career is in jeopardy)

Bonus Wolf hagiography: Never hire a friend. Which means of course Schneider and McCarthy should not be allowed to work together (JS introduced MM to his wife). Also not allowed to work with McCarthy: Dorsey and Ball.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

please do not give M3 a new deal before you have to (until he's in the last year of his deal), he is nearing the end of his run, DO NOT tie up tens of millions of dollars with him. he's already one of the longest tendered coaches in the nfl, and one of the longest lasting packer coaches ever.he might only have a couple more years left before the floor falls out and he pulls a reid, if it hasn't already happened

and i don't think he's that good anyways

as for gm, Schneider obviously sticks out, but would he leave the team he's currently building to come back here? i don't know if he would

russ ball is a cap nerd, nothing more

elliot wolf is just pure nepotism run amok

Reggie McKenzie isn't exactly lighting things up in oakland, and they might be run just as poorly with him as they were with al davis

McCarthy is signed through 2015. But coaches in good standing who are not mired in a dispute over value or role rarely make it to the lame duck season. So he would normally be signed to an extension somewhere between now and next offseason. Its not that early.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

There is no reason McCarthy couldn't remain the coach with Schneider as GM.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    McCarthy is signed through 2015. But coaches in good standing who are not mired in a dispute over value or role rarely make it to the lame duck season. So he would normally be signed to an extension somewhere between now and next offseason. Its not that early.
    and i would have this discussion next off season

his team looked like absolute shit without a-rod on the field. is the team good just because of a-rod? it sure as hell wasn't good without him

is the team a playoff team because of m3, or is the team good because of its future hall of fame QB?

its well documented how i feel about m3. i think he's a poor play caller, a poor game planner, doesn't get his guys ready for games, and sticks by his shitty assistant coaches for too long. in short, i think the team wins in spite of its current head coach, and its possible for the team to be better with a different HC

Not MM's biggest fan. I don't see any reason to rush this.

There are only two people who would want to leak this. One is Trace Armstrong, M3's agent. The second is a disgruntled board member. Only one of these is near-conclusive proof anything is actually happening.

how could a Packers board member be disgruntled?

McCarthy outsmarts himself with his play calling at times but I do believe he should get an extension.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    There's always one or two disgruntled board members.

There were guys who didn't like or get along with Lombardi for instance.

I can see where Lombardi would rub people the wrong way but I've never got that impression with Mac. I don't have a problem with extending him. He ain't perfect by any stretch but his overall record speaks for itself.

One thing that McGinn doesn't seem to consider is that a contract extension/renegotiation could be for two years, bringing MM under contract until only one year after TT's contract is up. A new GM would then have a year to decide what to do - keep MM, let him walk, whatever.

That wouldn't be untenable for a new GM, I don't think, and it would give MM a little peace of mind, anyway, if that's what they're after.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

But if he didn't put controversial (mis)information in his articles, JSO wouldn't get extra clicks and sell ad space.

This season is huge to see where this team really is. I want a hungry for success Mike McCarthy as our teams HC in 2014. With the rumors of Ted Thompson being about done and a new GM coming on why rush into a MM extention?

I'll post my observations as far as the team of TT and MM go overall:

Where is the Green Bay Packer "team" in terms of winning the next Super Bowl without Aaron Rodgers? Take ARod out of the picture and the Packers don't compete with the cream in the NFL. Even with ARod in the lineup the Team comes up short.

Are we as fans really content with NFCN championships and one and done playoff appearances? The fact that is what it is since our last Super Bowl has to fall on TT and MM. Sure Mike McCarthy as any HC in any Pro sport has to work with what his GM supplies him; but I want to see a hungry Mike McCarthy not a self satisfied and pork fed Mike McCarthy.

Do you reward good enough with an Aaron Rodgers as your QB or reward the ultimate result? Another Super Bowl win or proof that your real as an outstanding NFL Head coach.

Right now I see the Legacy of both Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy riding on the broad shoulders of the finest QB in NFL history in terms of career QB rating. Aaron Rodgers received his reward for that performance in terms of a lucrative long term contract.

I want Mike McCarthy to demonstrate the same exclusiveness and that based on more than a lack of success for the other NFCN competitors. Isn't the Packer success a factor of the Bears, Lions and Vikings shortfalls?

The bottom line:

To award MM with a new contract right now is premature.

I feel it's time that Mark Murphy and TT and MM stop slapping one another on the back and concentrate on what's necessary to get more done. To win that next Super Bowl and put the proof stamp on the Green Bay Packer success and the last Super Bowl win. Since then we havn't seen even close to comparable success. All we see is early playoff exits. Wasted playoff berths.

See the fat on Packers Head Coach Mike McCarthy. That's too much fat. I want Mike McCarthy to demonstrate just how really hungry he is before rewarding him for marginal success since that last Super Bowl. I want to see a hungry Mike McCarthy.

Show me an outstanding 2014 season and then talk contract extension. Only that makes proper sense.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 05-05-2014 at 12:10 PM.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

They are still mad Bart Starr was let go as coach and GM.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    and i would have this discussion next off season

his team looked like absolute shit without a-rod on the field. is the team good just because of a-rod? it sure as hell wasn't good without him

is the team a playoff team because of m3, or is the team good because of its future hall of fame QB?

its well documented how i feel about m3. i think he's a poor play caller, a poor game planner, doesn't get his guys ready for games, and sticks by his shitty assistant coaches for too long. in short, i think the team wins in spite of its current head coach, and its possible for the team to be better with a different HC
    So you must think TT is lights out as GM then. And before you give me the "ARod is the ONLY reason they can beat a high school team" routine, we went 2-2 with a journeyman QB who nobody else will sign once the shock and awe of losing Arod was over.

Anyway, I personally think Russ Ball is the guy TT kind of hand picked as his successor early on. Weather or not Mike Murphy is on board with that, I have no clue.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

I think Red is on the board....does that answer your question?

I suspect that Murphy knows a heck of a lot more about what TT's plans are than the article implies. TT doesn't seem like the sort of guy who well drop a retirement decision on the organization out of the blue. He will give them time to prepare for it.

They are still mad Bart Starr was let go as coach and GM.
    I'm sort of bitter about that myself. Bart was just figuring out that side of the game and they cut bait.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I suspect that Murphy knows a heck of a lot more about what TT's plans are than the article implies. TT doesn't seem like the sort of guy who well drop a retirement decision on the organization out of the blue. He will give them time to prepare for it.
    Not to mention its in Ted's job description to hire and fire the HC.