Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Shadow Predicts.....

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    If Ted and the coaches like Richardson's measurables this could be the reason we didn't pursue a S in FA and why they might not trade up for Dix or Pryor?
    I don't think they'll trade up to take a safety in R1 unless it was for an absolute stud. I don't see that from HaHa or Prior. Then again, I'm no scout.

I look at it this way: if they traded up to 15 and HaHa, Prior and Ebron were there, I'd prefer they take Ebron. I do think they will draft a safety, maybe two, but I think it will be someone more like Jimmie Ward in R2 or Reynolds/Johnson/Boston in mid-late rounds. If your punter is awful, you don't take one in R1 because it's a pressing need...TT isn't gonna chase a safety unless it's a no-brainer.

If Richardson's measurables are comparable and they think he will get better they'll look at other spots instead in R1. No idea if Banjo will bring anything either. There's too much depth in this draft to give up picks, I don't think TT will give up swings at the plate if the pitches in the late rounds look good. 4 picks in the top 100 or whatever will get them somebody to push Hawk/Jones, the WRs, and Quarless, and sort out the S situation, while still giving TT a chance to shore up the depth on DL and OL. BPA all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    to me, haha is the most complete all around safety in the draft. although he's a bit slow, he runs fast in pads and anticipates well to make up for any lack of speed

he also, like ward, wraps up when he tackles, where pryor and a lot of the others are just big hitters
    But does that 40 time mean he is already as good as he is going to get?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    But does that 40 time mean he is already as good as he is going to get?
    maybe

but would you rather get a player you know is already good, or take a guy later that MIGHT, with a lot of things going right, turn out to be as good as him someday, but faster

i think he could still get a bit better

then i look at this and ask the same question i have about sherrod. if the coaches liked what they saw from richarson, then why wasn't he starting, or getting more reps, not just splitting them 50/50

jennings had no future with the team at the end of last season, if coaches thought richardson was the future, then why wasn't he getting even more snaps?

jennings had set a pretty low bar to jump over
    Asked and answered. MM absolutely hates (his history shows) taking a guy who has had little practice time and isn't an experienced veteran and inserting him midway through the season. He doesn't believe that such a player can be in position/know his role well enough. The only reason Richardson saw the field at all is due to Jennings et all doing their Richard Pryor on sunset avenue imitation every game.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

maybe

but would you rather get a player you know is already good, or take a guy later that MIGHT, with a lot of things going right, turn out to be as good as him someday, but faster

i think he could still get a bit better
    Thonpson on the other hand probably wants some upside in the first round or he is trading back. Getting a pro ready guy in the first round is a Schottenheimer move to playoff futility if they can't be something more.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

then i look at this and ask the same question i have about sherrod. if the coaches liked what they saw from richarson, then why wasn't he starting, or getting more reps, not just splitting them 50/50
    Richardson got cleared on November 13th. He had not practiced in a year, wasn't a part of the defensive installations, etc. It's surprising he even split time down the stretch, but that was more because Jennings was so awful.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

I am now officially waffling.
    I now suspect we will target Mosley in the 1st (if available) & draft a Ward or Reynolds later.
    Who Knows? The Shadow knows!

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Thonpson on the other hand probably wants some upside in the first round or he is trading back. Getting a pro ready guy in the first round is a Schottenheimer move to playoff futility if they can't be something more.
    Think AJ Hawk...

I really don't think - and I hope he doesn't - that Ted will trade up to get a guy he thinks will be merely a solid if unexciting pro.

In a deep draft, and in a draft-and-develop system, I don't think Ted will trade up unless he thinks the guy he's getting is the next Nick Collins. This year, Ted's got two thirds - a luxury for him - plus two fifths (insert liquor joke here), and my thinking is that he'll just draft his spots and use those extra picks.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    I don't think they'll trade up to take a safety in R1 unless it was for an absolute stud. I don't see that from HaHa or Prior. Then again, I'm no scout.

I look at it this way: if they traded up to 15 and HaHa, Prior and Ebron were there, I'd prefer they take Ebron. I do think they will draft a safety, maybe two, but I think it will be someone more like Jimmie Ward in R2 or Reynolds/Johnson/Boston in mid-late rounds. If your punter is awful, you don't take one in R1 because it's a pressing need...TT isn't gonna chase a safety unless it's a no-brainer.

If Richardson's measurables are comparable and they think he will get better they'll look at other spots instead in R1. No idea if Banjo will bring anything either. There's too much depth in this draft to give up picks, I don't think TT will give up swings at the plate if the pitches in the late rounds look good. 4 picks in the top 100 or whatever will get them somebody to push Hawk/Jones, the WRs, and Quarless, and sort out the S situation, while still giving TT a chance to shore up the depth on DL and OL. BPA all the way.
    If safety is the top priority for TT and Ha-Ha and Pryor are gone early Ted might trade down so he can nab Jimmie Ward early in the 2nd. If he stands pat and waits for pick #53 Ward most likely will be long gone.

Why is Jimmie Ward so much better than Brooks or Reynolds? The guy is a little undersized and played at a smaller school.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Why is Jimmie Ward so much better than Brooks or Reynolds? The guy is a little undersized and played at a smaller school.
    A lot of people were impressed with Ward at the Senior Bowl. I wonder though if a lot of the mock drafts have him rated higher than most GM's do.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Waffling again. After watching CJ Mosley tape, I'm just not all that impressed. What about Ted swapping his #2 for a #3 to move up a bit - and landing WR Evans in the first? Then with 3 3rd round picks, gets Reynolds, Borland and the TE from Iowa?
    Who Knows? The Shadow knows!

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    A lot of people were impressed with Ward at the Senior Bowl. I wonder though if a lot of the mock drafts have him rated higher than most GM's do.
    That would fit Ted to a T, Senior Bowl standout who is sitting there is the 2nd round for him. If he gets there.

I just want a pro bowler. Haven't drafted one for a few years.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    that remains to be seen
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    that remains to be seen
    Do you think any of the recent draft picks have that in them? I can think of Hayward, but if he can't stay healthy...
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    In the last two years we have had the:
    2012 D Rookie of the Year
    2013 O Rookie of the Year
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    Touche. I keep forgetting Lacy. :$

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    I thought Luke Kuechly won DROY in 2012 (AP) (Did Hayward get a different award?)
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Do you think any of the recent draft picks have that in them? I can think of Hayward, but if he can't stay healthy...
    Other than Hayward and Lacy, Daniels has a shot, and there are a lot of potential guys who are too young/have too long an injury history to tell yet: Neal, Perry, Bakhtiari, Jones, Hyde. Andrew Datko will not be a pro bowler.