Thread: Ask Vic Causing Trouble

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Wait-n-See Rat All-Pro Smeefers's Avatar
    I don't see an issue with anything the packers did. Are they not supposed to talk about touchy topics in the NFL? How many other team reporters show green bay in an unfavorable light? You do realize that when they call us cheeseheads that it's an insult, right? This is a non story. It would be worse in my eyes if they'd thrown up a picture of someone who hasn't had very public, very recent off the field issues. Aldon Smith made his bed, he gets to lay in it.
    - Once again, adding absolutely nothing to the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Smeefers View Post
    I don't see an issue with anything the packers did. Are they not supposed to talk about touchy topics in the NFL? How many other team reporters show green bay in an unfavorable light? You do realize that when they call us cheeseheads that it's an insult, right? This is a non story. It would be worse in my eyes if they'd thrown up a picture of someone who hasn't had very public, very recent off the field issues. Aldon Smith made his bed, he gets to lay in it.
    49ers didn't buy that bed though. And the fact that the Packers took it down seems evidence that this was a transgression inside the League. You either don't use a picture, use a generic one, or picture Smith in his civvies.

Reporters calling the fans cheese heads isn't the same as a team owned website calling out a player in a team's uniform.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    49ers didn't buy that bed though. And the fact that the Packers took it down seems evidence that this was a transgression inside the League. You either don't use a picture, use a generic one, or picture Smith in his civvies.

Reporters calling the fans cheese heads isn't the same as a team owned website calling out a player in a team's uniform.
    Actually, the 49ers DID buy that bed, having kept him around after he was discharging a firearm in his home while it was full of party guests. Just because the packers are playing extra politically correct does not mean that they were told, by the league, to take it down. The packers do thier best to be a class act org., so the second it smelled of controversy, they pulled it. There was no apology, no disciplanary action, no nothing. You're infering quite a bit from one action that could be taken any number of ways.

And i disagree. The infractions are just about as aggregious as the other- which is to say extremely minor.

Actually, the 49ers DID buy that bed, having kept him around after he was discharging a firearm in his home while it was full of party guests. Just because the packers are playing extra politically correct does not mean that they were told, by the league, to take it down. The packers do thier best to be a class act org., so the second it smelled of controversy, they pulled it. There was no apology, no disciplanary action, no nothing. You're infering quite a bit from one action that could be taken any number of ways.

And i disagree. The infractions are just about as aggregious as the other- which is to say extremely minor.
    This is precisely my point. He has been a knucklehead before. So have Packer players. But teams don't advertise this fact on Twitter unless there is a CBA coming up. The Packers don't need the NFL office to call to realize they need to take it down because they don't want the 49ers to post a photo of a Packer uniform the next time a Green Bay player does something stupid.

Teams exist to increase the value of teams and the League. Newspapers exist to increase their readership. The issues are not the same.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    This is precisely my point. He has been a knucklehead before. So have Packer players. But teams don't advertise this fact on Twitter unless there is a CBA coming up. The Packers don't need the NFL office to call to realize they need to take it down because they don't want the 49ers to post a photo of a Packer uniform the next time a Green Bay player does something stupid.

Teams exist to increase the value of teams and the League. Newspapers exist to increase their readership. The issues are not the same.
    The next time a packer does something stupid, I fully expect other teams reporters to write about it and advertise the fact that they're writing about it - especially if it's an interesting subject that will pull page views. That's sort of what reporting is. You initially made it sound like vic did something wrong by writing about it. Is that the stance you're taking or did I miss the boat there? I'm not arguing why it was taken down, I'm arguing that it shouldn't of been taken down because it was a valid topic.

The next time a packer does something stupid, I fully expect other teams reporters to write about it and advertise the fact that they're writing about it - especially if it's an interesting subject that will pull page views. That's sort of what reporting is. You initially made it sound like vic did something wrong by writing about it. Is that the stance you're taking or did I miss the boat there? I'm not arguing why it was taken down, I'm arguing that it shouldn't of been taken down because it was a valid topic.
    No, I did put a mis leading headline up there, not intentional, but poor none-the-less. Or good, if its traffic you want.

I was referring to the Tweet and not the Q&A. Vic was his usual boring, smarmy self in the Q&A.

Next question is how did NFL.com cover it? They haven't been too in the bag for ownership, but I wonder if they venture into this territory when a player (or Jim Irsay) is in trouble with the 5-0?

So the next time a Packer FA signs with Minnesota, you're expecting other teams' reporters to write about it, then?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack