Thread: Measurables

Measurables

Being a stat nerd, I found some of my research on the Packers draft picks and top UDFAs since Ted Thompson took over interesting. It's also interesting to compare the measurables against this year's draft class.

QB
    Not much here. Ingle Martin was the best all around athlete the Packers drafted at QB. Aaron Rodgers was next. B.J. Coleman was the worst. They were all relatively similar.

RB
    UDFA Rajion Neal surpasses Brandon Jackson as the best all around athlete at RB.

WR
    The best all around athlete the Packers drafted at WR is Terrence Murphy (what a shame his career was cut short). Jeff Janis and Charles Johnson are the next best. Davante Adams is better than average and on par with Greg Jennings. Jared Abbrederis is in the middle of the pack. His speed numbers are good. His explosiveness is poor.

TE
    Colt Lyerla would easily be the best at TE. Richard Rodgers would tie Jermichael Finley (tested poorly at combine but I think did much better at his Pro Day) and Andrew Quarless as the poorest all around athletes--which might be a good omen. Brandon Bostick is the top--unless Lyerla gets signed.

OL
    Allen Barbre is the most athletic. J.C. Tretter and Corey Linsley would be the next best. Everybody else is in a similar range.

3-4 DE
    Datone Jones is the best all around athlete. Jerel Worthy is the worst.

DT
    Josh Boyd and Khyri Thornton tie for the best all around athletes. Mike Daniels didn't test--I believe because of injury.

OLB
    Clay Matthews and Brad Jones tied for the best all around athletes. Ricky Elmore was the worst. Adrian Hubbard didn't run the 3 cone, but his other numbers were relatively similar to Nick Perry.

ILB
    A.J. Hawk was the best ahtlete. This Jake Doughty cat would be the next best. His highlight reel is pretty impressive. I wouldn't be surprised if he surprised in camp. D.J. Smith was the worst.

CB
    Sam Shields is the best all around athlete. (Mike Hawkins didn't do a broad jump. His speed numbers were similar to Shields, but his vertical was much lower.) Patrick Lee is the worst. Demetri Goodson is in the middle and on par with Micah Hyde and Davon House.

S
    Morgan Burnett easily leads this group. His numbers were ridiculous. Nick Collins was second. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix is the worst all around athelte in the group.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Interesting that the best 3 DL have been from the last 2 drafts. Has TT changed what he's looking for there?

Ricky Elmore was the worst looking football player TT ever drafted. Weak, stiff and slow.

I think Rajion Neal has the best chance of all the UDFA's to make the team.

I always felt TT had an obsession with speed at the Safety position. Ha Ha is different. Did TT change, or did he just not have the opportunity to draft a Safety like Ha ha before.?
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Nick Collins ran a 4.38 and had like a 38" vert. I don't remember Burnett coming close to that....
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

4.36 coombine time and 40" vert for Collins

compared to burnetts 4.52 pro day and 39.5 vert.

pro days are historically generous on times. Collins runs about 2 tenths of a second faster in the 40. Thats significant.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    OLB
    Clay Matthews and Brad Jones tied for the best all around athletes.
    pretty convincing sign that these numbers don't mean much

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post

pro days are historically generous on times. Collins runs about 2 tenths of a second faster in the 40. Thats significant.
    theres some reports that collins touched the 4.2's at his pro day

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I think Rajion Neal has the best chance of all the UDFA's to make the team.
    I don't know, Joe. It depends on his versatility. If he's more a Lacy/Starks type, then his competition would be more stiff than a LaDarius Perkins as a "change of pace" 3rd down back, especially if both Harris and Franklin are still having medical issues. Perkins looked very comfortable catching the ball out of the backfield and had some good make you miss stuff in the open field. I guess it just depends on the roles that need to be filled. Also, backs have to be able to pickup the blitz.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post

Yes, I realize pro days are historically more generous, and I have that marked in my spreadsheet. However, according to NFL Draft Scout Burnett didn't run at the combine. They don't have any pro day numbers for Collins. So, I'm must going off what they tested. It's flawed, but Burnett's numbers were great even for Pro Day numbers.

Collins beat him in the 40, but Burnett beat him by as much in the broad jump (140" vs 118"). 40" vs. 39.5" vertical is practically a wash. Those last two numbers aren't affected by where you test.

So, it comes down to 3 cone and shuttle. Hard to say who tested better. Burnett's numbers were easily better, but it was at a Pro Day not the Combine.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Blog Entries
    It kind of surprised me that Finley and Rodgers are similar. Most of PR drooled over Finley and Martellus Bennett's highlight reels from college before the draft. The Cali TE just doesn't have the production I guess. Finley just looks so much faster on game film...to me at least.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Yes, I realize pro days are historically more generous, and I have that marked in my spreadsheet. However, according to NFL Draft Scout Burnett didn't run at the combine. They don't have any pro day numbers for Collins. So, I'm must going off what they tested. It's flawed, but Burnett's numbers were great even for Pro Day numbers.

Collins beat him in the 40, but Burnett beat him by as much in the broad jump (140" vs 118"). 40" vs. 39.5" vertical is practically a wash. Those last two numbers aren't affected by where you test.

So, it comes down to 3 cone and shuttle. Hard to say who tested better. Burnett's numbers were easily better, but it was at a Pro Day not the Combine.
    I think a factor you must add in is the size of the guy tested. Collins is much thicker than Burnett. Clay is much thicker than Brad Jones. For instance, Allen Iverson would dominate a combine in his prime, but could he have played NFL football at 170lbs.?
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I think a factor you must add in is the size of the guy tested. Collins is much thicker than Burnett. Clay is much thicker than Brad Jones. For instance, Allen Iverson would dominate a combine in his prime, but could he have played NFL football at 170lbs.?
    Error, Error, Error, examine. I will analyze.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    What were their weights at their respective combines?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    What were their weights at their respective combines?
    Burnett was 6'1" 209.
    Collins was 5'11" 206.

Interesting stuff...thanks for posting. Just curious, how do you determine who is "best" and "worst" at each position? Is there some kind of ranking/weighting by each testing drill (i.e., 40 time, shuttle, bench, vert jump, br jump)?

I created a formula. It's crude, but I think it does a good jump measuring overall athletic ability. This scales the athletic traits to a 1-100 scale.

((6.95-((x*0.5)+(y*0.38)+(z*0.25)))*56.5)*0.6)+((((((a*2) +b))/100)-1)*85)*0.4),
    where x=40 time, y=shuttle, z=3 cone, a=vertical, b=broad jump

Being a stat nerd, I found some of my research on the Packers draft picks and top UDFAs since Ted Thompson took over interesting. It's also interesting to compare the measurables against this year's draft class.

QB
    Not much here. Ingle Martin was the best all around athlete the Packers drafted at QB. Aaron Rodgers was next. B.J. Coleman was the worst. They were all relatively similar.

RB
    UDFA Rajion Neal surpasses Brandon Jackson as the best all around athlete at RB.

WR
    The best all around athlete the Packers drafted at WR is Terrence Murphy (what a shame his career was cut short). Jeff Janis and Charles Johnson are the next best. Davante Adams is better than average and on par with Greg Jennings. Jared Abbrederis is in the middle of the pack. His speed numbers are good. His explosiveness is poor.

TE
    Colt Lyerla would easily be the best at TE. Richard Rodgers would tie Jermichael Finley (tested poorly at combine but I think did much better at his Pro Day) and Andrew Quarless as the poorest all around athletes--which might be a good omen. Brandon Bostick is the top--unless Lyerla gets signed.

OL
    Allen Barbre is the most athletic. J.C. Tretter and Corey Linsley would be the next best. Everybody else is in a similar range.

3-4 DE
    Datone Jones is the best all around athlete. Jerel Worthy is the worst.

DT
    Josh Boyd and Khyri Thornton tie for the best all around athletes. Mike Daniels didn't test--I believe because of injury.

OLB
    Clay Matthews and Brad Jones tied for the best all around athletes. Ricky Elmore was the worst. Adrian Hubbard didn't run the 3 cone, but his other numbers were relatively similar to Nick Perry.

ILB
    A.J. Hawk was the best ahtlete. This Jake Doughty cat would be the next best. His highlight reel is pretty impressive. I wouldn't be surprised if he surprised in camp. D.J. Smith was the worst.

CB
    Sam Shields is the best all around athlete. (Mike Hawkins didn't do a broad jump. His speed numbers were similar to Shields, but his vertical was much lower.) Patrick Lee is the worst. Demetri Goodson is in the middle and on par with Micah Hyde and Davon House.

S
    Morgan Burnett easily leads this group. His numbers were ridiculous. Nick Collins was second. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix is the worst all around athelte in the group.
    Nice information and post.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Blog Entries
    great thread idea by the way.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

I created a formula. It's crude, but I think it does a good jump measuring overall athletic ability. This scales the athletic traits to a 1-100 scale.

((6.95-((x*0.5)+(y*0.38)+(z*0.25)))*56.5)*0.6)+((((((a*2) +b))/100)-1)*85)*0.4),
    where x=40 time, y=shuttle, z=3 cone, a=vertical, b=broad jump
    Wow. Awesome, thanks.

I have to think teams have something like this, but customized to each position (ILB, OLB, S, CB, etc.).