Thread: Two Things Can Happen When You Run the Ball

Two Things Can Happen When You Run the Ball

One of them good, one of them bad.

from this discussion: http://www.footballperspective.com/p...comment-105211

Of the top-100 running backs (by career rushing TD), there are 14 who had more fumbles than TD:
    Ollie Matson* -26
    Hugh McElhenny* -19
    Wendell Tyler -14
    Tony Dorsett* -13
    Freeman McNeil -7
    James Wilder -7
    Abner Haynes -6
    Sam Cunningham -6
    John David Crow -6
    Donny Anderson -5
    Bill Brown -4
    James Brooks -2
    O.J. Simpson* -1
    Calvin Hill -1

Wendall Tyler to me will always represent the lesson that what coaches tell you about preferences is mostly blather. In the real world of payer acquisition, expedience of talent is more important to them, at least in the short term. Mike Holmgren learned this when he traded Ahman Green. One of Bill Walsh's bona fides, the kind that color commentators and columnists of the day could easily identify with (as opposed to passing when he should be running), was that he HATED turnovers as the cost to the team of so much field position and possible points as devastating.

Ahman, by the way, was +20.
    Last edited by pbmax; 04-26-2014 at 11:29 AM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Jim Brown was only tackled three times. Being hard to tackle is probably more important than ball security.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck