Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Official Carl Bradford Thread

Official Carl Bradford Thread

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profil...ord?id=2543552

Draft Analysis:

"I don't think he's long enough to be an edge pass-rush guy in the NFL. There is lots of hustle and he has a great motor. This kid went to the NFL Scouting Combine and showed athleticism. But what's his best position? I think inside linebacker in a 3-4 defense. Green Bay just took him and that's where I see him." -- Mike Mayock

Overview

Played for Jaguars RB Toby Gerhart's father at Norco (Calif.) High, where he was a wingback in a double-wing offense. Was present in March '12 when his father, Roy, died of a heart attack. Recruited as a linebacker and redshirted in 2010. Saw action as a defensive end, linebacker and special-teams player in '11 -- appeared in all 13 games, drawing the start at DE against Boise State in the Las Vegas Bowl in place of the suspended Junior Onyeali, and tallied 12 tackles, 3.5 for loss and zero sacks. Started all 13 games at the "Devil" position (hybrid DE/OLB) in '12, notching 81-20.5-11.5 with four batted passes, an interception and three forced fumbles. Started all 14 games in '13, recording 61-19-8.5 with four batted passes, an 18-yard interception touchdown and three forced fumbles. Was benched in the second half of the Oregon State contest after getting into an argument with Will Sutton that escalated into words with head coach Todd Graham on the sideline.

Analysis

Strengths
    Plays with urgency and beelines to the ball. Explosive -- can power-clean 400 pounds and hits on the rise with power. Is effective stunting and looping. Flashes playmaking ability (see UCLA). Explosive tackler. Can play on his feet off the ball and times up the blitz well. Good hands. Athletic enough to fold back into coverage. Solid instincts and diagnose -- sniffs out screens and has a feel for locating the ball quickly. Excellent leaping ability -- posted a 37 1/2-inch vertical.

Weaknesses

Has a short, compact frame with very short arms and gets hung on blocks. Gets locked down by big-bodied blockers when they get their hands on him. Spins in place and lacks variety of pass-rush moves. Cannot convert speed to power. Needs to improve his hand use.

Bottom Line

An undersized college defensive end, Bradford projects to outside linebacker in a 3-4 front in the pros, where his physical dimensions and rush ability are best suited. Would profile best in an aggressive, one-gapping odd front such as the Colts, Jets, Ravens or Steelers.

I want his jersey.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

So, if this guy supplants Jones, is he big enough to play Buck and take on the strong side/Guard and leave Hawk to play Mack (Bishops role)?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    So, if this guy supplants Jones, is he big enough to play Buck and take on the strong side/Guard and leave Hawk to play Mack (Bishops role)?
    No, this guys a effective blitzer. Hawk is the one who needs to take on the guard, this guy will take Bishops spot from what I've been reading.

http://www.cheeseheadtv.com/blog/pac...od-fiedorowicz

2.53 LB CARL BRADFORD, ARIZONA STATE

While he was primarily an outside linebacker at Arizona State, Bradford would play on the inside on occasional passing downs. At just 6' 1" and 250 lbs., he doesn't have ideal height to play on the line of scrimmage but Bradford does have the size needed to be effective as an inside linebacker. Making a full-time conversion to the second level of the defense won't come immediately, but Bradford has the raw talent to become a starter on the Packers defense to go along with a high ceiling. He also has the experience to rush from the edge in much the same way the Packers would do with Desmond Bishop.

Well, I hope their scouting report is better then their knowledge of Bishop's Packer career because he rarely, if ever, blitzed off the edge. He was either an inside blitz or a cross blitz with Hawk going first.
    Last edited by pbmax; 05-10-2014 at 01:50 PM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Well, I hope their scouting report is better then their knowledge of Bishop's Packer career because he rarely, if ever, blitzed off the edge. He was either an inside blitz or across blitz with Hawk going first.
    True, if you noticed they had him mocked as going in the 2nd round. Either way being a former OLB/DE I think you want him rushing the QB over Hawk.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/drafttracker

Carl Bradford | OLB, Arizona State

Bradford brings instincts, fundamentals and a tough demeanor to a Packers' defense that needed to bolster its group of linebackers. He lacks ideal length, but is a good athlete and offers the versatility to rush off the edge, or rotate inside and be a productive tackler with his toughness and instincts against the run.

GRADE : B+

That's very solid.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

I hope and think it'll be the reverse.

First of all he's got to make it onto the Roster.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Like this guy. Need some of his speed in the middle.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    I remember this guy in the Wisconsin game. I hated him, he seemed to be everywhere and was a total pain in the ass the whole game. Pretty interested in the guy now. I hope our D coaches can coach him up and make him a player. GO PACK GO!!
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

Love this pick. He played against some tough competition as well.
    C.H.U.D.

Lori Nickel ‏@LoriNickel 3m
    #Packers Coach McCarthy: Rookie minicamp is Friday & Saturday. Sees Bradford at OLB. Just hoping Finley & Jolly are healthy. No news there

It will be up to Capers to figure out how best to use Bradford.

What could go wrong?

what the fuck is with the brad jones crush?

we don't draft a true ILB, and the one guy we do draft, that could be pretty good at ILB we don't even want to look at there

WTF?

bot TT and fat ass say the guy is gonna be an OLB, even though the sites i look at think he'll be a much better ILB then he will an OLB, and we have a massive need at ILB while having waaaay to many guys already at OLB, but we won't try him there

then why the fuck draft him and not draft a guy you can think is an ILB

this is like the safety position last year all over again

Lori Nickel ‏@LoriNickel 3m
    #Packers Coach McCarthy: Rookie minicamp is Friday & Saturday. Sees Bradford at OLB. Just hoping Finley & Jolly are healthy. No news there
    To be fair, a position coach said his position is yet to be determined. Of course, MM would have more sway.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    To be fair, a position coach said his position is yet to be determined. Of course, MM would have more sway.
    Could be. McCarthy has said he saw Lang as a Tackle but he has been a Guard for a main position for most of this time with the Packers, even in practice and camps.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    what the fuck is with the brad jones crush?

we don't draft a true ILB, and the one guy we do draft, that could be pretty good at ILB we don't even want to look at there

WTF?

bot TT and fat ass say the guy is gonna be an OLB, even though the sites i look at think he'll be a much better ILB then he will an OLB, and we have a massive need at ILB while having waaaay to many guys already at OLB, but we won't try him there

then why the fuck draft him and not draft a guy you can think is an ILB

this is like the safety position last year all over again
    Welcome to a shit-ton more of dunderdummy's 2-4 next year... with rock stars Brad Jones and AJ Hawk on the field for every snap.

I know I'm excited about the possibilities
    wist

I don't think he is best used in a 3-4, but I did see him listed on many top-100 lists and saw him projected into the 2nd round on a few mocks. He's got energy, like the Spanish version of Matthews' longhair bit.

I think this says more about the depth at OLB then it does about Brad Jones. As much as I want to replace Jones I don't think a rookie 5th round draft pick is going to play better then him. We saw Mulumba struggle chancing Kap in the playoffs. It doesn't mean Bradford can't move inside later in his career the same way Brad Jones did. I still think ILB is his best position in the NFL.
    Last edited by Brandon494; 05-11-2014 at 03:49 AM.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    We saw Mulumba struggle chasing Kap in the playoffs.
    he had a bad wheel.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck