Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Green Bay Packers 7 Round Mock Draft 2.0

2014 Green Bay Packers 7 Round Mock Draft 2.0

Decided not to make any trades in this version and now with the correct compensatory picks.

1st Rd. 29th pick FS Calvin Pryor (Louisville)

Impact player who should make his presence felt day 1 in the NFL, someone we need on this defense and especially at the safety position.

Strengths Very good instincts. Physical, lights-out hitter (see second defensive snap of UCF game). Very aggressive running the alley and seeks to make his presence felt in the run game. Sacrifices his body. Defensive tempo-setter. Made a spectacular, one-handed INT vs. UCF. Good pre-snap recognition -- makes adjustments. Explosive tackler. Can leverage the field off the hash and cover ground. Good zone recognition. Rangy enough to play center field. Carries a swagger and plays with confidence.
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profil...yor?id=2543469

2nd Rd. 53rd pick TE Jace Amaro (Texas Tech)

Instant starter on offense and has the potential to be a Cameron Jordan type playmaker at TE.

Strengths Excellent size with a well-proportioned frame and room for added bulk. Releases cleanly into routes. Moves like an oversized receiver. Good balance. Enough foot speed to stretch the seam. Good hands to extend and catch. Gives effort as a move blocker and can block out defensive backs. Flashes nastiness. Historic one-year production.
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profil...aro?id=2543481

3rd Rd. 85th pick WR Allen Robinson (Penn St)

Robinson played in a pro style offense at Penn St and could step in right away as our #3/#4 receiver.

Strengths
    Excellent size. Good line release -- defeats press. Sinks his hips, breaks off sharply and creates separation. Works back to the ball. Climbs the ladder -- has elevation and body control to contort and make plays in the air. Turns short throws into chunk plays -- gets upfield quickly and shows shiftiness, vision and run strength. Executed a full route tree in a pro-style offense. Highly productive -- totaled 174-2,445-17 (14.0) in last two seasons. Will be a 21-year-old rookie.
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profil...son?id=2543509

3rd Rd. 98rd pick OLB Ronald Powell (Florida)

This kid could be a stud, former #1 DE recruit coming out of H.S. Would provide more pass rush and someone to replace Peppers down the road.

Looks the part -- well-proportioned, athletic, muscular build. Natural bender. Terrific agility. Can stunt and loop. Closes fast. Flashes strong hands and power potential. Loose hips to zone drop. Was deployed as a stand-up linebacker and hand-in-the-dirt rush end. Has untapped potential.
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profil...ell?id=2543579

4th Rd. 121th pick OT Laurent Duvernay-Tardif (McGill Canada)

Top rated prospect from Canada who is projected to play inside in the pros. Could be a starter down the road and gives us depth across the line.

Strengths Looks the part with outstanding upper-body strength and massive quads. Stout anchor in pass protection. Violent shock in his punch. Plays with a nasty temperament and seeks to bury defenders into the ground. Aggressive run blocker -- runs his feet on contact and plays beyond the whistle. Is physically and mentally tough and will play through pain (fought through a torn left labrum injury as a senior and never took himself out of a game or missed time). Highly intelligent (in medical program) and football smart. Can take concepts from the board to the field.
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profil...dif?id=2543816

5th Rd. 161th pick DT Daniel McCullers (Tennessee)

This guy is huge but hes raw, could be our future replacement for Raji.

Strengths Looks every bit the part with a relatively lean build for a 350-pounder -- carries his weight well with some muscle definition and good overall body thickness. Rare size with vines for arms, an enormous wingspan and exceptional mass to occupy space and hold up multiple blockers -- has clear two-gap potential. Can overpower zone blockers with sheer size. Very durable and has not missed any games to injury throughout his career.
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profil...ers?id=2543754

5th Rd. 176th pick ILB Shayne Skov (Stanford)

This kid was a playmaker before knee injuries slowed him down, could be a steal if he can return to his old form.

