Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Official Carl Bradford Thread

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Some of this depends on how fast a learner he is. If he's picked up on the position, he can play fast(er) than he did last training camp, and we'll see if he has the skills to play ILB in the NFL.

I suppose we can't expect him to cover the speedy TE's or running backs coming out of the backfield, but maybe he can play in certain situations so Matthews can go back to his beloved outside.

Personally, I don't see why Matthews would care - he got more sacks from inside than outside last year. Maybe it's because he can't just roam free as much.
    He's not particularly fast but he's in the right window for the position. He had a little weight to lose once the OLB dream was dead as well which should speed him up some. I think the bigger concern in coverage is his lack of length. He was forgettable in last years preseason at ILB but didn't embarrass himself or anything. What I'd like to see is the stuff you can't coach show up this year. The explosive hits and 2nd effort heroics and whatnot. That's what made him special at ASU IMO.

Sacks correlate with pressure and thus are used to measure it but they aren't the same thing. Clay can bring pressure every passing down as an OLB. He can draw double teams and free up teammates. He also has the incredibly rare ability to catch a NFL running play from the backside which he's not in position to do as an ILB. There is a reason he gets paid more than any ILB in the league and if he wants to continue to get paid more than any ILB in the league he'll have to not become one.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    He's not particularly fast but he's in the right window for the position. He had a little weight to lose once the OLB dream was dead as well which should speed him up some. I think the bigger concern in coverage is his lack of length. He was forgettable in last years preseason at ILB but didn't embarrass himself or anything. What I'd like to see is the stuff you can't coach show up this year. The explosive hits and 2nd effort heroics and whatnot. That's what made him special at ASU IMO.

Sacks correlate with pressure and thus are used to measure it but they aren't the same thing. Clay can bring pressure every passing down as an OLB. He can draw double teams and free up teammates. He also has the incredibly rare ability to catch a NFL running play from the backside which he's not in position to do as an ILB. There is a reason he gets paid more than any ILB in the league and if he wants to continue to get paid more than any ILB in the league he'll have to not become one.

Well, one thing you know Russ Ball better not do next time around with Clay is to try to use ILB salaries to justify a low-ballish offer.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Good bump. I looked at the highlight reel, and anyone can look good on a highlight tape - well, except Joey Thomas. Still, kid has some talent. I would say he has to show progress in preseason ("The game has to slow down for him"). These are the guys that make those PS games worth watching.
    That's true, but when you look good on someone else's highlight tape, then you may have something there.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.