View Poll Results: Is CHRIS BORLAND THE REAL DEAL ? Is he worthy of a top draft pick...or is he overrated ??

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chris Borland is going to be a solid NFL starter and is worthy of a round 2 or 3 draft pick

10 40.00%
  • Borlans is overrated in here. He's just not talented enough...botom line

13 52.00%
  • I don't have the stones to post my opinion

2 8.00%
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: CHRIS BORLAND.....A HUGE DIFFERENCE IN OPINIONS ON HIM AS AN NFL PROSPECT

Blog Entries

CHRIS BORLAND.....A HUGE DIFFERENCE IN OPINIONS ON HIM AS AN NFL PROSPECT

Is he going to be stellar, or will he stink ?
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    There seems to be huge differences of opinion on Chris Borland as a NFL player. I don't get it. When he arrived in Madison as a freshmen he was too small and too slow to play..many said. Too slow to pass rush and not strong enough to fight through blocks. he's a plugger.......of course....but then you listen to him and watch him play...........and the dude just balls it. I'm perplexed that some of the more knowledgeable posters in here think little of Chris Borland. Consider this a case study to go on record as to what you think of his chance to be a good player in the NFL. If you listen to any analyst or look at any projection....most have him going in round 2....3 at the latest...in the 45-55 range. On Path to the Draft, the analysts said the two great fits at LB for Green Bay would be Ryan Shazier and Chris Borland. But many in here don't see it that way. Curious how this vote shakes out.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    Option one notes he's very worthy of the area he'll most likely get drafted in
    Option two would be of the bias that he's a late round pick
    as a fyi

It's the classic argument: athlete v. football player, except Borland isn't that bad an athlete either, and Shazier showed at least decent instincts. Of the two, straight up, I'd rather have Shazier - pair him up with Hawk; Use him to stop running QBs; Somebody who at least should be great in coverage. The comparison is apples and oranges, however, because Shazier is an almost certain first rounder, and Borland should be there in the late second, maybe even the third. At that point in the draft, he is solid gold - a strong bet to perform better than others drafted in that area. The first name that comes to mind is London Fletcher - a short not overly fast or strong player who has had a long successful career. I hope the Packers get a Safety - ideally Clinton-Dix in the first round, and then Borland in the second or third.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    There seems to be huge differences of opinion on Chris Borland as a NFL player. I don't get it. When he arrived in Madison as a freshmen he was too small and too slow to play..many said. Too slow to pass rush and not strong enough to fight through blocks. he's a plugger.......of course....but then you listen to him and watch him play...........and the dude just balls it. I'm perplexed that some of the more knowledgeable posters in here think little of Chris Borland. Consider this a case study to go on record as to what you think of his chance to be a good player in the NFL. If you listen to any analyst or look at any projection....most have him going in round 2....3 at the latest...in the 45-55 range. On Path to the Draft, the analysts said the two great fits at LB for Green Bay would be Ryan Shazier and Chris Borland. But many in here don't see it that way. Curious how this vote shakes out.
    I think maybe a lot of people here don't like him because they see him as another Hawk. Solid but unspectacular. His lack of height might hurt him some when trying to cover Te's, but I'd be okay with him in the 2nd round if TT doesn't take Mosley or Shazier in the 1st.

But you know TT never drafts Badgers.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

So far he seems like Abdul Hodge. Perfect linebacker in college. Too slow to play anything more than two downs in the NFL. But barring injury, I think he finds a way to stick. Not worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    So far he seems like Abdul Hodge. Perfect linebacker in college. Too slow to play anything more than two downs in the NFL. But barring injury, I think he finds a way to stick. Not worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick.
    I think he has a good chance to be better than Hodge if he doesn't have Hodge's knee problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I think he has a good chance to be better than Hodge if he doesn't have Hodge's knee problems.
    But even before the knee issue, he had trouble breaking into the lineup. He could have stuck around, but I didn't see solid starter.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I think most teams see this:

SI_DougFarrar ‏@SI_DougFarrar 15h
    I've watched a lot of Chris Borland, and... I don't know if he's going to fit in the NFL. Pros want LBs who are so much more athletic.

SI_DougFarrar ‏@SI_DougFarrar 15h
    I get the whole Zach Thomas/Lofa Tatupu argument with Borland, but NFL 'backers have to play half-field at crazy speeds these days.

and that there are a few who would organize their D to keep Borland where he will be successful like Miami did with Thomas. But that kinda D is rare these days.

I'm with the "he's like Hodge, or Hawk at very best, and we need speed" group, but I voted your third option because it's such a ridiculous option - unless you're a female poster.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I voted your third option because it's such a ridiculous option - unless you're a female poster.
    Same. Pretty dumb.

I'm in the he's another Hodge camp. I liked the Hodge pick. After Hodge, I lean more towards athleticism over football player at that position.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

I think BORLANS will be a bust.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I vote that any player Bretsky endorses will never amount to anything unless drafted by a different team.

Pat Kirwan lists Borland among his Top 10 Safe Picks:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/...a-game-manager

Safe picks
    The draft process to drawing to a close and there are a number of players I call "safe" -- what you see is what you get and these guys are the whole package. They have talent, technique, work ethic and look like guys who understand how to handle themselves as pros.

I have interviewed well over 100 of the top picks and watched all of them on tape. Here are my top 10 safe picks and there are no quarterbacks in the group:

Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M
    Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh
    Khalil Mack, LB, Buffalo
    Zack Martin OT, Notre Dame
    Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
    Odell Beckham, WR, LSU
    Trent Murphy, DE, Stanford
    Chris Borland, LB, Wisconsin
    Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt
    Tre Mason, RB, Auburn

Blog Entries
    Borland's a player, but Hodge was a step slow getting to the sideline and Borland is a half-step slower than Hodge. 4.8 40 speed ain't gonna get it done at MLB these days. Convert him to H-back and maybe he can plow some holes on 3rd and short and score a couple TDs before he's done.

Vince! Good to see ya!

Just say no to the slow linebacker. For all the bitching about AJ Hawk's (lack of) coverage abilities, I can't believe people want Borland.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Blog Entries
    Thanks Fritz. You too. These homers are too much to handle sometimes...

I believe, if by "homers" you mean TT supporters, that I fall into that category...

If you mean UW supporters, though, I think I'm safe.

Either way, I'd prefer speed to Borland. This Shazier seems intriguing to me - I'd prefer him to Clinton-Dix in round one, if both are available.

I think it'll come down to a WR, Shazier, Prior, or Nix all available in round one, and a bunch of us screaming no matter what Ted does. Unless he trades down three spots and picks up an extra fourth, then nabs whoever's left from that group. That'd probably get applause from most.

KYPack

Blog Entries
    Yeah I was (jokingly) referring to the Badger homers in this thread...

I'd love to see Shazier, Ebron, Beckham or Brooks or one of the touted corners fall to us.

I think the combination of Hyde, Richardson and a guy like Ward or Brooks would make a good safety team to include with Burnett.