View Poll Results: Is CHRIS BORLAND THE REAL DEAL ? Is he worthy of a top draft pick...or is he overrated ??

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chris Borland is going to be a solid NFL starter and is worthy of a round 2 or 3 draft pick

10 40.00%
  • Borlans is overrated in here. He's just not talented enough...botom line

13 52.00%
  • I don't have the stones to post my opinion

2 8.00%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: CHRIS BORLAND.....A HUGE DIFFERENCE IN OPINIONS ON HIM AS AN NFL PROSPECT

Well, sometimes they have a point. There have been a few Badgers that have worked out pretty well in the NFL.

But Ted has hot pants for Hawkeyes.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Blog Entries
    Speaking of that, I'd love to see Teddy steal Hawkeye Christian Kirksey in the mid-late rounds. He's a little light in the shorts but fast and a very athletic player. Seems like Teddy's kinda guy who can add strength and develop into a real player.

Strengths Agile and athletic. Flows to the ball when he has a clear path. Experience in space and over the slot. Has terrific personal and football character, including leadership traits. Two-time captain. Was a 21-year-old senior. Ran extremely well at his pro-day workout, recording superb sub-4.6-second 40-times and a 36-inch vertical jump.

Weaknesses Undersized -- lacks ideal length and bulk. Looks like a safety at first glance. Outmuscled at the point of attack -- gets stuck on blocks and covered up. Average eyes and instincts. Needs to be schemed free as a blitzer. Not a playmaker -- just 3.5 sacks and 9.5 TFL in three seasons. Bench-pressed 225 pounds just 16 times, second-fewest among linebackers at the combine.

I'm not a Badger homer either, but every list I've looked at has Borland as a Round 2-3 prospect. We'll see if GM's agree. A guy doesn't need a ton of speed to play ILB in a 3-4 if he has instincts. Desmond Bishop didn't have good timed speed either. By the way, when I said I'd be okay with taking Borland in the 2nd, I didn't mean I think that's what TT should do. I just wouldn't be pulling my hair out.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

I wouldn't want to see Borland in the second, but I definitely like him. Third or fourth would be much better value IMO.

Blog Entries
    I'm sure there are plenty of guys who project him higher but here's the first link from my google search...

http://www.csnchicago.com/bears/nfl-...-chris-borland

Chris Borland (ILB), Wisconsin

5'11" | 248 lbs.

2013 stats:

111 tackles, 8.5 TFL, 4 sacks, FF

Projection:

4th/5th Round

What the scouts are saying:

"Short, active, athletic, instinctive tackling machine who will have to overcome physical limitations to establish himself as a dependable, long-term starter, though he has immediate special-teams ability and the makeup to push for a more prominent role." (Nolan Nawrocki, NFL.com)

"The highly instinctive, physical (and productive) Borland certainly looks like a candidate for this year's Rang's Gang, which highlights a group of prospects who may not possess the ideal size or athleticism, but are terrific football players. His lack of NFL size and arm length will be tough to overlook for scouts, but he is a heady player who doesn't make many mistakes and has the productive resume that should get him drafted sometime on the draft's third day." (Rob Rang, CBSSports.com)

"Almost all of Borland's weaknesses can be traced back to his small size and short arms. So although he was highly productive for Wisconsin becoming the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year, his lack of NFL size will be tough for teams to overlook. Nonetheless, Borland's college production, football smarts and gritty high motor will certainly be enough for scouts to entertain the thought of him during the end of Day 2 of the draft. There are rumors Borland's size will push him into the fourth round, which would be tremendous value for any team in need of depth at the linebacker position as he could eventually turn into a three-down starter with the proper coaching." (Luke Inman, eDraft)

