Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: The So Early It's Both Awesome & Stupid Thread- Pick the 53

Drafting is about being the least terrible.

QB (3) Rodgers, Flynn, Tolzien
    RB (4) Lacy, Starks, Harris, Kuhn
    WR (5) Nelson, Cobb, Boykin, Adams, Janis
    TE (4) Bostick, Quarless, Rodgers, Taylor
    OL (8) Linsley, Tretter, Lang, Sitton, Bakhtiari, Bulaga, Sherrod, Taylor
    DL (6) Boyd, Jones, Thornton, Daniels, Pennel, Raji
    OLB (6) Bradford, Matthews, Elliott, Perry, Neal, Peppers
    ILB (4) Barrington, Hawk, Brad Jones, Lattimore
    CB (5) Bush, Hayward, House, Shields, Williams
    S (5) Hyde, Burnett, Clinton-Dix, Richardson, Banjo
    ST (3) Crosby, Masthay, Goode

IR: Abbrederis, Barclay, Lyerla

PUP: Guion

PS: Gerhart, Aaron Adams Goodson, Doughty, Thomas, Rajion Neal, Perillo, Dorsey*

*Not sure if Dorsey qualifies for PS.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    QB (3) Rodgers, Flynn, Tolzien
    RB (4) Lacy, Starks, Harris, Kuhn
    WR (5) Nelson, Cobb, Boykin, Adams, Janis
    TE (4) Bostick, Quarless, Rodgers, Taylor
    OL (8) Linsley, Tretter, Lang, Sitton, Bakhtiari, Bulaga, Sherrod, Taylor
    DL (6) Boyd, Jones, Thornton, Daniels, Pennel, Raji
    OLB (6) Bradford, Matthews, Elliott, Perry, Neal, Peppers
    ILB (4) Barrington, Hawk, Brad Jones, Lattimore
    CB (5) Bush, Hayward, House, Shields, Williams
    S (5) Hyde, Burnett, Clinton-Dix, Richardson, Banjo
    ST (3) Crosby, Masthay, Goode

IR: Abbrederis, Barclay, Lyerla

PUP: Guion

PS: Gerhart, Aaron Adams Goodson, Doughty, Thomas, Rajion Neal, Perillo, Dorsey*

*Not sure if Dorsey qualifies for PS.
    I like this projection. I had kept Palmer on because of special teams, but I can't see them cutting a guy with Elliott's pass rush potential. I'm not sure Bradford deserves to stick, but he was a 4th round pick. Plus, if he can't play OLB, he still offers potential at ILB. It will be interesting to see how Guion performs. I'm guessing they'll give Pennel some snaps earlier in the game to see how he does against better competition. Rolle would be one of the tougher cuts for me. I know Harris had the fumble, but I liked the way he ran. I think this game actually helped his stock--since it looks like he's closer to where he was before the injury.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

I am fully off the Perry Bandwagon. I still had a toe on there, but after seeing him look very average against the 2s and 3s this week, it wouldn't shock me at all if he were cut.

I thought Perry looked fine. Had some decent bull rushes and set a hard edge in the run game. If I get time to rewatch, I'll focus on him. He doesn't have the agility to get around the edge--like Clay. He does have a good bull rush and pushes the pocket and sets up other guys. I thought Daniels had a great game.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

There's a step down from Clay & Peppers to Neal & Perry, but if you want to see anemic pass rush watch Palmer, Mulumba, & Bradford.

I am pretty excited to see more of Jay Elliott in this next game. If he plays well again, he stands a decent chance of bumping Mulumba or perhaps Palmer.

Mike McCartney ‏@MikeMcCartney7 3h
    NFL supposedly going to increase Practice Squad from 8 to 10 players. That'll be good for the 64 additional players working.

This guy is usually pretty legit but I have not seen it elsewhere.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Jayrone Elliott against good competition (Florida & Missouri):
    http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9619784
    http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9645691

Most of his sacks come via speed off the edge, but this was a nice play.
    http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9883622

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    I thought Perry looked fine. Had some decent bull rushes and set a hard edge in the run game. If I get time to rewatch, I'll focus on him. He doesn't have the agility to get around the edge--like Clay. He does have a good bull rush and pushes the pocket and sets up other guys. I thought Daniels had a great game.
    I was hoping to see him jump off the screen a bit against what should be inferior talent. He just doesn't and maybe he's peaked?

