Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Now here's a real shocker.....

Now here's a real shocker.....

The Packers have decided not exercise their option for Derek Sherrod in 2015, which would have cost $7.438 million.

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-pa...ds-option-year

I guess some of the optimists may have over shot their prognosis

A good and proper time to cut bait.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    So I guess Sherrod and Raji have something in common this year.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

well it doesn't mean they can't or won't re sign him after this year. it just means that aren't willing to hand him 7.5 million for next season based on what he's done so far, which is nothing

smart move, and really the only move

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    Thank God you don't run this team.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    Just because we didn't exercise the option doesn't mean we are giving up on him. I suspect they want to see how he performs this spring and summer. If he plays well and his leg is okay then they may resign him for less money than he makes now. With Bulaga's recent injury woes it might be a mistake to have only Barclay is the backup.

Blog Entries
    Free Fluffy
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

I wasn't suggesting that they were giving up on Sherrod, just wanted to confirm what we all knew would happen. The team declined the option. There was really no choice, it was way too expensive. Sure, they might re-sign Sherrod for 2015, but he will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year. If he shows anything, there will be others interested in him as well. If Sherrod shows that he can be a starter, I think you try to re-sign him as soon as you are sure. He doesn't seem to be an injury risk any more than he was as a rookie. He has had one injury that does not indicate anything as far as tendency toward injuries.

For me, Bulaga is the more interesting situation. We know he can play when he is healthy, but he has been missing far too much. It's been one thing after another with him. How long do they wait to discuss an extenstion with him, and how much are you willing to pay?

What if both Sherrod and Bulaga are hail and healthy, and play like first rounders in 2014? Do you try to keep both? If only one, which one? Their play on the field might decide that for you, but what id it doesn't and both look like starters along with Bakhtiari? It would be a good problem to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I wasn't suggesting that they were giving up on Sherrod, just wanted to confirm what we all knew would happen. The team declined the option. There was really no choice, it was way too expensive. Sure, they might re-sign Sherrod for 2015, but he will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year. If he shows anything, there will be others interested in him as well. If Sherrod shows that he can be a starter, I think you try to re-sign him as soon as you are sure. He doesn't seem to be an injury risk any more than he was as a rookie. He has had one injury that does not indicate anything as far as tendency toward injuries.

For me, Bulaga is the more interesting situation. We know he can play when he is healthy, but he has been missing far too much. It's been one thing after another with him. How long do they wait to discuss an extenstion with him, and how much are you willing to pay?

What if both Sherrod and Bulaga are hail and healthy, and play like first rounders in 2014? Do you try to keep both? If only one, which one? Their play on the field might decide that for you, but what id it doesn't and both look like starters along with Bakhtiari? It would be a good problem to have.
    We haven't had that problem since Tausher and Clifton, I don't see the recreation of that line anytime soon. Thank Thompson AR is more mobile than BF

All the doubters will be amazed when Bach is on the (piano) bench to start the season.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    All the doubters will be amazed when Bach is on the (piano) bench to start the season.
    By this I assume that you mean that we win the coin toss and allow Seattle to receive?

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    By this I assume that you mean that we win the coin toss and allow Seattle to receive?
    I would claim victory at that point.

But no, I am rooting for Sherrod to win the spot outright. I think he can do it if Newhouse doesn't strike from Cincinnati.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I've wondered about that, and if bumping Bulaga back to RT has as much to do with their hope for Sherrod as it does with their satisfaction with Bakhtiari. Frankly, Bak was OK, but I'm not convinced he's the starter there for the next 10 years.

GB could go from having two of the smallest starting tackles in 2013 to two of the larger ones in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I've wondered about that, and if bumping Bulaga back to RT has as much to do with their hope for Sherrod as it does with their satisfaction with Bakhtiari. Frankly, Bak was OK, but I'm not convinced he's the starter there for the next 10 years.

GB could go from having two of the smallest starting tackles in 2013 to two of the larger ones in 2014.
    The position is so fraught with questions, I hesitate to draw conclusions from the move.

I suspect its mostly about their comfort with Bach as an improvement over Newhouse. I hope Sherrod was also a factor in moving Bulaga back.

The position is so fraught with questions, I hesitate to draw conclusions from the move.
    It's about time for something to go right for the Packers, isn't it?

I'd love to drink some of the Sherrod kool-aid too, but if they liked what they saw from him when he returned to the active roster last year, why didn't he see the field? Newhouse still came off the bench ahead of him when they had to shuffle the OL.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    I'd love to drink some of the Sherrod kool-aid too, but if they liked what they saw from him when he returned to the active roster last year, why didn't he see the field? Newhouse still came off the bench ahead of him when they had to shuffle the OL.
    One of the known elements about McCarthy's in season coaching is his tendency to stick to the plan until its obviously inoperative and needs to be changed.

Newhouse had been a starter, he was the backup and he took the most reps at the position. So no matter how high they were on Sherrod, Newhouse would play until proven incapable.

One of the known elements about McCarthy's in season coaching is his tendency to stick to the plan until its obviously inoperative and needs to be changed.

Newhouse had been a starter, he was the backup and he took the most reps at the position. So no matter how high they were on Sherrod, Newhouse would play until proven incapable.
    the problem with that theory is that newhouse was a complete disaster when he was on the field. he was a liability, he added nothing positive to the team

anyone/thing would have been an improvement over the shit he laid on the field when he was in there

if newhouse had been mediocre or even below average, then i could accept your idea, but he almost got a-rod/flynn/tolzien/wallace killed ever time he stepped on the field last year

Sherry... sigh