Thread: Seattle signs Earl Thomas to huge contract

Seattle signs Earl Thomas to huge contract

Reports coming out that Seattle has signed Earl Thomas to a 4y/$40M contract with over $27M guaranteed. No word on what it's guaranteed against, of course, but this is still a really big contract for a safety, which has the lowest (other than kicker) franchise tag value at $8.5M.

Young guy, great player. Pretty stout build at 1.78m and 92kg. Hasn't missed a game in 3 years so he probably plays this deal out.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...estpaid-safety
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

$$ BIG money $$ for a solid player.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Glad to see them start paying for their young talent. Once that QB gets paid, they'll be in the same position as us, having to let some go......
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

$40M extension -- that's a good if pricey contract for both sides. Thomas is one of the better safeties in the league. Since it's an extension (contract was up after this year), doesn't that mean they can stretch some of the new money over 5 years instead of the 4 in the extension?

I realize they are different positions, but Shields got close to what Thomas got. Who would you rather have -- Shields or Thomas?

This contract probably replaces the one year contract he was under before.

Usually agent gets out first. It's probably 5 years, 42 mil. 8.4 m/year. I'd much rather have Thomas at that. Another reason a top safety is so nice. They're cheap and impactful.

Seattle is a beast. They have the QB, they're young. Their cap is excellent, and will still be good after Wilson re-ups. The next 5 years, IMO, Seattle and gb are best situated to win championships.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    $40M extension -- that's a good if pricey contract for both sides. Thomas is one of the better safeties in the league. Since it's an extension (contract was up after this year), doesn't that mean they can stretch some of the new money over 5 years instead of the 4 in the extension?

I realize they are different positions, but Shields got close to what Thomas got. Who would you rather have -- Shields or Thomas?
    Had to check - he was drafted in 2010, the last draft before the new CBA and rookie salaries came in, but he did have a 5 year deal. They can stretch the new signing bonus over 5 years, but his number wasn't that low for 2014, he already had a $4.6M base and near $6.5M cap number.

Can't compare a CB and safety salary, just look at the franchise numbers - over $3M difference between them.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Highest paid Safety in the league with $27.7M guaranteed.

Yeah, I was thinking it will be hard to keep that secondary together (i.e., signing Sherman) with Chancellor also extended, but then I realized what GB is paying Shields, Tramon and Burnett.