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I'm not a Badger homer either, but every list I've looked at has Borland as a Round 2-3 prospect. We'll see if GM's agree. A guy doesn't need a ton of speed to play ILB in a 3-4 if he has instincts. Desmond Bishop didn't have good timed speed either. By the way, when I said I'd be okay with taking Borland in the 2nd, I didn't mean I think that's what TT should do. I just wouldn't be pulling my hair out.
    You gotta believe that 40 time is garbage then for the second round.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries
    Iowa rarely blitzed Kirksey, who played over the slot receivers a ton at WLB. Borland obviously played a different position but it's strange how his 8.5 tfl and 4 sacks make him a great player but Kirksey's 9.5 tfl and 3.5 sacks are evidence of a lack of playmaking ability... Kirksey was a playmaker at Iowa despite what his bio states...

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Vince! Good to see ya!

Just say no to the slow linebacker. For all the bitching about AJ Hawk's (lack of) coverage abilities, I can't believe people want Borland.
    Borland is a poor man's Abdul Hodge
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    So far he seems like Abdul Hodge. Perfect linebacker in college. Too slow to play anything more than two downs in the NFL. But barring injury, I think he finds a way to stick. Not worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Hodge....really ? Dude did not have the heart Borland did...didn't put forth the time to study and work as hard as Borland does. I don't see that comparison.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    I am a Badger homer, and for the record....I'd just like to say you guys are wrong )
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

6th round pick maybe... he's just too limited.
    wist

Hes a 4th rounder talent but this draft in weak at ILB. I hope we pass and select a player who is more of a play maker at ILB. Also with his short arms I would think it will be hard for him to get off blocks in the NFL.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Borland is a poor man's Abdul Hodge
    No, Abdul had knee issues on both his knees coming into the NFL. That is what limited and ended his career if I remember correctly. Borland doesn't have arthritis in the knees. He will play and play well in the NFL. I don't think he makes Pro Bowls but I could see him as a starter for 4-5 years before his body wares out.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    No, Abdul had knee issues on both his knees coming into the NFL. That is what limited and ended his career if I remember correctly. Borland doesn't have arthritis in the knees. He will play and play well in the NFL. I don't think he makes Pro Bowls but I could see him as a starter for 4-5 years before his body wares out.
    Did Hodge have that in college or after he was drafted?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I'm with the "he's like Hodge, or Hawk at very best, and we need speed" group, but I voted your third option because it's such a ridiculous option - unless you're a female poster.
    Hey!!!

Borland won't be stellar but he won't stink either. He'll be average and most likely will be a backup. I seriously doubt TT will draft him.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    Borland is slower than Hodge, arthritic knees and all (4.81 to 4.78). Maybe a great effort guy, but you can do a lot better. Great rookie FA material.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Didn't Borland have a lot of issues with a surgery early in his career that didn't respond as well as expected and shortened a season? Arm or shoulder or something?

Blog Entries
    DEARM MAD OR ZOOL; since Bretsky is an idiot he didn't check to show who voted with way on the poll

I'm already outspoken on this; but I want to see the votes of the detractors

Can you change that so we can all see who voted which way ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Hodge....really ? Dude did not have the heart Borland did...didn't put forth the time to study and work as hard as Borland does. I don't see that comparison.
    You might want to read up on Hodge's upbringing and college career. I'm not saying Borland doesn't have a ton of heart and great work ethic, but so did Hodge coming into the league. He was a multi-year team captain and won the team's Extra Heartbeat Award his senior year. 2nd in the nation in tackles, great student, heady player, etc. etc.... Heart and mind is what made both of them great college players.
    Last edited by vince; 04-25-2014 at 06:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    You might want to read up on Hodge's upbringing and college career. I'm not saying Borland doesn't have a ton of heart and great work ethic, but so did Hodge coming into the league. He was a multi-year team captain and won the team's Extra Heartbeat Award his senior year. 2nd in the nation in tackles, great student, heady player, etc. etc.... Heart and mind is what made both of them great college players.
    The extra heartbeat award? Sounds like he needed to see a cardiologist.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack