Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Still Hope to get Clinton-Dix

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    This is kind of my theory on the upcoming draft, too. I think we will get the "backside" of a run of a position.

If there is a value guy at 21, TT will take him. If the S's go on a run, we get a WR. The WR's go off the board, we get a shot at a decent safety. It looks like the QB's might run also. If there is a good QB at 21, Thompson may pull the trigger on that guy.
    I kinda agree with the first part of what you say, but not at all the part about pulling the trigger on a QB. None of these top QBs are anywhere near Aaron Rodgers quality. Yeah, I know, nobody is hahahaha, but these guys are far from sure thing star quality at all, and we are a LOT farther from the end of the Rodgers era than we were from the end of the Favre era when Ted got Rodgers.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I kinda agree with the first part of what you say, but not at all the part about pulling the trigger on a QB. None of these top QBs are anywhere near Aaron Rodgers quality. Yeah, I know, nobody is hahahaha, but these guys are far from sure thing star quality at all, and we are a LOT farther from the end of the Rodgers era than we were from the end of the Favre era when Ted got Rodgers.
    about the QB - it all depends on how the Packers have the QBs ranked. If a guy they really like drops to them, they should draft him. A QB is always one hit away from the end of his career (so is any player, but a QB is more critical). The Packers have seen the results of the "we hope rodgers stays healthy" strategy. If a guy is there that you can develop over a few years, take that guy. Maybe he ends up being trade fodder or maybe he saves your bacon for a game or for years to come.

Still, I can't think of a guy I would take who might fall that far. For example, Bridgewater could be Russell Wilson or Seneca Wallace.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Blog Entries
    It would be stupid to take a QB in round one
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by PaCkFan_n_MD View Post
    I want Terrence Brooks. Nick Collins II

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...errence-brooks
    "Unreliable hands for the interception. Let several "easy" interceptions slip through his fingers in 2013"

Certainly sounds like a young Nick Collins
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Here are a few interesting articles about who the Packers should take with the first pick. If you are in favor of drafting a safety at 21, no matter what, you'll want to read this: http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/20...ker-c-j-mosley

I agree with the article above if he's available. Obviously if the top safeties are off the board, easy decision. The article is right about what the Packers have lined up next to Hawk the last few years, and what a player like this would do to improve the overall D. I also think the same could be said for lining up a real FS next to Morgan Burnett. That would help Burnett tremendously.

Here is another article that shows what several draftniks think the Packers should do in the first round, some advocating safety, but many going a different direction. http://nfl.si.com/2014/02/26/green-b...draft-tracker/

If you like sleeper articles, here is one that shows sleeper picks based on the Packers needs: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...en-bay-packers
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Blog Entries
    I completely buy into Mosley or Shazier; when I did my mock I think Mosley is gone by then as well as the top 2 safeties.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

This draft is huge for Ted Thompson and the future of the Green Bay Packers.

TT will not go QB at #21. Someone very special has to be available at #21 for TT to use that pick.

We have need at DT, ILB, Safety and TE. All that is irrelevant to Ted Thompson. TT will look at BPA @ #21 and don't be surprized if he elects a CB.

Again ... there has to be a very special player there for TT or he trades down.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    It would be stupid to take a QB in round one
    I wish they had an "applaud" function in this forum. If they did, I'd applaud this post.

I don't care how good the guy is, he would hold a clipboard for 5 years, then we would have to decide, sign him for a helluva lot more than a rookie contract, or let him go - the SAME stressful situation we had when Rodgers' rookie contract ran out. However, this time it would be MUCH tougher to decide, as Rodgers will be a lot farther from done than Favre was at that time.

Trading the guy? You just aren't gonna get enough in trade to justify using a first round pick now, especially with the obvious need at Safety and maybe ILB.

I wish they had an "applaud" function in this forum. If they did, I'd applaud this post.

