Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Flynn a Packer

For those who thought the story about Flynn talking with the Giants was smoke his agent was blowing, the Giants are now reported to be near a deal with Josh Freeman. This just came up after the Packers signed Flynn, so it would be a good guess that the Giants moved to Freeman when Flynn was taken off the market.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ose-to-a-deal/
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl 14m
    Interesting sidenote: The #Packers had strong interest in signing Freeman had Matt Flynn signed with the Giants.

Just a Giant game of chicken.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Flynn's going to end up like co-owner of a franchise with all the FA money he's been collecting.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl 14m
    Interesting sidenote: The #Packers had strong interest in signing Freeman had Matt Flynn signed with the Giants.

Just a Giant game of chicken.
    I guess a GM might still look at Freeman as a young guy who was Pro-Bowl not all that long ago, but the wheels fell all the way off last season after 2 mediocre seasons. You have to be looking at him and seeing Vince Young at least a little. I'm happy the Pack got Flynn instead of him. Lower ceiling, but much higher floor.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    I guess a GM might still look at Freeman as a young guy who was Pro-Bowl not all that long ago, but the wheels fell all the way off last season after 2 mediocre seasons. You have to be looking at him and seeing Vince Young at least a little. I'm happy the Pack got Flynn instead of him. Lower ceiling, but much higher floor.
    I think I would have preferred Freeman. Yeah, the wheels fell off, but they fell off in a dysfunctional franchise who publicly decided they didn't want him anymore. He has the physical tools Flynn doesn't have and would have been able to right his ship without the pressure of being the face of a dysfunctional franchise. Tutelage under M3 would have done him wonders, I think.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    I think I would have preferred Freeman. Yeah, the wheels fell off, but they fell off in a dysfunctional franchise who publicly decided they didn't want him anymore. He has the physical tools Flynn doesn't have and would have been able to right his ship without the pressure of being the face of a dysfunctional franchise. Tutelage under M3 would have done him wonders, I think.
    He could not crack the lineup when Cassel and Ponder were in front of him. Scott Tolzien would have started in front of them.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    He could not crack the lineup when Cassel and Ponder were in front of him. Scott Tolzien would have started in front of them.
    I think that was less because he was capable and more that the Vikings rushed him in without enough time to learn the offense, then stayed away to save face. I think with a full offseason, he'd be a good backup QB.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    BS. He failed. Did not put in the work in the film room or practice.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    I think his head was a mess after TB released him, then he's supposed to play against the NYG under the bright lights of MNF a few weeks later...that's not easy. True, he played terrible, but he has the physical tools you want -- it's a matter of whether M3 could work with what's between the ears. The Internet rumors about that are all over the board.

Freeman can't carry a team on his own a la Rodgers. A team with some good supporting players and a coach who can figure him out could make noise.

I think they'll give Tolzien every opportunity to beat Flynn as top clipboard holder. Flynn's a gamer with experience in the system and respect of his teammates so that won't be easy.

Good to have Flynn back as a Plan B. Makes it less likely they draft a QB, especially early, but I wouldn't be shocked if they took one R6/R7 or grab a UDFA and put him on the PS.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    It really is hard to believe Freeman is now permanently as bad as he showed in that awful, awful MNF game. #freshstart
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

I like signing a backup QB 4 months before opening day much more than signing a backup QB 6 days before opening day.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    I like signing a backup QB 4 months before opening day much more than signing a backup QB 6 days before opening day.
    QFT...I think the team was playing with fire with the way they handled the backup role the last few years. Harrell got a sniff from the Jets after the Packers released him, but now would seem to be out of luck. I know most teams, save for the Cowboys and perhaps another team I can't think of are willing to pay their backup handsomely, but you have to at least have one be competent, if not well paid. They just needed to bring in Harrell's competition this time last year. At least they took care of the need now. Good to have Flynn back. He's a Packer.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Last year McCarthy and company handled the QB backup situation about as poorly as you could. Lord knows why they stuck with Harrell for as long as they did. He must have been one of those players who is great in practice but is overwhelmed and sucked in games. By the time they finally figured out GH and Coleman didn't have it there wasn't much to choose from. We'll never know if Wallace could have salvaged a couple of games while Rodgers was out last year. If we recall Flynn wasn't available for a while last year either.