Thread: Official Richard Rodgers Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Official Richard Rodgers Thread

Highlight video:
    http://www.patriots.com/media-center...8-eef7f54f3317

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profil...ers?id=2543569

Draft Analysis:

"He's a guy who has talent and made a lot of big plays for Cal, but his fluctuating weight has been a concern." -- Charles Davis

Overview

Father, Richard Sr., was involved in "The Play" in the 1982 Cal-Stanford game, and currently serves as the special-teams coordinator for the Carolina Panthers. Richard Jr. was a receiver-defensive end who also played basketball as a Massachusetts prep. Recruited as a tight end, committed to Cal and then-head coach Jeff Tedford. Saw very limited action in 2011 (13 games). Started 6-of-11 games played in '12 and caught 20 balls for 288 yards (14.4-yard average) and a touchdown. Did not play against Ohio State (ankle) and played the final three games of the season with torn ligaments in his right foot. Had surgery to repair a torn labrum and sat out '13 spring practice. In the fall, played 11 games and pulled in 39-608-1 (15.6). Injured his left thumb against Arizona, had surgery and did not play against USC.

Analysis

Strengths
    Good balance and body control. Dependable short-to-intermediate receiver. Can snatch throws off his body and make contested grabs. Has potential as a move blocker. Showed dedication and discipline re-shaping his body as a junior. Coach's son.

Weaknesses
    Tight hips. Average speed and suddenness -- dull in/out of breaks and struggles to separate vs. more explosive safeties. Unrefined route runner. Straightlinish after the catch. Started just 11 games in three seasons.

Bottom Line
    Rodgers' career arc was affected by Cal's coaching turnover, as the former high school receiver was recruited as a tight end by Jeff Tedord's staff and bulked up to 275 pounds as a sophomore when he was out of shape, in part because of a torn labrum and torn foot ligament. As a junior, Rodgers shed 30 pounds and shifted to inside receiver for Sonny Dykes, enabling him to show his more natural "F" tight end skills. Is an unpolished product, but could be a better pro than college player.
    Last edited by Brandon494; 05-10-2014 at 02:24 AM.

According to Ketchman, after playing as a 270 lb. TE last year, he played as a 245 lb WR this year. He then bulked up to 257 for the combine. The first thing the Packers need to do is decide what weight they want him at.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    According to Ketchman, after playing as a 270 lb. TE last year, he played as a 245 lb WR this year. He then bulked up to 257 for the combine. The first thing the Packers need to do is decide what weight they want him at.
    and take away his ice cream bowl and spoon.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

I`m confused as to why TT picked this guy. I get the part about picking a TE but just to pick a TE (need) !?!

Does TT burn out after Round Two?

Let's go to a new Draft War Room scene:

Have fun with the draft from Rd. 2 onwards. Simply get some darts and a name chart. Pin it on a wall.

Bring in a bunch of mentally challenged people to toss the darts. It`s like the Special Olympics of NFL Football.

Think of all the NFL analysts that will have to find work at places like Walmart, 7-11's and gas stations.

Have loads of treats on hand...a BIG barbeque to round out the whole process early Sat. evening.

Ohh what fun !
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    I`m confused as to why TT picked this guy. I get the part about picking a TE but just to pick a TE (need) !?!

Have fun with the draft from Rd. 2 onwards. Simply get some darts and a name chart. Pin it on a wall.

Bring in a bunch of mentally challenged people to toss the darts. It`s like the Special Olympics of NFL Football.

Think of all the NFL analysts that will have to find work at places like Walmart, 7-11's and gas stations.

Have loads of treats on hand...a BIG barbeque to round out the whole process early Sat. evening.

Ohh what fun !
    Just off the top of my head. Lang, Sitton, Jolly, Finly, JJones, Bahktiari, Stewart were all "beyond the 2nd round". And I didn't even list the UFA's like Williams and Shields.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Just off the top of my head. Lang, Sitton, Jolly, Finly, JJones, Bahktiari, Stewart were all "beyond the 2nd round". And I didn't even list the UFA's like Williams and Shields.
    Holy Cow !

My point is simply that TT could have made a better pick at NO. 98.

That he reached dramatically with that pick and I'm standing firm to that observation...which should be obvious to every member here.

Before his eigth pick ( last pick which garnered him a C GRADE for the CB he picked at Pick NO. 197....I graded him (based on my findings on the internet) as having an excellent draft or a B+ average.

Ted Thompson:

WOW !!!... for his outstanding performance overall in this drzft.

All the same and after reading this again...bobblehead... your point is what exactly?

All the same and after reading this again...bobblehead... your point is what exactly?

I thought my point was pretty clear and concise...sort of like most of your posts, I just did it in less than 47 sentences.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

I thought my point was pretty clear and concise...sort of like most of your posts, I just did it in less than 47 sentences.
    Awesome.

