Thread: THE VALUE OF DRAFTING A QB IN ROUND ONE.....and if I'm TT

Blog Entries

THE VALUE OF DRAFTING A QB IN ROUND ONE.....and if I'm TT

Did you know........under the current bargaining agreement.........

A QB drafted in round one is stuck to his first contract for Five Years
    A QB Drafted in round two or after is only stuck for three years.

Russell Wilson is happy that he was not a first round pick

With that being said, under today's current cap....getting those extra 2 Years on the Cheap can be HUGE for a NFL Team

Taking it one step further, if a team like the Jags or Texans pass on a QB in round one

They could be licking their chops to move up into round one and secure their QB to a nice contract for five years of cap heaven.......D Carr anybody ?

Knowing this is one of the deepest drafts ever, and knowing many are wanting to move down
    if I am TT

I'm calling a team like the Jags and volunteering to move down...for probably less than a FMV pick on the value chart

Give the Jags or Texans you first...move down ten or so spots...for a third.

Then you'll have a safety sitting there for you. That's a good area to pick a Ward or Brooks...and pick up an extra pick to boot.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Pretty sure Round 2 is four years. You can renegotiate after Year 3.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Round 1 is 4 years with a team option for a 5th, but the 5th year, while reasonable, is not cheap - for a top 10 pick, it's the same as the transition tag after year 3 of the contract. For the rest of the 1st round, it's the average salary of the 3rd through 25th highest salaries at the same position (who came up with that???). So a team can hold on to a QB for 5 years, but I can't see any forcing a starting QB to do that.

Players chosen in later round all have 4 year contracts, with no club 5th year option.

As pbmax said, the contract can be renegotiated/extended after year 3 - before that, teams/players are not allowed to touch it.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

I would 110% be in favor of this. Amazing idea, Bretsky. The third rounder is a near-the-top of the round pick, so that is basically a low second. LOVE this idea.

When I saw the thread title I thought it would be about TT taking a QB in round 1.

This idea sounds good, though it would probably require a bit of luck with the right QB being there and the Texans or Jags still needing a QB and their GM a bit jumpy that someone else will take the guy they want. If the chance to do this is there, TT should go for it.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Blog Entries
    Don't the Browns have a pick at 26 ? If they don't go QB with the first pick teams will have to jump over 26 then because they will grab one at 26 IMO. Let's say Carr and Bridgewater are there...........just sayin
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Don't the Browns have a pick at 26 ? If they don't go QB with the first pick teams will have to jump over 26 then because they will grab one at 26 IMO. Let's say Carr and Bridgewater are there...........just sayin
    It seems like a lot of the QB needy teams at the top of the draft are not so sure they want to spend those top picks on them - Clowney, Mack and Watkins all look a lot more like sure things than the QBs. Other than Bortles, I can see the others staying on the board a while, but if so I think the team that will start the run on them is the Jets at 18.

Of course, this is the season on mis-information, so 5 will probably be drafted in the top 10!
    --

You have 5 teams looking to draft a QB in the 1st/early 2nd round: Houston, Jacksonville, Cleveland, Oakland, Minnesota.

There are 5 QB's good enough to be drafted that early: Bortles, Manziel, Bridgewater, Carr, Savage.

I don't see why any of those teams would need to trade up to get one of the top QB's.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    You have 5 teams looking to draft a QB in the 1st/early 2nd round: Houston, Jacksonville, Cleveland, Oakland, Minnesota.

There are 5 QB's good enough to be drafted that early: Bortles, Manziel, Bridgewater, Carr, Savage.

I don't see why any of those teams would need to trade up to get one of the top QB's.
    Do Denver and New England have a QB of the future on their rosters? If not, one of them might try to grab one in round 1 due to the age of their QB's.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Do Denver and New England have a QB of the future on their rosters? If not, one of them might try to grab one in round 1 due to the age of their QB's.
    Denver drafted Osweiler in the 2nd round in 2012. I doubt they would want to spend another high pick on a QB. I have no idea how the Patriots feel about Ryan Mallett.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

But you know how that song and dance goes: one of those teams, maybe two, will fall in love with one of the above group, and will feel it has to be that guy for them. So they'll trade up, and the fun will begin.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    But you know how that song and dance goes: one of those teams, maybe two, will fall in love with one of the above group, and will feel it has to be that guy for them. So they'll trade up, and the fun will begin.
    Yup. Or some other team with a mediocre QB comes on the board (I dunno - Arizona? St-L? Cinci?) and decide that one of those guys is a franchise passer. That could start the stampede. Also can't count out teams that have QBs that are near the end of their career - I'm looking at you NO.
    --

Blog Entries

LET"S SAY JOHNNIE AND BORTLES ARE GONE and THE OTHER THREE ARE THERE

This is QB and teams fall in love with Franchise QB's

The teams trade ahead of Cleveland to get the QB they want