Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
Finley is much better than the likes of Quarless. Richard Rodgers looks he'll be a JAG in the Quarless mold to me. Finley changes how defenses cover us. None of our other guys do. (Lyerla does have the talent to be that kind of guy.)
Finley CAN do those things, but too often does not. He does not do them standing on the sidelines with yet another injury. It seemed to me that defenses were becoming less and less concerned about him as his problems with drops continued from one season to the next. He is an inconsistent blocker on top of the injury and drop issues. He is a veteran player going into his 7th season. Basically, he is a player that can not be relied on because of injuries, drops and inconsistent effort and technique in blocking. I don't expect any of that to change, but he still will do things to get people excited from time to time.

He is the Jeff George of tight ends. A guy who has ability to be much better than his actual performances for many reason, including injuries. Every time Jeff George was available, the press and fans went crazy, and every where he went, his actual performance failed to live up to their hopes and expectations.

Finley will continue to suffer from injuries. He will continue having issues with drops. He will continue to be an inconsistent blocker. The trick is determining what value he has apart from those things.

Keeping him in GB would, however, be quite interesting if he can be paired with a healthy and experienced Quarless, a focused Lyerla and an up and coming reliable Rodgers. It would allow Finley to focus on what he does best, while still presenting reasonable options in the passing game with the other TEs. In view of Finley's history, I juts don't want to see them risk a lot of cap dollars with Finley