Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Sherrod, Richardson, and the Rest of the PUPpies

Sherrod, Richardson, and the Rest of the PUPpies

I've been wondering how Sherrod is looking. The coaches' responses so far are as vague as that of a girl who'd been asked to prom but is waiting to see if a better offer comes along.

And if they activate him, whose spot does he take, and do they coach him up at right tackle or left tackle? Or both?

Barclay has of late been wilting a bit. He gets pushed back so much and so far that I even notice it. Clearly the coaches don't think Newhouse is any better, but I wonder if Sherrod is healthy, by the end of the season might he be ready to step in? Would they dare?

And Richardson - after our original Banjo Boner, the guy seems to have fallen back to playing like a Jag who's been cut from Jagsonville. McMillan is still exploring the inner reaches of his rectum, and Doc Jennings seems to have his head up his own behind half the time, too. Does Richardson offer any real promise for the near future? Is he practicing, even?

And is there room for Worthy? Who would you displace on that line? Clearly the team doesn't want to risk losing Boyd, who has shown nothing so far but must have either potential or pictures of the coaching staff doing dirty things with donkeys. So is there room for Worthy on this year's team, barring injury?

And Tretter - has that guy been IR'd yet? Sounds like he needs to be. I heard he just started walking yesterday or something.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I've been wondering how Sherrod is looking. The coaches' responses so far are as vague as that of a girl who'd been asked to prom but is waiting to see if a better offer comes along.

And if they activate him, whose spot does he take, and do they coach him up at right tackle or left tackle? Or both?

Barclay has of late been wilting a bit. He gets pushed back so much and so far that I even notice it. Clearly the coaches don't think Newhouse is any better, but I wonder if Sherrod is healthy, by the end of the season might he be ready to step in? Would they dare?

And Richardson - after our original Banjo Boner, the guy seems to have fallen back to playing like a Jag who's been cut from Jagsonville. McMillan is still exploring the inner reaches of his rectum, and Doc Jennings seems to have his head up his own behind half the time, too. Does Richardson offer any real promise for the near future? Is he practicing, even?

And is there room for Worthy? Who would you displace on that line? Clearly the team doesn't want to risk losing Boyd, who has shown nothing so far but must have either potential or pictures of the coaching staff doing dirty things with donkeys. So is there room for Worthy on this year's team, barring injury?

And Tretter - has that guy been IR'd yet? Sounds like he needs to be. I heard he just started walking yesterday or something.
    I think they will activate Sherrod and cut Lane Taylor.

I think they like Barclay's run blocking. As long as he isn't getting Arod killed, I think they'll stick with him.

Richardson is an intriguing athlete, but I don't think he's ever played Safety in a regular season game. I think they'll stick with a combination of Banjo and Jennings.

Tretter is still on PUP. Hard to imagine a rookie who missed all of minicamp and training camp to be ready to contribute anything, even if he is an Ivy League guy who scoed 30-something on the wonderlic. I think they'll IR him.

I have no idea what they will do with Worthy. Not sure they can find room on the roster for 8 D-lineman.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Haven't heard anything, but IIRC only Sherrod has started practicing. Haven't heard how he's doing, but they won't give up on him, and if he's healthy they won't IR him. I'd guess they'll cut Harper or Nixon (depending on the health of the WRs and CBs) to make room on the roster for him. The other candidate would be to cut Lane Taylor and try to put him back on PS. I would not be surprised if they tried Sherrod at both LT and RT, with the idea that he'll at least replace Newhouse as backup swing tackle and compete with either Bahk or Barclay for a starting spot.

If it's true that Tretter is just walking around now they'll IR him, especially since he missed all of camp.
    I think they wait on Worthy as long as possible before IRing him -- I'm skeptical Worthy would crack the lineup (barring injury) with Pickett, Raji, Jolly, Daniels, D.Jones and Wilson ahead of him. They'll give him a shot at a spot next year.

Richardson is a real question mark to me. Sounds like he's back from the neck injury, but GB has been very quiet about him playing again. He could replace Banjo or McMillian. I think Jennings is keeping the seat warm for the real starting safety. I don't think they've given up on McMillian, but they like Banjo and he's getting more snaps. If they don't IR Richardson, they'll see what he brings to practice and let him compete to see if he's better than what they have. Can't see them carrying 5 safeties, but they've made unusual decisions with roster spots for WRs and TEs before, so you never know.

Kickass Rat All-Pro CaptainKickass's Avatar
    This type of shit makes my brain hurt. I can't speculate under these conditions. I'll leave it to TT & the coaches.
    "Everyone's born anarchist and atheist until people start lying to them" ~ wise philosopher

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainKickass View Post
    This type of shit makes my brain hurt. I can't speculate under these conditions. I'll leave it to TT & the coaches.
    Whaddya talking about? Speculation is what we do, man.

I wonder if the words "speculate" and "speculum" are related. Hmmm.

To me, Sherrod is an interesting wild card. But can he really help when he hasn't played organized football in about two years?

Richardson is even more intriguing, because in my fannish mind, he could come in, get in shape, play on ST, learn more in the coming weeks, then take over for Banjo Jennings. After all, does Banjo have any much more experience with the system than Richardson? At least Richardson's been studying up on paper the last year and a half. But that's me being a fan, being wishful.

Worthy - he didn't show much last year, and right now barring injuries I don't see that he has a role on this team.

Tretter - IR the guy. It's a redshirt year.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    I think Barclay is pushing his guys wide enough for AR to step up.

