Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Richard Rodgers Thread

Official Richard Rodgers Thread

Highlight video:
    http://www.patriots.com/media-center...8-eef7f54f3317

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profil...ers?id=2543569

Draft Analysis:

"He's a guy who has talent and made a lot of big plays for Cal, but his fluctuating weight has been a concern." -- Charles Davis

Overview

Father, Richard Sr., was involved in "The Play" in the 1982 Cal-Stanford game, and currently serves as the special-teams coordinator for the Carolina Panthers. Richard Jr. was a receiver-defensive end who also played basketball as a Massachusetts prep. Recruited as a tight end, committed to Cal and then-head coach Jeff Tedford. Saw very limited action in 2011 (13 games). Started 6-of-11 games played in '12 and caught 20 balls for 288 yards (14.4-yard average) and a touchdown. Did not play against Ohio State (ankle) and played the final three games of the season with torn ligaments in his right foot. Had surgery to repair a torn labrum and sat out '13 spring practice. In the fall, played 11 games and pulled in 39-608-1 (15.6). Injured his left thumb against Arizona, had surgery and did not play against USC.

Analysis

Strengths
    Good balance and body control. Dependable short-to-intermediate receiver. Can snatch throws off his body and make contested grabs. Has potential as a move blocker. Showed dedication and discipline re-shaping his body as a junior. Coach's son.

Weaknesses
    Tight hips. Average speed and suddenness -- dull in/out of breaks and struggles to separate vs. more explosive safeties. Unrefined route runner. Straightlinish after the catch. Started just 11 games in three seasons.

Bottom Line
    Rodgers' career arc was affected by Cal's coaching turnover, as the former high school receiver was recruited as a tight end by Jeff Tedord's staff and bulked up to 275 pounds as a sophomore when he was out of shape, in part because of a torn labrum and torn foot ligament. As a junior, Rodgers shed 30 pounds and shifted to inside receiver for Sonny Dykes, enabling him to show his more natural "F" tight end skills. Is an unpolished product, but could be a better pro than college player.
    Last edited by Brandon494; 05-10-2014 at 02:24 AM.

According to Ketchman, after playing as a 270 lb. TE last year, he played as a 245 lb WR this year. He then bulked up to 257 for the combine. The first thing the Packers need to do is decide what weight they want him at.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

I`m confused as to why TT picked this guy. I get the part about picking a TE but just to pick a TE (need) !?!

Does TT burn out after Round Two?

Let's go to a new Draft War Room scene:

Have fun with the draft from Rd. 2 onwards. Simply get some darts and a name chart. Pin it on a wall.

Bring in a bunch of mentally challenged people to toss the darts. It`s like the Special Olympics of NFL Football.

Think of all the NFL analysts that will have to find work at places like Walmart, 7-11's and gas stations.

Have loads of treats on hand...a BIG barbeque to round out the whole process early Sat. evening.

Ohh what fun !
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    According to Ketchman, after playing as a 270 lb. TE last year, he played as a 245 lb WR this year. He then bulked up to 257 for the combine. The first thing the Packers need to do is decide what weight they want him at.
    and take away his ice cream bowl and spoon.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

I will note that his measurables are similar to Finley when he came out. I don't think Finley tested well, and was a better athlete. Perhaps this is a similar situation. And outside of Quarless's 40 time, he's inline with those two guys.

Jermichael Finley = 6'4" 243, 4.82 40, 4.38 shuttle, 7.15 3 cone, 27 1/2" vertical, 9'9" broad jump, 20 bench
    Richard Rodgers = 6'4" 257, 4.87 40, 4.47 shuttle, 7.23 3 cone, 31 1/2" vertical, 9'8" broad jump, 16 bench
    Andrew Quarless = 6'4" 254, 4.68 40, 4.57 shuttle, 7.29 3 cone, 32" vertical, 9'4" broad jump, 23 bench
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

So I went and researched Cal's team last season and saw they only won 1 game(Portland State) and they had a TRUE freshman QB starting for them.
    Even with a freshman QB he caught more passes for more yards then Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Troy Niklas, and C.J. Fiedorowicz last season (they all had more TDs). If he can improve his blocking which I believe he will (Dad is a NFL ST Coach) I think this guy might turn into a real gem.

Rodgers - 39 recs 608 yards 15.6 avg 1 TD

ASJ - 36 recs 450 yards 12.5 avg 8 TDs

Niklas - 32 recs 498 yards 15.6 avg 5 TDs

C.J. - 30 recs 299 yards 10.0 avg 5 TDs
    Last edited by Brandon494; 05-10-2014 at 02:23 AM.

Still not sold on this one. His measurables aren't great, and the tape reveals that he isn't a great athlete. However, I'll reserve judgment because of strange case of him going from 270 pounds to 245 pounds and now back up to 260 pounds to fit the scheme at Cal.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

A really nice JSO article about Rodgers and why the Packers picked him I trust the Packers but after reading the article I understand a lot better why they picked him and look at him differently even though I still see him a yr off just getting his weight where they want it and then getting him used to playing with it correctly.
    http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...258731421.html

I feel as bad about this pick as I felt good about HaHa

What? I thought that guy died back in 1979???

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/mike_zankle/icebowltickets.png

seems to me like both these 3rd rounders are pretty big projects

spending picks today on those guys would be ok, but third rounders?

He reminds me of Bostik.
    wist

They're definitely doing some projecting with Rodgers. He may not have been the best current player available. Bit they probably felt he was the best talent available. I prefer him over a guy like Fiedorowicz based on upside.

Blog Entries
    Brandon...................do you love both 3rd round picks ?
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

He looks huge. Brandon's pic has to be him at 270. There is your red zone threat, 6' 4" and as wide as a truck.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    I'm a bit concerned about his weight fluctuations. Just seems to have a good chance to come into camp overweight.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    I'm a bit concerned about his weight fluctuations. Just seems to have a good chance to come into camp overweight.
    I'm not worried about that. He played last year at 245 and then bulked up for the combine. That might have been a mistake, but I think it was probably intentional, not a result of overeating.The Packers have to decide whether they want him at his 2013 playing weight or his combine weight.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Different eras for sure, but consider another former NFL guy who looked like a hybrid and worked out pretty well...

He played basketball at Syracuse too. http://www.orangehoops.org/jmackey.htm

Richard Rodgers was also a hoops guy in high school. Way bigger than Mackey, but if he can run routes like Mackey and has anywhere near his hands, wow. That's a wish not a prediction.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Not a question about Rodgers per se, but comparing him to Mackay and other older players.

Are parents just feeding their kids HGH with the vitamins in the morning?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    He looks huge. Brandon's pic has to be him at 270. There is your red zone threat, 6' 4" and as wide as a truck.
    2 career td's tells me he's the anti red zone threat