Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Official Carl Bradford Thread

Quote Originally Posted by esoxx View Post
    It will be up to Capers to figure out how best to use Bradford.

What could go wrong?
    ask wist43....
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    I think this says more about the depth at OLB then it does about Brad Jones. As much as I want to replace Jones I don't think a rookie 5th round draft pick is going to play better then him. We saw Mulumba struggle chancing Kap in the playoffs. It doesn't mean Bradford can't move inside later in his career the same way Brad Jones did. I still think ILB is his best position in the NFL.

Bradford inside or outside..where will he fit best?

Mike Mayock looked at him and that and said he's a perfect fit inside for the Green Bay Packers.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Executive Vice President of Coffee, College Scouting and Cleaning Supplies said this about Bradford:

“Carl’s a real good athlete, really smooth, fluid athlete. He’s got a lot of twitch,” Gutekunst said of the 6-foot-0 3/4, 250-pound Bradford, who declared for the draft after his redshirt junior season. “He’s obviously had a lot of success as a pass rusher. He’s got relentless play. Inside, outside, I think that will be determined. But we think he has the ability to do both. But the pass rusher is obviously [his appeal].”
    Translation: They don't know where he is going to fit. But his first opportunities will come with pass rush packages.

http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/...&post_id=37621

The prospect himself?

I played in college with my hands in the dirt a majority of the time. I would say outside ‘backer, but right now I'm focusing on what's going on and focusing on learning the defense and understanding that first,” Bradford said. “And then play wherever they need to play at."
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Can never have enough pass rushers...training camp can't come fast enough.

The personnel decisions over the last few years hint at more of a 4 man front. Maybe he's a nickel package DE in a four man front, in the style of Keith McKenzie?

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    I think this says more about the depth at OLB then it does about Brad Jones. As much as I want to replace Jones I don't think a rookie 5th round draft pick is going to play better then him. We saw Mulumba struggle chancing Kap in the playoffs. It doesn't mean Bradford can't move inside later in his career the same way Brad Jones did. I still think ILB is his best position in the NFL.
    Of course Mulumba struggled to catch Kap. Its tough to run down a speedy QB limping.

Bradford was a 4th round selection who was projected to go as high as round 2. Round 4 was the lowest projection. Of course, that means diddly squat, but he was pretty well-liked. I'd like to see him get a shot inside immediately. We have enough OLB candidates with Clay, Perry, Peppers, Neal, Mulumba, Palmer. On the other hand, I wouldn't be shocked if Lattimore challenged for Jones's ILB spot. He was pretty solid last year and he could be a lot better with more playing experience. Next to Adams, this is my favorite pick. This guy is a baller. Wist's type of player. Not sure why he doesn't like that pick. Athletic, hard-nosed, all out effort. This guy has to be given a shot at ILB. I hope they don't wait too long to make the move. He's not quite athletic, but the dude reminds me a bit of Junior Seau.
    Last edited by HarveyWallbangers; 05-12-2014 at 01:53 AM.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Bradford was a 4th round selection who was projected to go as high as round 2. Round 4 was the lowest projection. Of course, that means diddly squat, but he was pretty well-liked. I'd like to see him get a shot inside immediately. We have enough OLB candidates with Clay, Perry, Peppers, Neal, Mulumba, Palmer. On the other hand, I wouldn't be shocked if Lattimore challenged for Jones's ILB spot. He was pretty solid last year and he could be a lot better with more playing experience. Next to Adams, this is my favorite pick. This guy is a baller. Wist's type of player. Not sure why he doesn't like that pick. Athletic, hard-nosed, all out effort. This guy has to be given a shot at ILB. I hope they don't wait too long to make the move. He's not quite athletic, but the dude reminds me a bit of Junior Seau.
    After the pick of Bradford and some immediate research, I really liked this pick, and assumed he'd get a shot at ILB. Comments from McCarthy seem to indicate that he'll play OLB, which puzzles me. As Harvey said, I think we have enough OLB players that Bradford is just going to get lost in the shuffle.

James Harrison came in at 6', 250. It's not unheard of, but maybe less common.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Perhaps he can supplant mighty Nate Palmer.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/sta.../sackseer-2014

For those not familiar with sackSEER, it isn't always accurate, but it did predict Mike Daniels would be a plus pass rusher.

Bradford is higher ranked in his passrushing projection than Scott Crichton, the player the Vikings took in the third round.

Interesting is that both Jackson Jeffcoat (Tenn) and Adrian Hubbard (Bama) are rated highish, but went undrafted.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    For those not familiar with sackSEER, it isn't always accurate
    It sure didn't properly diagnose my testicular cancer
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    My take is that he fell because he's an odd enough shape to make him positionally ambiguous. Will his extreme lack of length hurt him more taking on lineman or trying to cover tight ends? His best athletic traits and experience are as an edge rusher, so I'd think that's plan A just in case he proves effective. In the likely event that he's not the next Terrell Suggs (a successful edge rusher with his body type), he should be able to at least compete with our ILB and be able to back up all 4 LB spots.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    My take is that he fell because he's an odd enough shape to make him positionally ambiguous.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Radio today said his coach praised him as the best pressure player he had seen. They designed a unique position for him (devilbacker) to take advantage of his skills.

Blogger for ASU said while he had played all over the defense with a huge degree of latitude, one place he didn't spend much time was ILB. Prior to Packer pick, most teams and scouts were telling people close to ASU (media, not coaches) that he would need a position switch.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Would be nice to see him as an inside backer. He could pressure for sure, and he actually has plus size on the inside. I wonder if he'll have adequate range and coverage ability?

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Moving Rookie LB Carl Bradford for a solid inside and LBer would threaten the Hawk / Jones LOVE fest.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    I was watching some 2013 ASU games to get a feel for what to expect from Damarious Randall and #52 kept making plays. Eventually I realized that guy is Carl Bradford.

What an absolute maniac this guy was on the college football field. I think its worth bumping this thread to discuss where he might fit in for 2015 because as the roster stands he's the primary competition for what is sure to be the weakest and shallowest position group on the defense.

Anyone else curious to see what he does now that his position has been solidified for an off season?
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

I was watching some 2013 ASU games to get a feel for what to expect from Damarious Randall and #52 kept making plays. Eventually I realized that guy is Carl Bradford.

What an absolute maniac this guy was on the college football field. I think its worth bumping this thread to discuss where he might fit in for 2015 because as the roster stands he's the primary competition for what is sure to be the weakest and shallowest position group on the defense.

Anyone else curious to see what he does now that his position has been solidified for an off season?
    Some of this depends on how fast a learner he is. If he's picked up on the position, he can play fast(er) than he did last training camp, and we'll see if he has the skills to play ILB in the NFL.

I suppose we can't expect him to cover the speedy TE's or running backs coming out of the backfield, but maybe he can play in certain situations so Matthews can go back to his beloved outside.

Personally, I don't see why Matthews would care - he got more sacks from inside than outside last year. Maybe it's because he can't just roam free as much.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Good bump. I looked at the highlight reel, and anyone can look good on a highlight tape - well, except Joey Thomas. Still, kid has some talent. I would say he has to show progress in preseason ("The game has to slow down for him"). These are the guys that make those PS games worth watching.