View Poll Results: Which of these options is most advertising?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dion Bailey, USC: 3rd Round

0 0%
  • Craig Loston, LSU: 4th Round

2 15.38%
  • Kenny Ladler, Vanderbilt: 4th Round

0 0%
  • Ed Reynolds, Stanford: 4th Round

5 38.46%
  • Ahmad Dixon, Baylor: 5th Round

1 7.69%
  • Dontae Johnson, North Carolina State: 5th Round

0 0%
  • Tre Boston, UNC: 6th Round

3 23.08%
  • Marquestron Huff, Wyoming: 6th Round

1 7.69%
  • Dezmen Southward, Wisconsin: Undrafted

0 0%
  • I don't like any of these prospects, or I like one but not with the pick listed as the cost.

1 7.69%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Mid-Late Round Safety

Question Favorite Mid-Late Round Safety

Who you got? Please consider that you have to spend a draft pick to get these guys, and the rough cost is listed.

I don't understand the question.

I know whom I voted for, but I have no idea what is meant by "advertising."
    I believe in God, family, Baylor University, and the Green Bay Packers.

Anybody but Southward. He's a fine athlete but a lousy football player.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    I assumed he meant appetizing.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Nah, I meant it in he way of 'appealing'. Brandon, which safety did you want with a different pick.

we're drafting one of the top two safeties at the 21 spot. no need for another.

Physically, Dontae Johnson is intriguing, but he's a project. He'll need to bulk up a bit. Where is Brock Vereen projected to go now? From this list, I leaned towards Johnson and Boston. No safety prospect has caught my eye yet.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Physically, Dontae Johnson is intriguing, but he's a project. He'll need to bulk up a bit. Where is Brock Vereen projected to go now? From this list, I leaned towards Johnson and Boston. No safety prospect has caught my eye yet.
    CBS has him rated as a 6th round pick. But even though they say he has played CB, they say his recognition and anticipation make him more suited to in the box assignments.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...6/brock-vereen
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    we're drafting one of the top two safeties at the 21 spot. no need for another.
    Unless both of 'em are gone by #21...

If they are I hope we take Ward in the second.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Unless both of 'em are gone by #21...

If they are I hope we take Ward in the second.
    i'm thinking ward goes very late 1st early second, so if we want him, we either have to

reach a bit (which i have no problem with if the player has talent and it fixes our biggest need), and i think in this case it would

or we try and trade down,which may be next to impossible with everyone else this year wanting to trade down

or we try and trade way up with our second rounder, in which case you might have to give up our 3rd to move up far enough

actually, all of those guys are pretty big projects from what what i've seen

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    CBS has him rated as a 6th round pick. But even though they say he has played CB, they say his recognition and anticipation make him more suited to in the box assignments.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...6/brock-vereen
    I think those bios were done months ago. Vereen is a late riser. I'm pretty sure other "experts" are projecting him to go higher than the 6th round now. I just didn't know how much higher. He'd be my favorite mid to late round safety, if he qualifies.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

I think those bios were done months ago. Vereen is a late riser. I'm pretty sure other "experts" are projecting him to go higher than the 6th round now. I just didn't know how much higher. He'd be my favorite mid to late round safety, if he qualifies.
    Possible on bio. But CBS bought out NFL Draft Scout and those guys have been doing mocks for months. I would hope they keep the bio/round up to date.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

The most current ranking I can get on him, I don't see a full draft mock draft on CBS site. These rankings were updated for today. To be consistent with the thread, I left off Dix, Prior and Ward.

Code:
    RANK	PLAYER		POS.	POS.RANK	SCHOOL	CLASS	HT.	WT.	PROJ. ROUND
    72	Terrence Brooks	FS	3-FS	Florida State	Sr	5-11	198	2-3
    82	Deone Bucannon	SS	2-SS	Washington St	Sr	6-1	211	2-3
    103	Ed Reynolds	FS	4-FS	Stanford	rJr	6-1	207	3-4
    124	Dion Bailey	FS	5	Southern Cal	rJr	6-0	201	4
    131	Craig Loston	SS	3-SS	LSU		rSr	6-1	217	4
    146	Ahmad Dixon	SS	4-SS	Baylor		Sr	6-0	212	4-5
    149	Kenny Ladler	FS	6-FS	Vanderbilt	Sr	6-0	207	4-5
    163	Daniel Sorensen	SS	5-SS	Brigham Young	rSr	6-1	205	5
    172	Isaiah Lewis	SS	6-SS	Michigan State	Sr	5-10	211	5-6
    179	Dontae Johnson	FS	7-FS	NC State	Sr	6-2	200	5-6
    202	Marqueston Huff	FS	8-FS	Wyoming		Sr	5-11	196	6
    205	Brock Vereen	SS	7-SS	Minnesota	Sr	6-0	199	6
    228	Tre Boston	FS	9-FS	North Carolina	Sr	6-0	204	6-7
    235	Dez Southward	SS	8-SS	Wisconsin	rSr	6-0	211	6-7
    249	Jemea Thomas	FS	10-FS	Georgia Tech	rSr	5-9	192	7
    251	Nat Berhe	SS	9-SS	San Diego State	rSr	5-11	193	7
    295	Vin Sunseri(i)	SS	10-SS	Alabama		Jr	5-11	210	7-FA
    307	Alden Darby	SS	11-SS	Arizona State	Sr	5-10	194	7-FA
    336	Jerry Gates	SS	12-SS	Bowling Green	Sr	5-11	203	7-FA
    341	Sean Parker	SS	13-SS	Washington	Sr	5-10	193	7-FA

ESPN has him 7th overall at S (no designation between FS and SS) and 116th overall (which puts him in about the 4th round range), and even their rankings are a bit old.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/positions/_/id/93

Attention grabbing workout at Combine. At just shy of 6-feet and 200 pounds, ran a 4.47 40-yard dash, a 4.07 short-shuttle and a 6.90 three-cone. Also had 25 reps on bench press with a 34-inch VJ and 9-9 BJ.

