Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The So Early It's Both Awesome & Stupid Thread- Pick the 53

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    I agree with McGinn's take on Bradford. At OLB he has physical limitations. He has done next to nothing and doesn't flash much potential. I disagree with him on Thornton. McGinn had this same take after the first two games. I saw enough to be intrigued by Thornton's potential. I haven't watched his play closely from the most recent game. I think you give a big guy with potential more time--especially when you aren't tremendously deep at the position (with Raji and Guion out). Goodson definitely made more plays in the most recent game, but Rolle looks to be a better athlete and he's more polished. I think Goodson is a candidate for the PS. I only list 8 guys because I'm not entirely clear on the new rule and I'm not positive which guys qualify for the extra two spots.
    Late in McGinn's article, he praises Josh Boyd. In last year's training camp, Boyd was no more impressive than Thornton is this year. I remember Trgovac talking about how "Boyd is being asked to do some things he hasn't done before". Yet by late in the season, Boyd was a contributor, and he's now seen as a key member of the DL. I think they will give Thornton some time.

As for Bradford, I just don't think he can play OLB. As I mentioned in another thread, I saw him at practice Tuesday standing next to Clay Matthews, and the difference physically is striking. He looks even shorter than his listed height. The question is whether he can play ILB. The Packers tried moving Terrell Manning inside and it didn't work. If they feel Bradford can't play there, he's probably worthless.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Could the Packers cut the 3rd, 4th and 5th rounders? Bob McGinn is arguing Thorton and Bradford don't deserve a spot on the roster. In his latest article, McGinn compares the tenancity, speed, style, etc of Boyd and Thorton and alleges that Thorton does not show up at all. Furthermore, McGinn is also saying that the battle between Rolle and Goodson is very heated. It sounds like Bob is high on Goodson but even higher on Rolle.

As of today, I think this will be the roster... A goofy TT roster as usual
    Bob is nuts if he thinks Thorton doesn't stick, even more after Raji. Boyd didn't look ready last year either. http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/observa...own-time-looms

After Saturday's performance, it would be extremely difficult to part ways with Johnny Jolly. The bigger question might be, what does Jolly's emergence mean for rookie Josh Boyd? It's hard to see the Packers keeping both Jolly and Boyd. The Packers can try to stash Boyd on the practice squad, but once they cut him, they also risk another team signing him to their 53-man roster.
    The Packers don't dump draft picks after one year unless you are Ricky Elmore. That is especially true of lineman.

Speaking of Elmore, Bradford might give him a run for his money in Packer lore. If they need a spot, he could be gone because he really doesn't have a position to project to.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    ... At the NFL Combine after gaining 20 pounds since declaring for the draft in what I'd say was a pretty blatant attempt to enhance his profile as a DE and reduce it as an OLB:

"Some people have a better edge getting off the ball with their hand in the dirt," said Perry. "I’ve been playing it a long time now, and I have experience in that. Being put further away from what you’re used to doing makes you a little uneasy."

... I also think there's little doubt that Winston Moss' OTA terse quote "Nick Perry in my book has done absolutely zero," combined with McCarthy's only slightly more measured statements at the time, spoke volumes about their perspective on his unwillingness to participate in OTA's.
    But now we have gone from attitude to draft prep. Perry, presumably was trying to get drafted as high as possible for maximum cash and he and his agent might have thought that DE was the best bet according to what teams were telling them. After the draft, Perry told the press the Packers were not concerned about the weight. He has since lost 5 of those extra pounds.

Moss came back to Wilde and told him that his words were misconstrued about Perry. He meant Perry would be starting off with a blank slate. No history or baggage would carry over to his new coach.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

The thing that might get Bradford cut is the fact that he's not excelling on special teams. The packers were probably hoping for that if nothing else.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Blog Entries
    I'm talking about his attitude based on the combination of his words and actions. My opinion is that he was trying his damndest to preclude teams from projecting him to OLB where he didn't want to play. He obviously felt it was the best thing for him or he wouldn't have done it. Sure he said he'll play anywhere as long as he's "rushing the quarterback."

I think he would have best served the team who drafted him to wait and confer with them before throwing 20 lbs on so quickly. That's not natural and probably didn't serve his health in the long-run or his agility as an OLB.

That said, I'm not uncomfortable with people defending Perry. I'm not overly inclined to attack him. I don't think he should be cut or traded or anything of the such by a longshot.

It's not a black-and-white situation and I'm inferring things based on the entirety of what I'm seeing, reading and hearing so I fully acknowledge there are many spots along the attitude spectrum between Bart Starr and Terrell Owens that people will place him on. He's in the middle somewhere. He puts forth a reasonable public persona for sure. All the information I'm processing leads me to believe there's as least a small flame causing the smoke.

I would love it if Nick Perry would lose like 20 lbs. Not only would he be quicker, but I reckon he might stay healthy for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    I would love it if Nick Perry would lose like 20 lbs. Not only would he be quicker, but I reckon he might stay healthy for a change.
    I don't know. His game is power. You might be right, but I'm skeptical.

Edited Ish's roster a bit.

QB (3) Aaron Rodgers, Matt Flynn, Scott Tolzien
    RB (4) Eddie Lacy, James Starks, DuJuan Harris, John Kuhn
    WR (5) Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, Jarrett Boykin, Davante Adams, Jeff Janis
    TE (4) Richard Rodgers, Andrew Quarless, Brandon Bostick, Ryan Taylor
    OL (9) David Bakhtiari, Josh Sitton, J.C. Tretter, T.J. Lang, Bryan Bulaga, Derek Sherrod, Corey Linsley, Aaron Adams
    DL (5) Mike Daniels, Datone Jones, Josh Boyd, Khyri Thornton, Mike Pennel, Letroy Guion
    OLB (6) Clay Matthews, Julius Peppers, Mike Neal, Nick Perry, Jayrone Elliott, Andy Mulumba
    ILB (4) Brad Jones, A.J. Hawk, Jamari Lattimore, Sam Barrington
    CB (6) Sam Shields, Tramon Williams, Casey Hayward, Davon House, Jarrett Bush, Jumal Rolle
    S (4) Morgan Burnett, Micah Hyde, Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix, Sean Richardson
    ST (3) Mason Crosby, Tim Masthay, Brett Goode

Guion is obviously going to be PUPed, which means a DL(Robinson or Gray), a TE(Perillo), or a LB(Hubbard or Bradford) could get his roster spot for the first six weeks. It'd be awfully nice if they could put him on the active roster before the end of the preseason so we didn't have to wait six-seven weeks for him.

After watching this last game closely, I don't think they'll PUP Guion, if he's healthy by the start of the season. Made a mistake having Raji inadvertently on the last roster. I also don't think Janis is ready to contribute. His route running needs a lot of work. Outside of his one catch and TD last week, he's done nothing. I actually think Dorsey is more ready to contribute. It might be more likely to get Dorsey on the practice squad though. I also thought Palmer flashed a little more than Mulumba. I think Palmer might be a better special teams player, so I'm projecting him with a spot. The Packers usually only activate 7 OL, so their 8th OL might come from the PS until Tretter gets back. Probably Adams.

OL (8) David Bakhtiari, Josh Sitton, J.C. Tretter, T.J. Lang, Bryan Bulaga, Derek Sherrod, Corey Linsley, Lane Taylor
    DL (6) Mike Daniels, Datone Jones, Josh Boyd, Letroy Guion, Mike Pennel, Khyri Thornton
    OLB (6) Clay Matthews, Julius Peppers, Mike Neal, Nick Perry, Jayrone Elliott, Nate Palmer
    CB (6) Sam Shields, Tramon Williams, Casey Hayward, Davon House, Jarrett Bush, Jumal Rolle

IR: Jared Abbrederis, Don Barclay, Colt Lyerla, B.J. Raji
    PS: RB Rajion Neal, WR Kevin Dorsey, WR Myles White, TE Justin Perillo, OT Aaron Adams, OC Garth Gerhart, LB Andy Mulumba, LB Carl Bradford, LB Joe Thomas, S Chris Banjo
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    I think he would have best served the team who drafted him to wait and confer with them before throwing 20 lbs on so quickly. That's not natural and probably didn't serve his health in the long-run or his agility as an OLB..
    You're inferences are illogical. But the Packers have apparently not asked him to lose the weight. We knew all about Finley's preferred weight from both sides and he was a more high profile player looking for a contract. If Perry and the team were debating his weight, I think it likely would have made the news.