The thing that bothers me just a little bit is that all of them, Perry, Peppers, even Jayrone did their best work from the Right OLB spot - where Clay plays most of the time. I'd love to see one of them show some bookend ability from the left side. However, it's still early, and I doubt the Packer D is giving anybody the real thing to have a film of.

The game is going to be shown at 10 am EDT this morning on the NFLN.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    The thing that bothers me just a little bit is that all of them, Perry, Peppers, even Jayrone did their best work from the Right OLB spot - where Clay plays most of the time. I'd love to see one of them show some bookend ability from the left side. However, it's still early, and I doubt the Packer D is giving anybody the real thing to have a film of.
    I think Clay's been playing LOLB a lot this year. He's played there before, including 2010.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    The game is going to be shown at 10 am EDT this morning on the NFLN.
    Edit: The NFLN website lied. The game is going to shown in the middle of the night later on.

QB (3) Aaron Rodgers, Matt Flynn, Scott Tolzien
    RB (4) Eddie Lacy, James Starks, DuJuan Harris, John Kuhn
    WR (5) Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, Jarrett Boykin, Davante Adams, Jeff Janis
    TE (4) Richard Rodgers, Brandon Bostick, Andrew Quarless, Jake Stoneburner
    OL (8) David Bakhtiari, Josh Sitton, J.C. Tretter, T.J. Lang, Bryan Bulaga, Derek Sherrod, Corey Linsley, Lane Taylor
    DL (6) Mike Daniels, B.J. Raji, Datone Jones, Josh Boyd, Khyri Thornton, Mike Pennel
    OLB (6) Clay Matthews, Julius Peppers, Mike Neal, Nick Perry, Andy Mulumba, Jayrone Elliott
    ILB (4) Brad Jones, A.J. Hawk, Sam Barrington, Jamari Lattimore
    CB (5) Sam Shields, Tramon Williams, Casey Hayward, Davon House, Jarrett Bush
    S (5) Morgan Burnett, Micah Hyde, Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix, Sean Richardson, Chris Banjo
    ST (3) Mason Crosby, Tim Masthay, Brett Goode

IR: Jared Abbrederis, Don Barclay, Colt Lyerla
    PUP: Letroy Guion
    PS: RB Rajion Neal, WR Myles White, WR Kevin Dorsey, TE Justin Perillo, OT Aaron Adams, OC Garth Gerhart, LB Carl Bradford*, LB Joe Thomas, CB Jumal Rolle

*Being a 4th round pick, Bradford probably wouldn't clear waivers. If he's claimed, I'll give the spot to DL Carlos Gray. The Packers may think Bradford has a future at ILB though, so it wouldn't surprise if they kept him.

The other tough calls were Ryan Taylor vs. Stoneburner (or even Perillo) at TE and Elliott vs. Nate Palmer at OLB. The fact that other players have been getting reps on the top special teams units over Taylor and Palmer may mean these guys may not make it on their special teams abilities alone. A lot will depend on how some new guys do on special teams. I think Elliott will get his chance in the next game, but I really like his pass rush potential... even going back to the first preseason game. I watched a bit more of the last preseason game. I thought Mulumba and Lane Taylor had bounce back games and may have solidified their spots on the roster. I think Brad Jones has been quietly fantastic in the first two preseason games--while Lattimore has been a disappointment. He's had several coverage breakdowns. Barrington has had a good preseason.

Blog Entries
    QB (3) Aaron Rodgers, Matt Flynn, Scott Tolzien
    RB (4) Eddie Lacy, James Starks, DuJuan Harris, John Kuhn
    WR (5) Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, Jarrett Boykin, Davante Adams, Jeff Janis
    TE (4) Richard Rodgers, Brandon Bostick, Andrew Quarless, Jake Stoneburner
    OL (8) David Bakhtiari, Josh Sitton, J.C. Tretter, T.J. Lang, Bryan Bulaga, Derek Sherrod, Corey Linsley, Lane Taylor
    DL (6) Mike Daniels, B.J. Raji, Datone Jones, Josh Boyd, Khyri Thornton, Mike Pennel
    OLB (6) Clay Matthews, Julius Peppers, Mike Neal, Nick Perry, Andy Mulumba, Jayrone Elliott
    ILB (4) Brad Jones, A.J. Hawk, Sam Barrington, Jamari Lattimore
    CB (5) Sam Shields, Tramon Williams, Casey Hayward, Davon House, Jarrett Bush
    S (5) Morgan Burnett, Micah Hyde, Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix, Sean Richardson, Chris Banjo
    ST (3) Mason Crosby, Tim Masthay, Brett Goode