Team captain. Loves the game and knows what it takes to be a pro. Good student; held 4.4 GPA in high school. Split time between safety and cornerback during his career.

Has versatility as a FS/CB/NB type. Has played all over secondary. Quick feet and balance in pedal. Above average man-to-man coverage skills for a safety. Good range in zone. Has some tightness in hips and can lose a bit of ground in transition, but accelerates out of turn and shows very good catch up speed when carrying WRs vertically.

Good range vs. run plays sideline-to-sideline and pursues hard. Not afraid to fill and support. More powerful than frame indicates. Will step up and take on much bigger lead blockers when necessary. Struggles to anchor, but can at least occupy blocker and funnel ball carrier back inside. Leaves feet as a tackler a bit too often but sticks to ball carriers once he makes contact. Strong upper body. Finds ways to get ball carrier to ground. Closes in a flash and makes some tough open-field tackles look easy.
    NFL.com has him 5th overall at S (no designation between FS and SS).

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/tracke...sition-input:s

STRENGTHS Very good athlete with fluid movement skills and good range. Competes hard. Runs the alley and can negotiate traffic. Good zone awareness and route recognition. Understands angles and leverage. Can carry receivers in man coverage with little wasted movement in transition on speed turns. Good leaping ability. Very smart, motivated, team player with a passion for the game. Can line up the defense. Outstanding work ethic. Contributes as a gunner on special teams. Has NFL pedigree [Brother Shane plays for New England; Father Henry was drafted by Tampa Bay].

WEAKNESSES Has tiny hands, short arms and lacks overall bulk. Does not have ideal length to match up with NFL tight ends in coverage. Not an explosive hitter or forceful tackler. Hands are suspect -- smothers the ball and has just four career interceptions. Long-term durability could be a concern.

DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 3-4

BOTTOM LINE A very smart, pedigreed, rangy free safety with the athletic ability and cover skill desired on the back end. Lack of size and tackling strength could leave much to be desired when defending the run. Top-notch intangibles -- toughness, instincts, competitiveness and leadership ability -- should allow him to quickly emerge as a defensive leader and enhance his draft status.

NFL.com rankings have 17 safeties between 5.3 and 5.0. That's a lot of players with similar value. There is even 3 more if you look from 4.9 to 5.5.

A lot of possible variation depending on preference, whether you see him at one position or another and scheme fit.

Perhaps a better question is based on the 8 point scouting grades, where does 5.3 usually put you? Which round?

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    NFL.com rankings have 17 safeties between 5.3 and 5.0. That's a lot of players with similar value. There is even 3 more if you look from 4.9 to 5.5.

A lot of possible variation depending on preference, whether you see him at one position or another and scheme fit.

Perhaps a better question is based on the 8 point scouting grades, where does 5.3 usually put you? Which round?
    From NFL.com:
    9.00-10 Once-in-lifetime player
    8.00-8.99 Perennial All-Pro
    7.50-7.99 Future All-Pro
    7.00-7.49 Pro Bowl-caliber player
    6.50-6.99 Chance to become Pro Bowl-caliber player
    6.00-6.49 Should become instant starter
    6.00-6.49 Should become instant starter
    5.50-5.99 Chance to become NFL starter
    5.20-5.49 NFL backup or special teams potential
    5.01-5.19 Better-than-average chance to make NFL roster
    5.00 50-50 Chance to make NFL roster
    4.75-4.99 Should be in an NFL training camp
    4.50-4.74 Chance to be in an NFL training camp
    NO GRADE Likely needs time in developmental league.

Below 5 you're anywhere from being a camp body to a good PS candidate. I'd think that means (depending on where in each round you're drafting) you want your R1 to be close to a 6, R2-3 a 5.5, from there at/above a 5. I'd think below 5 you're looking at R7 or UDFA guys. Obviously, if you're drafting in top 5 or top 10 and the draft pool is average you're hopefully looking at guys ranked no lower than 7.25.

THAT's why everyone gets on A.J.Hawk (and B.J. Raji to an extent) but that's getting off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    5.50-5.99 Chance to become NFL starter
    5.20-5.49 NFL backup or special teams potential
    5.01-5.19 Better-than-average chance to make NFL roster

Vereen is a 5.3. If this ranking and the definitions are true, then is the depth at safety in this year's draft the kind of depth that let's you sign a UDFA who is as good as the guy picked in rounds 3-4?

Found it interesting that NFL.com has Jimmie Ward and Vinnie Sunseri rated the same. I'm pretty sure there are a few personnel departments who don't.