Strengths Outstanding instincts and recognition -- plays much faster than he clocks on a stopwatch. Goes full throttle and plays very hard. Times up the blitz extremely well. Explosive tackler. Alert in coverage. Intense emotional leader. Vocal leader. Has a love for the game and it shows. Ideal special-teams temperament.
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profil...kov?id=2543753

6th Rd. 197th pick CB Chris Davis (Auburn)

Gives us depth at CB and could factor as a return man.

Strengths Physical supporting the run -- fills quickly and likes to hit. Tough pound-for-pound. Takes on bigger receivers with aggression and sets a hard edge. Plays off blocks well. Good open-field tackler. Good press strength to re-route receivers at the line. Alert in zones. Has big-play return ability (recorded most memorable play of the 2013 season returning field goal 109 yards for TD vs. Alabama). Can factor as a punt returner with a low center of gravity and good run strength. Emotional, energetic field presence. Respected team leader.
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profil...vis?id=2543693

7th Rd. 236th pick QB David Fales (San Jose St)

The next Flynn? Maybe better?

Strengths Well built (works hard in the weight room). Sets up cleanly and with balance. Nice play fake. Compact, three-quarters release with clean, quick arm action. Throws a clean spiral with good short-to-intermediate accuracy. Flashes touch. Confident and competitive. Tough and durable. Sparkling intangibles -- outstanding personal and football character. Leads vocally and by example and is universally respected. Intelligent, passionate, motivated football junkie who takes pride in his craft and puts the time in to improve.
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profil...les?id=2543751

Last edited by Brandon494; 04-06-2014 at 03:47 AM.

If you're not making any trades, the Packers 1st pick is at #21, not #29. Not sure if that would change your pick.

Amaro would be a good value at #53 if available. Probably has more upside than Fiedorowicz.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    If you're not making any trades, the Packers 1st pick is at #21, not #29. Not sure if that would change your pick.

Amaro would be a good value at #53 if available. Probably has more upside than Fiedorowicz.
    Opps typo, thanks for catching that, couldn't sleep last night so decided to make another mock draft. For some reason its not letting my edit my post though.
    Last edited by Brandon494; 04-06-2014 at 10:41 AM.

I doubt Amaro, Robinson, or Skov are there for us where we are picking in those rounds, but I would be pretty stoked.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    I doubt Amaro, Robinson, or Skov are there for us where we are picking in those rounds, but I would be pretty stoked.
    No one thought Lacy would drop to us in the 2nd round either. Amaro and Robinson didn't have impressive combines and Skov still isn't fully healed which could drop their stock....hopefully.

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    No one thought Lacy would drop to us in the 2nd round either. Amaro and Robinson didn't have impressive combines and Skov still isn't fully healed which could drop their stock....hopefully.
    That Center from Alabama fell to the 4th round I believe because of his ankle injury... and he was supposed to be one of the best all around football OL in the draft... I can see were Skov could fall a bit if his injuries are an issue.... not sure about Amaro or Robinson... i'd take both in a second...
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

I was actually confusing Amaro with ASJ, the other tight end, so there is a chance he would be there in the 2nd for us. As for Robinson, I am not convinced he will fall all the way through the second and then more than half the third to us, but I'd love the hell out of it.

Mock drafts are always exciting. Thanks brandon.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

You are probably right about Robinson, I thought maybe with his slow 40 time and WR position being deep he could drop. Either way there should be some nice WR prospects left at the end of the 3rd for us to select.

I actually like this draft a lot... maybe a little optimistic, but I'd take it!

But will Pryor still be there at #21? I rather doubt it.

Love this draft, too.

Pryor is going to fall guys. He is 5'11" instead of the 6'2" Louisville had him listed at. He ran a 4.6. That's slow for a safety. I'm confident he'll be available, the question is whether he is a first round pick.

Prior has a shot at being there at 21. Depends on how the board falls and who else is there, and whether TT likes him.
    I'd think 5'11" safeties that run a 4.6 can be found outside of R1. Seems TT likes safeties that are either bigger (burnett, richardson, rouse) or better athletes (collins), so I'm skeptical about Prior's chances of being on GB's roster.
    Which means I'll be wrong.