IR: Jared Abbrederis, Don Barclay, Colt Lyerla
    PUP: Letroy Guion
    PS: RB Rajion Neal, WR Myles White, WR Kevin Dorsey, TE Justin Perillo, OT Aaron Adams, OC Garth Gerhart, LB Carl Bradford*, LB Joe Thomas, CB Jumal Rolle

*Being a 4th round pick, Bradford probably wouldn't clear waivers. If he's claimed, I'll give the spot to DL Carlos Gray. The Packers may think Bradford has a future at ILB though, so it wouldn't surprise if they kept him.

The other tough calls were Ryan Taylor vs. Stoneburner (or even Perillo) at TE and Elliott vs. Nate Palmer at OLB. The fact that other players have been getting reps on the top special teams units over Taylor and Palmer may mean these guys may not make it on their special teams abilities alone. A lot will depend on how some new guys do on special teams. I think Elliott will get his chance in the next game, but I really like his pass rush potential... even going back to the first preseason game. I watched a bit more of the last preseason game. I thought Mulumba and Lane Taylor had bounce back games and may have solidified their spots on the roster. I think Brad Jones has been quietly fantastic in the first two preseason games--while Lattimore has been a disappointment. He's had several coverage breakdowns. Barrington has had a good preseason.
    Solid analysis, Harve.

I'd like to see Ryan Taylor cut bc I'm sick of waiting for him to do something and I really don't see his ST skill set as being all that. We probably go 8 OL bc we don't have a 9th worth being on the roster. I feel sorry for Bradford, I think they asked him to do a job he couldn't handle and we may lose a good player over it. 3 QB's? probably. Both TT and M3 don't want to go thru last season's back-up QB nightmare. HH, Flynn is the back-up QB by a good margin.

I'd like a solid big back RB, Harris is such a mite I dunno if he can last another season, even as a back-up.

Agree on Brad Jones, he's many posters whipping boy, the guy has skills.

Lattimore better get going, I could see them picking up an ILB if one becomes available, there will be some out there.

While I think they might keep 3 QBs initially if the roster is healthy and they don't have 3 or 4 keepers who are unable to play, I think it is a waste of a roster spot when they start getting injuries. I know, I know, they needed 3 last year, but what are the chances that they will again? Only once in the last 22 years have they had to play their third QB. The chances of it happening again are small.

I doubt there will be much interest in either Flynn or Tolzien if they are waived. Nobody wants to bring in a cold QB after they have been working with others in their system all summer. What TT did last year was very unusual. Besides, Flynn has been a flop everywhere but GB, and there will be more experienced QBs than Tolzien who will be looking for work. The appeal with Tolzien last year was that he was practice squad eligible. That is gone for him now.

Most of his sacks come via speed off the edge, but this was a nice play.
    http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9883622
    Great reaction after jumping to bat down a ball.
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    The appeal with Tolzien last year was that he was practice squad eligible. That is gone for him now.
    BTW, what's the point of having eligibility requirements for the practice squad? Why not just let anybody be eligible?

All I can think of is that the player's union hates the practice squad because it takes away real jobs with real good pay.

As a fan, I just want larger rosters so there is a better product on the field. Maybe less player movement. Practice squads help stabilize things in a small way

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    BTW, what's the point of having eligibility requirements for the practice squad? Why not just let anybody be eligible?

All I can think of is that the player's union hates the practice squad because it takes away real jobs with real good pay.

As a fan, I just want larger rosters so there is a better product on the field. Maybe less player movement. Practice squads help stabilize things in a small way
    Since the player is free to sign with anyone either on a practice squad or a regular roster after he is released from a training camp roster; and since he is free to leaving the practice squad to go to any team's regular roster, there doesn't seem to be any good reason to limit eligibility, does there?

Maybe this is the league and union trying to have a decent apprenticeship program.