I think Bahktari is our Left Tackle. Baby Bulaga is going to be a RT next year. VERY exciting that we dont have to use high picks on tackles...maybe a sweet center, Saftey, WR or TE.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainKickass View Post

Sherrod Gets Second Padded Practice

And, yes, that is the good news if you believe in McGinn's forecasting abilities. He does not see Sherrod supplanting Lane Taylor as the backup Guard now that GVR is on IR. He also does not see him supplanting Newhouse as the #3 Tackle. Packers have 7 O lineman on the roster other than Sherrod. However, there is an option here. Barclay practiced in camp at Guard (both sides as I recall) and could serve as a 3rd Guard as needed with Newhouse/Sherrod then playing RT. A lot depends on how the team feels about Taylor. There are also options at center if one of those Guards or Barclay has to move there.

McGinn said Sherrod moved well in the padded practice though he did not get a lot of movement in half line drills.

Worthy is in a similar situation on the D line, though perhaps a bit worse, because while the Packers have carried 8 O lineman in the past, they currently have 7 D lineman which is already one past the usual number. Its also a weird number because Neal should count as 7.5 because he takes reps as the nickel D tackle in the pass oriented sub package.

However, while it is clear that Worthy is being held out as long as possible for healing AND the possibility of injury, Sherrod must have been activated to practice for a reason. I suspect that while Josh Boyd might have enough upside and favor with the coaching staff (who Bob says like his talent) to put the squeeze on Worthy, the same probably cannot be said about Lane Taylor.

But a decision on Sherrod must be made next week as he began to practice on Oct 17th. Worthy can delay practice and the opening of his three week window until the Nov. 18th.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

If he is practicing he can't go back on PUP, right? And could we put him on IR even if he isn't really injured? I doubt we could get away with that...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    If he is practicing he can't go back on PUP, right? And could we put him on IR even if he isn't really injured? I doubt we could get away with that...

I'm sticking with how I felt all along; I don't think he's good enough to get on the roster
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

You will be proven wrong! He'll be the starting right tackle next year! Fritz knows all!

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    I'm sticking with how I felt all along; I don't think he's good enough to get on the roster
    What have you seen of Sherrod's play - besides a stint trying to play guard when he ain't no guard - makes you believe he isn't good enough to get on the roster? He was a first round pick for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    This year, at the moment or do you think he is worse than Lane Taylor overall?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I think they have gotten themselves in a bit of a pickle with Sherrod this year. They should have IR'd him at the start of the season when they could have done it easily. Now, they might have little option but to roster him. I suppose he could suddenly experience discomfort after practicing three weeks, to justify IR now, but it sounds like he is physically able right now. Physical ready, probably not football ready.

I just think it is unfair to expect anything from him this year. He has never participated in an off season program; he had an abbreviated TC as a rookie, but nothing the last two seasons; he had limited playing experience before breaking his leg. He has not played in almost two years, and in-season practices don't do much to get someone ready who has been gone that long.

If James Jones is ready next week, one of White or Harper, maybe Stoneburner could be released. White probably would be the easiest to get through waivers and on to the practice squad if they want. I admire his effort, but he doesn't look physically ready yet.

They've been hanging on to Boyd for a reason, probably for next year. Pickett, Raji, Jolly and Wilson will all be FA's.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    What have you seen of Sherrod's play - besides a stint trying to play guard when he ain't no guard - makes you believe he isn't good enough to get on the roster? He was a first round pick for a reason.
    he was a project, he had a long ways to go when he was drafted to become the player he was suppose to be.

in three seasons he you can probably count all the times he's practiced on both fingers

guy has always been a project and i can't see how he still wouldn't be a project at this point.

if he can't go then its time to cut the cord and plan for a replacement imo

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I think they have gotten themselves in a bit of a pickle with Sherrod this year. They should have IR'd him at the start of the season when they could have done it easily. Now, they might have little option but to roster him. I suppose he could suddenly experience discomfort after practicing three weeks, to justify IR now, but it sounds like he is physically able right now. Physical ready, probably not football ready.
    I have to agree with you on that. They probably made a mistake with how close he was when they evaluated him at TC. He and Tretter aren't experienced vets that can slide back into a role, they both have to learn theirs and I can't see either of them getting on the field much this season.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I don't think there's a problem here. They can place him on IR if they want. Just because a player has practiced doesn't mean he's ready to play football. I don't think they need any justification to put him on IR. It's just their call.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I don't think there's a problem here. They can place him on IR if they want. Just because a player has practiced doesn't mean he's ready to play football. I don't think they need any justification to put him on IR. It's just their call.
    I'm not sure about that, maybe. Quite a few years ago, the league determined that teams were stockpiling players by placing generally healthy players on IR. They instituted a medical review policy for IR justifications. I don't know if that is still part of it or not, but if it is, Sherrod could present a problem. There doesn't seem to be any concerns about him physically, at least none that have been reported since he started practicing.

Have to believe the Packers have held onto Sherrod for a reason. It would be moronic to keep him through 2 years of rehab and then cut him as soon as he nears availability. If it comes down to Sherrod or White/Harper on the active roster I choose Sherrod every time.
    Go PACK

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    You will be proven wrong! He'll be the starting right tackle next year! Fritz knows all!
    No Dice

The Packers OL will really be solidified when Bulaga, who has shown promise right off the bat from his initial season and has proven to be a player when on the field, steps back and excels at RT next year and the Backman continues at LT

Justine....Sherry........come on man..........just give him his full time assignment==IR
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?