I will note that his measurables are similar to Finley when he came out. I don't think Finley tested well, and was a better athlete. Perhaps this is a similar situation. And outside of Quarless's 40 time, he's inline with those two guys.

Jermichael Finley = 6'4" 243, 4.82 40, 4.38 shuttle, 7.15 3 cone, 27 1/2" vertical, 9'9" broad jump, 20 bench
    Richard Rodgers = 6'4" 257, 4.87 40, 4.47 shuttle, 7.23 3 cone, 31 1/2" vertical, 9'8" broad jump, 16 bench
    Andrew Quarless = 6'4" 254, 4.68 40, 4.57 shuttle, 7.29 3 cone, 32" vertical, 9'4" broad jump, 23 bench
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

So I went and researched Cal's team last season and saw they only won 1 game(Portland State) and they had a TRUE freshman QB starting for them.
    Even with a freshman QB he caught more passes for more yards then Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Troy Niklas, and C.J. Fiedorowicz last season (they all had more TDs). If he can improve his blocking which I believe he will (Dad is a NFL ST Coach) I think this guy might turn into a real gem.

Rodgers - 39 recs 608 yards 15.6 avg 1 TD

ASJ - 36 recs 450 yards 12.5 avg 8 TDs

Niklas - 32 recs 498 yards 15.6 avg 5 TDs

C.J. - 30 recs 299 yards 10.0 avg 5 TDs
    Last edited by Brandon494; 05-10-2014 at 02:23 AM.

Still not sold on this one. His measurables aren't great, and the tape reveals that he isn't a great athlete. However, I'll reserve judgment because of strange case of him going from 270 pounds to 245 pounds and now back up to 260 pounds to fit the scheme at Cal.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Still not sold on this one. His measurables aren't great, and the tape reveals that he isn't a great athlete. However, I'll reserve judgment because of strange case of him going from 270 pounds to 245 pounds and now back up to 260 pounds to fit the scheme at Cal.
    This isn't a rant. This post simply grew...large.

That 16 bench Vs the strength of Finley and Quarless tells me that this prospect needs to go Big time Gym. He needs to work his ass off strengthening and conditioning.

On our team he must block well for both the run and passing game.

MM and the coaching staff have to get him focused. He's a TE or a WR ?

MM and TT need to decide which and work hard molding him. I believe I read that his father is a football coach so that has to be addressed in terms of his weight swings and why?

This pick as TT later round picks usually do bothers me.

There is so much still on the board that TT might have chosen as an alternative to this TE project.

I'll toss down a few names that TT passed on:

We need a real solid looking forward back-up QB.

Didn't TT look at Mike Mayock's 67th ranked of his Top 100 prospects ....Alabama QB, AJ McCarron?

This prospect intrigues me as a project... QB Logan Thomas:

How about looking at QB prospect and get his size...Logan Thomas (6'6" 248) Fr. Virginia Tech ...Pick him and maybe look at him as a backup QB but also a conversion to TE?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profil...mas?id=2543767

QB - Logan Thomas...[B] Grade - 5.41 Fr. NFL.com and the next highest ranked QB behind AJ McCarron with his loftier Grade of 5.7 NFL.com. AJ McCarron would have made a solid backup QB. His Alabama background and with teammate FS Hasean "Ha Ha" Clinton-Dix onboard ....a bonus.

Logan Thomas is BIG and mentally strong, reliable/dedicated, athletic ... and a certain leader.

Measurable: Look at his size...this is impressive !

6' - 6" and 248 lbs and 34.245 inch arms and Big 10 7/8 inch hands.

4.61 sec. 40 ; 35.5 inch vert.; 9 '-10 " broad,; 3-cone - 7.05; 20 yard shuttle = 4.18 Seconds

He started every game for his team for a third straight season. 227 - 402 - 2,907 -16 TD's - 13 Picks (56.5%) and rushing 162 - 344 - 4 TD'as (2.1 Avg) in 13 games. Not all that impressive stat wise, but draft him as a serious conversion candidate to Tight End and as a backup QB.

Logan Thomas was team captain. He finished his career with the Virginia Tech Hokies throwing for 9,103 yards and 53 touchdowns, both school records. Logan Thomas played within the system at Virginia Tech and did so successfully.

Other candidates of note that TT passed on:

At CB:

** Keith McGill - 6'3" (211 lbs) Fr. Utah ... Grade 5.4

** Bashaud Breeland - 5'11" (197 lb) Fr. Clemson ... Grade 5.4

** Antone Exum - 6'0" (213 lb) Fr. Virginia Tech ... Grade 5.4

** Marcus Roberson, 6'0" (191 lb) Fr. Florida ... Grade 5.3

** Pierre Desir - 6'1" (198 lb) Fr. Lindenwood ... Grade 5.3

** Ross Cockrell - 6'0" (191 lb) Fr. Duke ... Grade 5.3

** Travis Carrie - 6'0" (206 lb) Fr. Ohio ... Grade 5.3

** Dontae Johnson - 6'2" (200 lb) Fr. N.C. State ... Grade 5.3

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/tracke...-grade-input:3

Ted Thompson has to wait 22 picks today before selecting again in Rd. 4 and Pick NO. 121. how many of these CB's will remain on the board for that pick remains to be seen!? They were all there and more...when TT selected TE Richard Rodgers with Pick NO. 98. This morning I'm disappointed in this "no Pick" by Ted Thompson.

