Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ask Vic Causing Trouble

So let me understand this. Vic is under fire for telling the truth...a truth that nobody disputes.

On a completely different note, I can't believe what is happening to our culture (and world).
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    After Brett Favre refused to sign an autograph for my very very intoxicated wife (she was trying to get it for me) on her bachelor party in Milwaukee.....she proceeded to stand up on a bar stool and scream at him for being a loser and a moron who throws way too may Interceptions anyways. She then got kicked out of that bar and puked. Two seasons later Favre won his first MVP.
    Did you ever get anything autographed by Brett Favre?

I once got the book Guy Lafleur NO. 1 autographed by him at an Old Timers game in Saint John, NB.

I was privileged to be one of a very few fans selected to enter the dressing room and see the great Red Storey sitting to the right of Guy Lafleur and got their autographs. That was a pleasure I'll die cherishing.

Guy Lafleur:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Lafleur

Red Storey:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Storey
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Smeefers View Post
    Actually, the 49ers DID buy that bed, having kept him around after he was discharging a firearm in his home while it was full of party guests. Just because the packers are playing extra politically correct does not mean that they were told, by the league, to take it down. The packers do thier best to be a class act org., so the second it smelled of controversy, they pulled it. There was no apology, no disciplanary action, no nothing. You're infering quite a bit from one action that could be taken any number of ways.

And i disagree. The infractions are just about as aggregious as the other- which is to say extremely minor.
    This is precisely my point. He has been a knucklehead before. So have Packer players. But teams don't advertise this fact on Twitter unless there is a CBA coming up. The Packers don't need the NFL office to call to realize they need to take it down because they don't want the 49ers to post a photo of a Packer uniform the next time a Green Bay player does something stupid.

Teams exist to increase the value of teams and the League. Newspapers exist to increase their readership. The issues are not the same.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    So let me understand this. Vic is under fire for telling the truth...a truth that nobody disputes.

On a completely different note, I can't believe what is happening to our culture (and world).
    It was the Twitter blurb about Vic with the picture that got taken down, not the Ask Vic answer.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Whenever you're not sure, it is wise to remember that this whole structure exists to make money.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Whenever you're not sure, it is wise to remember that this whole structure exists to make money.
    Always follow the money. If that doesn't answer the question, then ask, "Who controls the flow of money?"

Wait-n-See Rat All-Pro Smeefers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    This is precisely my point. He has been a knucklehead before. So have Packer players. But teams don't advertise this fact on Twitter unless there is a CBA coming up. The Packers don't need the NFL office to call to realize they need to take it down because they don't want the 49ers to post a photo of a Packer uniform the next time a Green Bay player does something stupid.

Teams exist to increase the value of teams and the League. Newspapers exist to increase their readership. The issues are not the same.
    The next time a packer does something stupid, I fully expect other teams reporters to write about it and advertise the fact that they're writing about it - especially if it's an interesting subject that will pull page views. That's sort of what reporting is. You initially made it sound like vic did something wrong by writing about it. Is that the stance you're taking or did I miss the boat there? I'm not arguing why it was taken down, I'm arguing that it shouldn't of been taken down because it was a valid topic.
    - Once again, adding absolutely nothing to the conversation.

The next time a packer does something stupid, I fully expect other teams reporters to write about it and advertise the fact that they're writing about it - especially if it's an interesting subject that will pull page views. That's sort of what reporting is. You initially made it sound like vic did something wrong by writing about it. Is that the stance you're taking or did I miss the boat there? I'm not arguing why it was taken down, I'm arguing that it shouldn't of been taken down because it was a valid topic.
    No, I did put a mis leading headline up there, not intentional, but poor none-the-less. Or good, if its traffic you want.

I was referring to the Tweet and not the Q&A. Vic was his usual boring, smarmy self in the Q&A.

Next question is how did NFL.com cover it? They haven't been too in the bag for ownership, but I wonder if they venture into this territory when a player (or Jim Irsay) is in trouble with the 5-0?

So the next time a Packer FA signs with Minnesota, you're expecting other teams' reporters to write about it, then?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    It was the Twitter blurb about Vic with the picture that got taken down, not the Ask Vic answer.
    Yea, I get the subtle diff. Point is that the individual pictured has been a complete asshat and nobody is disputing that. Giving visual aids to enhance an answer doesn't strike me as a big thing. As an organization you gain a reputation based on the totality of things. As a whole I think the niners are a bunch of assholes and it starts with their narcissistic coach. If they don't like the picture, stop drafting morons. I wouldn't have any problem with a picture of Jolly when discussing guys from bad neighborhoods that have trouble breaking free. (Did I even come close to spelling narcissistic correctly?)
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Yea, I get the subtle diff. Point is that the individual pictured has been a complete asshat and nobody is disputing that. Giving visual aids to enhance an answer doesn't strike me as a big thing. As an organization you gain a reputation based on the totality of things. As a whole I think the niners are a bunch of assholes and it starts with their narcissistic coach. If they don't like the picture, stop drafting morons. I wouldn't have any problem with a picture of Jolly when discussing guys from bad neighborhoods that have trouble breaking free. (Did I even come close to spelling narcissistic correctly?)
    I agree that a picture doesn't convey everything about an org yet it can convey a particular problem the org has. I just found it amazing the Packers would even step into the kind of situation.

ESPN has this debate all the time when reporting on player mis-behavior. The fact that an NFL team used that photo was interesting, if not remarkable. In ESPN's case, I think the photo of the uniform is a double edged sword. Yes, it can tell you about a franchises current state and should be fair game, but a decision needs to be made whether the report is about the team or the individual.

For the Packers, its like gossiping about your own company's problems. You just don't want to get caught up in it.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    The fact that an NFL team used that photo was interesting, if not remarkable.
    That's the issue. Other teams should leave this stuff alone. These guys, fairly or not, are all under the microscope from the media anyway.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    I really get a kick out of this bit that paints A. Smith as a victim in all of this!

Quote Originally Posted by An Idiot
    The ongoing situation with Aldon Smith is sad. Over the last two plus years, he’s been arrested for DUI twice, been stabbed at his house, entered rehab, and most recently, been arrested after an incident with the TSA at LAX. There’s really no need for any more dirt to be piled onto him, yet that’s exactly what the Green Bay Packers have done this week.
    Give a freaking break. Yeah I'm the one that forced him to get in his car and drive while he was intoxicated. I put him in a situation where he would be stabbed. Oddly enough, I've never even been close to being stabbed in my house. Oh and I made him say he has a bomb at one of the largest airports in the US. The guy deserves everything he gets.

Quote Originally Posted by fool
    There’s really no need for any more dirt to be piled onto him, yet that’s exactly what the Green Bay Packers have done this week.
    I have come here to bury Caesar, not to praise him.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    LEAVE ALDON SMITH ALONE!

Knock it off!

"narcissistic" is real close to the actual spelling of narcissistic.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Sir what's your opinion on San Francisco 49ers DE Aldon Smith...?

Man's response:

Well well let me see...ahh well.....ahhh:

http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_...ep-aldon-smith

49ers GM Baalke wants to keep Aldon Smith

By: Cam Inman ... cinman@bayareanewsgroup.com

Posted: 04/25/2014 12:27:45 PM PDT ..... 3 Comments

Updated: a day ago

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 1h
    Vic rip? RT @art_stapleton: With @packers signing Lyerla, I'd say it's within @49ers' rights to question where they draw line on character.