Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Green Bay Packers 7 Round Mock Draft 2.0

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Matthews was drafting for want!

The drafting for need versus BPA debate cracks me up. Good teams combine both strategies. Consider the absurd example - say you had players rated and every time your selection came up the BPA was a WR - you wouldn't draft 9 WRs - you have your team needs and maybe you pick the position you need who is rated slightly less than the BPA WR because, well because you aren't Mike Ditka or Matt Millen.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    I assume that's Brohm and not Hasselbeck, but don't see where either was a need pick?
    IN 2008, the Packers needed (at least) a backup QB.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Also for those not aware Shazier ran a 4.36 40 time. When we play SF again we could have Shazier spy Kap, hes not out running him.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    Also for those not aware Shazier ran a 4.36 40 time. When we play SF again we could have Shazier spy Kap, hes not out running him.
    Draft Blackhawk!

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Matthews was drafting for want!

The drafting for need versus BPA debate cracks me up. Good teams combine both strategies. Consider the absurd example - say you had players rated and every time your selection came up the BPA was a WR - you wouldn't draft 9 WRs - you have your team needs and maybe you pick the position you need who is rated slightly less than the BPA WR because, well because you aren't Mike Ditka or Matt Millen.
    I don't know this for a fact, but I get the sense that many GMs rank players in groups of comparable ability (high R2, mid R2, etc.) vs. a pure force ranking (e.g., #38, #39), and if there are two players with comparable ability but one plays at a position of greater need they take that player. A player who drops far enough where they are ranked better than others would be the pick (or you trade down if you really don't need/want them) -- I would assume that's how they ended up with Rodgers and Lacy.

GMs that absolutely love someone at a position of need and trade up for that player (CM3) would logically only do so because they think there's value in doing so. I think that's different from drafting purely on need when you're on the clock because you're actively making a trade to get a specific player who you think will fit vs. letting fate decide who's the best 3-4 OLB left on the board.

Maybe that's a long way of saying that I agree that teams combine both strategies. There's no way TT drafts 9WRs. TT tilted towards need on his picks a bit too much on 2012 (the infamous all-D draft) and he's been rightly roasted for it.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    I don't know this for a fact, but I get the sense that many GMs rank players in groups of comparable ability (high R2, mid R2, etc.) vs. a pure force ranking (e.g., #38, #39), and if there are two players with comparable ability but one plays at a position of greater need they take that player...
    Good post. I think this is true.

Matt Millen picked based on Mike&Mike in the Morning interviews

The draft boards I have seen (most of them Cowboy boards pictured in the background, but not all) have players listed by a round grade. I am sure the values and scores might differentiate further, but I am not sure those are used on draft day.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries
    Agree Hawk/Jones pair needs upgrading. I think if there's a similarly ranked player at another position they might go there instead of ILB. They have Lattimore and Barrington waiting in the wings and I think they'll push for time. If Mosley or Shazier is there they will take a long look at them though.

I don't think anyone -- not even TT himself -- knows what name TT will write on that R1 card. Could be Mosley, Nix, Prior, Shazier, Odell Beckham (a dark horse IMO, he'd at worst be the #4WR and return kicks) among others. It depends on how the draft board falls. TT's gonna go BPA and I'm ok with that. Drafting for need can get teams into trouble.

I would be fine with Beckam round one....he's a sneaky pick. I would throw up on myself if we took Nix. I know everybody keeps noting Shazier as a ILB....which he can play...but the dude can also play OLB...and the dude can rush the passer...........he's the opposite of Nick Perry....he's an ideal 3-4 fit
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

He can blitz rrom the inside at the pro level and not be exposed for being underweight. He would also be involved in more plays, theoretically, due to being in the middle of the field. That would be a plus if he actually performs to his first round draft slot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    I would be fine with Beckam round one....he's a sneaky pick. I would throw up on myself if we took Nix. I know everybody keeps noting Shazier as a ILB....which he can play...but the dude can also play OLB...and the dude can rush the passer...........he's the opposite of Nick Perry....he's an ideal 3-4 fit
    He is too small to play OLB in a 3-4, thats why we would move him to ILB but he would still be a play maker. Peppers and Clay on the outside with Shazier rushing from the inside on zone blitz...I wouldn't mind seeing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Can't set an edge at 234 versus the run game at 234. He would have to run around the Tackle.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    If he can cover the Vernon Davis types and the Colin Kaep types then hes definitely worth a look... we have a major hole that those two exploit so that would help a lot... it seems like the TE position has been a thorn in our side for quite some time... maybe he solves that problem...
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

He is too small to play OLB in a 3-4, thats why we would move him to ILB but he would still be a play maker. Peppers and Clay on the outside with Shazier rushing from the inside on zone blitz...I wouldn't mind seeing that.
    Shazier has all the measurables - what could possibly go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Can't set an edge at 234 versus the run game at 234. He would have to run around the Tackle.
    LT was only 3 pounds more. Shazier just doesn't have the same recklessness (but who does?). Who knows? Maybe Blackhawk will be better inside than outside, but obviously I'm not that impressed from what I saw of him at OSU.

LT was only 3 pounds more. Shazier just doesn't have the same recklessness (but who does?). Who knows? Maybe Blackhawk will be better inside than outside, but obviously I'm not that impressed from what I saw of him at OSU.
    Perhaps, but LT arrived 35 years ago. And the 310 lbs., 6' 5" left tackle was developed to prevent him from doing what he did in the first part of his career.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Perhaps, but LT arrived 35 years ago. And the 310 lbs., 6' 5" left tackle was developed to prevent him from doing what he did in the first part of his career.
    sure, but free agency and Marshmallow Outhouse were developed to restore balance to the Force.

I'd put Shazier at ILB and keep the behemoths like Neal and Perry at OLB to set the edge vs. the run or maul the RT on the way to the QB. If I needed a backer to cover a RB or a TE, I'd want someone like Shazier over Neal/Perry though.

LOL Marshmellow Outhouse. Poor guy -- he's like the Star Trek Redshirt of OT's. Glad he got paid to play for Cincy. We'lll see how that works out.

LOL Marshmellow Outhouse. Poor guy -- he's like the Star Trek Redshirt of OT's.
    Exactly. "Marshamallow, you go check out that howitzer-shaped blue plant thingy with razor thorns over there, and I'll go talk to the hot female alien babe over here" - James Tiberius Rodgers Kirk

Shazier has all the measurables - what could possibly go wrong?
    As much as I complain about Hawk at least hes no Aaron Curry. Goes from safety pick in the draft to bust in only a matter of years.

As much as I complain about Hawk at least hes no Aaron Curry. Goes from safety pick in the draft to bust in only a matter of years.
    Good point. It could be much much worse. I need to lay off hawk bashing a little. After all, I'm the guy who always says if he were drafted in the 3rd round he'd have been considered "great value." He's a very solid but not spectacular starter. Obviously if the Packers pick Blackhawk, I hope his ceiling is higher.