I don't care how good the guy is, he would hold a clipboard for 5 years, then we would have to decide, sign him for a helluva lot more than a rookie contract, or let him go - the SAME stressful situation we had when Rodgers' rookie contract ran out. However, this time it would be MUCH tougher to decide, as Rodgers will be a lot farther from done than Favre was at that time.

Trading the guy? You just aren't gonna get enough in trade to justify using a first round pick now, especially with the obvious need at Safety and maybe ILB.
    Yes.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Blog Entries
    Not saying that we will or should draft a QB. My post is more of a statement of TT's draft philosophy. If all the slotted players that Thompson has pegged get drafted (highly unlikely) and his #1 QB is still on the board, TT will nail him.

I'd much prefer to see a top S, ILB, or WR get picked. My point was this is a crazy year, weird shit could shake out & if it does, Thompson will stay true to his board.

Personally, I think anyone of the "top" QB's could well be busts and don't want to see 'em picked. I'm "rooting" for the top ILB guys. I just don't think the top safeties are that hot.

Not saying that we will or should draft a QB. My post is more of a statement of TT's draft philosophy. If all the slotted players that Thompson has pegged get drafted (highly unlikely) and his #1 QB is still on the board, TT will nail him.

I'd much prefer to see a top S, ILB, or WR get picked. My point was this is a crazy year, weird shit could shake out & if it does, Thompson will stay true to his board.

Personally, I think anyone of the "top" QB's could well be busts and don't want to see 'em picked. I'm "rooting" for the top ILB guys. I just don't think the top safeties are that hot.
    I'm with the man who's chicken has an addictive chemical that makes you crave it fortnightly.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I don't care how good the guy is, he would hold a clipboard for 5 years, ....
    Maybe 5 years, maybe three games. Next helmet hit could be Rodger's last. I would love to see a guy drafted that can play QB very well at the professional football level. McCarthy and TT know better than I if that guy is in the draft. If he's there at #21, they'd be crazy not to take him.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I'm with the man who's chicken has an addictive chemical that makes you crave it fortnightly.

I'm on board. Want Blackhawk or Dennard if available. Don't think any of the great WRs or TEs will be there.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    HEAD! PANTS! NOW!

However, I bet you liked Ron Wolf's old tactic of drafting some guy (with a name like Aaron Brooks) in the fourth round, grooming him as a backup, and then trading him for a second or third rounder after using him as a backup for three or so years.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

There will be top notch picks at LBer and WR available at #21.

There will be possible help for the DL if Ted Thompson is thinking in that direction. There will also be a very decent CB available.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    However, I bet you liked Ron Wolf's old tactic of drafting some guy (with a name like Aaron Brooks) in the fourth round, grooming him as a backup, and then trading him for a second or third rounder after using him as a backup for three or so years.
    Under Wolf, the Packers had the best backup QBs in the history of football. You mention Brooks, but also Detmer, Brunell, Hasselback, Bono, Pederson and Warner. Go back to 1992, and the Lions, Bears and Viking combined can't boast better starters than those "backups".

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Under Wolf, the Packers had the best backup QBs in the history of football. You mention Brooks, but also Detmer, Brunell, Hasselback, Bono, Pederson and Warner. Go back to 1992, and the Lions, Bears and Viking combined can't boast better starters than those "backups".
    I can't give Wolf much credit for Kurt Warner. He was never a backup QB for the Packers. Wolf signed him as a undrafted rookie and cut him shortly thereafter (I don't think he even made it to training camp). Warner bounced around for 4-5 years coaching and playing in the arena league before finally making it to an NFL roster.

Best backups in the history of football? I can't agree with that. Bratkowski was better when he backed up Starr. Earl Morrall has often been called the best backup ever. Steve Young backing up Montana for four years. I think there were a lot better ones than the likes of those that Wolf had. (Heck, how about that kid who backed up Favre his last seasons in GB? )

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I can't give Wolf much credit for Kurt Warner.
    I give all the credit to Hy-Vee. Working in those grocery stores builds character.

also, you get free hair gel

What a difference money makes.... she goes from Alice to Marsha Brady