Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Finley getting 57th opinion on his neck today

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    No shit, none of the deals screwed us, that was the point.
    Finley's deal was a big waste to the Packers. Two years, over and done with, and $14 Million (or whatever) wasted. They got little of nothing on year two, and his inconsistency in year 1 made him average in performance, yet he was paid like an elite TE over a two year period.

Matthews and Rodgers may not have provided expected value last year, but it doesn't make their contracts wastes, because they have years to make it up.

The $14 M paid to Finley was a big waste of cap space.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Finley's deal was a big waste to the Packers. Two years, over and done with, and $14 Million (or whatever) wasted. They got little of nothing on year two, and his inconsistency in year 1 made him average in performance, yet he was paid like an elite TE over a two year period.

Matthews and Rodgers may not have provided expected value last year, but it doesn't make their contracts wastes, because they have years to make it up.

Once again it was not a waste of money, I'm done arguing with you on such a stupid issue as wasted cap space.

Once again it was not a waste of money, I'm done arguing with you on such a stupid issue as wasted cap space.
    Ya, wasted cap space is meaningless. Mike Sherman as GM proved that, didn't he???

Ya, wasted cap space is meaningless. Mike Sherman as GM proved that, didn't he???
    You are acting like Finley is Joe Johnson. BTW who did we have to cut to sign Finley? What impact player did we fail to get because we signed Finley? Who would have started at TE if we did not sign Finley? Did you forget who our GM is? He almost never signs big name FAs, he uses the money to keep our own talent which is what he did with Finley. He was average his first year of his contract in which he only made 5M. Last season he looked like he was on his way to a Pro Bowl season before the injury. We might have paid a few million extra on him just like we did with Rodgers, Clay, and Shields but to say his whole contact was a waste of money is foolish.

They would have been better off not spending the $ on Finley.

They would have been better off not spending the $ on Finley.
    You are wrong, answer my questions then. You are just being a hard headed at this point because of your dislike for the player.

BTW who did we have to cut to sign Finley? What impact player did we fail to get because we signed Finley? Who would have started at TE if we did not sign Finley? Did you forget who our GM is? He almost never signs big name FAs, he uses the money to keep our own talent which is what he did with Finley.
    Who did he not sign? How the heck am I supposed to know that? ..... Mario Williams. The extra cap would have convinced TT to go after Mario Williams.

Who did he not sign? How the heck am I supposed to know that? ..... Mario Williams. The extra cap would have convinced TT to go after Mario Williams.

Oh you mean his 100 million dollar deal? Give it a rest man.

You are wrong, answer my questions then. You are just being a hard headed at this point because of your dislike for the player.
    I don't dislike the player. I just think he was well over-paid under his last contract.

Oh you mean his 100 million dollar deal? Give it a rest man.
    Yup, he was just 14 million short of signing Williams.
    Damn, could had Williams......

Yup, he was just 14 million short of signing Williams.
    Damn, could had Williams......
    Yea then we couldn't have resigned Rodgers or Clay....

I don't dislike the player. I just think he was well over-paid under his last contract.
    YOU might think so but one of the best GMs in the league doesn't. Finley made 5M in the first year of his deal in which you are complaining about him having an average year even though he was top 8 in receptions for TEs. Last season he made 8M and looked like he was on his way to a Pro Bowl season. FYI you complaining about Finley being overpaid while Rodgers and Clay both made over 20M last season.

Finley is a good player. He was overpaid. Not the only guy on the team that's been overpaid (see Tramon, Hawk, Raji, Clay and Rodgers last year because of injuries, Burnett, etc.).
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Finley is a good player. He was overpaid. Not the only guy on the team that's been overpaid (see Tramon, Hawk, Raji, Clay and Rodgers last year because of injuries, Burnett, etc.).
    All that wasted cap space.

YOU might think so but one of the best GMs in the league doesn't. Finley made 5M in the first year of his deal in which you are complaining about him having an average year even though he was top 8 in receptions for TEs. Last season he made 8M and looked like he was on his way to a Pro Bowl season. FYI you complaining about Finley being overpaid while Rodgers and Clay both made over 20M last season.
    I think it makes more sense to look at value over the life of a contract. In any one year an injured player is overpaid if he is injured early, but over the life of the contract he can still return reasonable value to the team.

Finley was not worth $14 million over the course of last contract.

Yes ...I agree but Jermichael Finley wasn't the only one to be treated so richly.

The same goes for AJ Hawk throughout his career in Green Bay.

Ted Thompson was headed in the same direction with BJ Raji IMO and he didn't exactly get that one right in the end.

I feel that BJ Raji was overpaid for this last "one year contract" given his lousy play and effort on the field last season, and especially that as the season wore on.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 06-01-2014 at 08:32 AM.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

You could make a case for Raji except that was all on his rookie deal and no one was complaining about him in 09-10.

You can make a case for Matthews if injuries keep him on the bench for an average of 4 games a season. He is on his second deal.

I don't think there is much case for Rodgers after one injured year.

I think those stand apart from Finley And I don't think Finley's case is egregious. It was $14 mil but only covered two years. Every contract carries risk, but in football, the risk is mainly how long you wish to wait for the player to deliver. He was fine but not spectacular in Year 1. Year 2 was wiped out by that injury.

So wasted? Maybe, but it was worth the risk. Unlike the last go around, I am no longer sure he is worth the risk, depending on the size of the deal. I think he is going to get a one year prove-it deal to show he has returned to health. But even then I am not sure he is going to be an elite threat.
    Last edited by pbmax; 06-01-2014 at 08:42 AM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    You could make a case for Raji except that was all on his rookie deal and no one was complaining about him in 09-10.

You can make a case for Matthews if injuries keep him on the bench for an average of 4 games a season. He is on his second deal.

I don't think there is much case for Rodgers after on injured year.

I think those stand apart from Finley And I don't think Finley's case is egregious. It was $14 mil but only covered two years. Every contract carries risk, but in football, the risk is mainly how long you wish to wait for the player to deliver. He was fine but not spectacular in Year 1. Year 2 was wiped out by that injury.

So wasted? Maybe, but it was worth the risk. Unlike the last go around, I am no longer sure he is worth the risk, depending on the size of the deal. I think he is going to get a one year prove-it deal to show he has returned to health. But even then I am not sure he is going to be an elite threat.
    I hope that Jermichael Finley decides on a deal elsewhere.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

I wouldn't say it was wasted money. I would say he underperformed his contract, but that was due to injuries, not his play on the field.

I don't think it was a bad signing.

I don't think he will get a contract with the same (or better) money in GB or elsewhere, though.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    I wouldn't say it was wasted money. I would say he underperformed his contract, but that was due to injuries, not his play on the field.

I don't think it was a bad signing.

I don't think he will get a contract with the same (or better) money in GB or elsewhere, though.
    I believe your correct.

Jermichael Finley needs to grow up fast.