If Allen Robinson is there in R3 and TT hasn't picked a WR yet, I'd like that pick.

Like the idea of Skov at LB. Sucks about the knee injury, but the kid has a nose for the football. Watched him on some of the late night PAC-10 games.
    -digital dean

No "TROLLS" allowed!

I haven't looked at the draft too much... just starting to try to get a handle on some of the guys. Wouldn't mind seeing us trade down a couple of times at the top of the draft. The draft looks really deep.

So far, these are some guys I like - that according to some sites may be available when our picks come up. I only went thru round 5, pick 161.

1st round, pick #21

Bradley Roby, CB - Ohio State

2nd round, pick #53

Donte Moncrief, WR - Ole Miss

3rd round, pick #85

Telvin Smith, LB, Florida State

3rd round, pick #98

Jered Abbrederis, WR, Wisconsin

4th round, pick #121

Howard Jones, LB, Shepard

5th round, pick #161

James Hurst, OT, North Carolina

wist

I refused to trade down, and I could never make an offer good enough to be accepted to trade up - oh well. This is what I got:

Round 1 Pick 21: Haha Clinton-Dix, FS, Alabama
    Round 2 Pick 21: Chris Borland, ILB, Wisconsin
    Round 3 Pick 21: Dion Bailey, FS, Southern California
    Round 3 Pick 34 (COMP): Christian Jones, ILB, Florida State
    Round 4 Pick 21: Ahmad Dixon, SS, Baylor
    Round 5 Pick 21: Donald Hawkins, OT, Texas
    Round 5 Pick 36 (COMP): Michael Sam, DE, Missouri
    Round 6 Pick 21: Kevin Norwood, WR, Alabama
    Round 7 Pick 21: Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson

It's smart to double up or even more on positions of need - similar to what Ted did with RBs last year.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    It's smart to double up or even more on positions of need - similar to what Ted did with RBs last year.
    How is that an example of successfully doubling up? Franklin contributed very little last year. In his one good game he had a crucial fumble. We could have used that pick at another position. WR Kenny Stills went to New Orleans soon after. I remember us tripling up at CB in 1999, and we got one good player out of it in Mike McKenzie. (Well, two good players since we traded Vinson for Ahman Green, but that was just a team giving up on a superstar too early because of his fumbling; Vinson turned out to be a bust.)
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

I still like Franklin's potential and at the time was considered a great value pick. I do agree doubling down would not be the best move since we need help at WR and TE as well.
    Last edited by Brandon494; 04-08-2014 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    But will Pryor still be there at #21? I rather doubt it.
    The mocks I've been reading don't even have him going in the first. Ha Ha was the only safety in the first. So based on some mocks I've seen, he could be available. I still don't know if he's a good fit for GB though. If he's picked and isn't all-pro... !!!!!
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I refused to trade down, and I could never make an offer good enough to be accepted to trade up - oh well. This is what I got:

Round 1 Pick 21: Haha Clinton-Dix, FS, Alabama
    Round 2 Pick 21: Chris Borland, ILB, Wisconsin
    Round 3 Pick 21: Dion Bailey, FS, Southern California
    Round 3 Pick 34 (COMP): Christian Jones, ILB, Florida State
    Round 4 Pick 21: Ahmad Dixon, SS, Baylor
    Round 5 Pick 21: Donald Hawkins, OT, Texas
    Round 5 Pick 36 (COMP): Michael Sam, DE, Missouri
    Round 6 Pick 21: Kevin Norwood, WR, Alabama
    Round 7 Pick 21: Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson

I'm okay with Clinton-Dix, and like Christian Jones and Ahmad Dixon.

Want nothing to do with Borland in the 2nd round... he's a low round pick IMO. Dion Bailey is too soft for my liking.

Don't want the gay guy at all.
    wist