I( feel he had many better options with that valuable compensatory Pick or #98 Overall.

Ted Thompson chose a DT (Khyri Thornton that has potential) yet ignored the DE position and we need there at least in terms of depth:

DE Ed Stinson...6'3" (287 lbs) From Alabama .... Grade 5.5 and *** again a Ha Ha Clinton - Dix teammate.

*** Maybe TT doesn't subscribe to having teammates Fr. their University/College on the Packers Roster !? ***

** How about ILB Telvin Smith - 6'3" (218 lbs) Fr the National Champion Florida St. Seminoles ... Grade = 5.36

ILB Telvin Smith was the Florida State Seminoles' leading tackler in '13 when he started all 14 games at WLB and registered four pass breakups and three interceptions (two touchdowns) for the National Champs.

So that was yesterday...TODAY Sat 10 May, 2014 is a brand new day:

** At DT this fella deserves certain consideration today:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profil...ban?id=2543765

How about DT Brent Urban and yes he`s ..... a Canuck in Round 4-5.

The Offensive Line... and candidate as a draft Pick or UFA:

Another Canuck that I hope TT has on his radar as at least an UFA.... and may be better than Brent Urban and is very strong and smart/intelligent and dedicated is:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profil...dif?id=2543816

OT - Laurent Duvernay-Tardif ... Fr.McGill (Canada) No Conference Info

http://blogs.canoe.ca/krykslants/nfl...y-on-thursday/

Cards GM to check out Duvernay-Tardif personally on Thursday

John Kryk - March 24th, 2014

*** I discovered that he lifted for 34 Reps...and he's very fast for his size. *** He has a 4.0 GPA and is the #1 prospect for the CFL out of the College Crop in Canada this year. He's a Pre med student..smart. He needs to decide his future and is it football?

*** http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/05...vernay-tardif/

Road to the Draft: Laurent Duvernay-Tardif

Measurements:

6-foot-5, 321 pounds.... 40 time: 4.96 seconds..... Bench press: 34 reps of 225 pounds.

Others that TT might consider today:

RB:

** Andre Williams - 5'11" (230 lbs) Boston College .... 5.6 Grade ( Aa later round; UFA or Pick him in the 4th Rd today.

Devonta Freeman - 5'8" (206 lbs) Fr. Florida St. and a 5.4 Grade

Another WR that TT might consider and Pick:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profil...ton?id=2543646

Get a load of this guy:

Here's the WOW Factor !!

WR - Bruce Ellington - South Carolina (SEC) 5' - 9 " and a big so what....and 197 lbs... Built like a small tank and what an incredible athlete !

Combine Results were just solid too top notch ... Grade ...5.38

He's fast and timed at 4.45 SEC; He's strong....15 REPS ; 39.5 INCH VERT. (Top Performer) ; 120.0 INCH Broad Jump

6.69 SEC 3 Cone and 3.95 SEC SHUTTLE (Top Performer) and 60 yard Shuttle = 11.12 SEC and again the Top Performer.

This is some athlete and I want him wearing the Green and Gold after today. He can be the return man we so desperastely need.

Why did TT miss on this fella and take a TE " Richard Rodgers" that won't cut the mustard as he shows no signs of doing so in his college background. Does TT believe in magic !?

If he does then pick a prospect that he can be used better on...I've listed several above that exceed TE Prospect Richard Rodgers.

Today I want Ted Thompson to get his SMART Cap on... please Ted try the fit.

My message to Ted Thompson:

" You have to be given a pass on TE Richard Rodgers (we're stuck with that) but PLEASE.... get it between the white lines today."

A really nice JSO article about Rodgers and why the Packers picked him I trust the Packers but after reading the article I understand a lot better why they picked him and look at him differently even though I still see him a yr off just getting his weight where they want it and then getting him used to playing with it correctly.
    http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...258731421.html

I feel as bad about this pick as I felt good about HaHa

What? I thought that guy died back in 1979???

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/mike_zankle/icebowltickets.png

seems to me like both these 3rd rounders are pretty big projects

spending picks today on those guys would be ok, but third rounders?

He reminds me of Bostik.
    wist

They're definitely doing some projecting with Rodgers. He may not have been the best current player available. Bit they probably felt he was the best talent available. I prefer him over a guy like Fiedorowicz based on upside.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Blog Entries
    Brandon...................do you love both 3rd round picks ?
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?