Serious question: did he actually gain 20 pounds after his last college year? There isn't much time to do that before a combine.

Quote Originally Posted by OS PA View Post
    Edited Ish's roster a bit.

OL (9) David Bakhtiari, Josh Sitton, J.C. Tretter, T.J. Lang, Bryan Bulaga, Derek Sherrod, Corey Linsley, Aaron Adams
    DL (5) Mike Daniels, Datone Jones, Josh Boyd, Khyri Thornton, Mike Pennel, Letroy Guion
    OLB (6) Clay Matthews, Julius Peppers, Mike Neal, Nick Perry, Jayrone Elliott, Andy Mulumba

Guion is obviously going to be PUPed, which means a DL(Robinson or Gray), a TE(Perillo), or a LB(Hubbard or Bradford) could get his roster spot for the first six weeks. It'd be awfully nice if they could put him on the active roster before the end of the preseason so we didn't have to wait six-seven weeks for him.
    Guion practiced today so he can't be PUPed. His presence now after Raji's injury might end up being as big a FA pick up as Peppers.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    You're inferences are illogical. But the Packers have apparently not asked him to lose the weight. We knew all about Finley's preferred weight from both sides and he was a more high profile player looking for a contract. If Perry and the team were debating his weight, I think it likely would have made the news.

Serious question: did he actually gain 20 pounds after his last college year? There isn't much time to do that before a combine.
    Sorry Vince. That should have said "Your inferences are logical". And the possessive form or you and not trying to claim you ARE an inference.

Goodson seems to have fallen off everyone's radar. Last few posters don't even have him making the PS while Rolle gets on the 53. I don't know about that, generally speaking the Packers find a way to get their draft picks onto the team. Bradford might be an exception though.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Practice squad would seem like the perfect spot for Goodson, who seems to be more than willing and not lacking in talent, but very inexperienced. But then when you consider that he is already 25 years old, you start to wonder if a year on PS and another year or two on PS and/or as a backup is really worth it over a younger guy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post

He's listed at 250 on his USC page, which I would think they'd tend to fluff higher for a defensive end... He's listed on his combine profile at 271, which I think would be very accurate. The Packers now list him at 265 as you said earlier PB.

In fairness, he could have gained some of the weight during his last year at USC. I do recall that he garnered attention when he weighed in surprisingly heavy at the combine though so he definitely made a concerted effort to put on weight pre-combine.

Can't answer the question as to the Packers preferred playing weight for him - though there's little question that health and agility in space have been issues 1 and 2 for him.

He's been playing opposite/with Neal with the 2's for the most part I believe backing up Matthews while Neal's been backing up Peppers at elephant. Elephant is probably Perry's best spot too, though I'd say he's better all-around at either spot at this point than the rest of the guys (after the top 4) on the outside. Assuming Elliott makes the squad there's another elephant-oriented guy who looks like liability in coverage/space against receiving TE's, slotmen and backs.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Practice squad would seem like the perfect spot for Goodson, who seems to be more than willing and not lacking in talent, but very inexperienced. But then when you consider that he is already 25 years old, you start to wonder if a year on PS and another year or two on PS and/or as a backup is really worth it over a younger guy.
    I brought that up earlier - he's a little long in the tooth to be considered for developmental spot. I imagine they'd want him to come along pretty quickly.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Goodson seems to have fallen off everyone's radar. Last few posters don't even have him making the PS while Rolle gets on the 53. I don't know about that, generally speaking the Packers find a way to get their draft picks onto the team. Bradford might be an exception though.
    I'd agree if he were a 4th or 5th round pick, but it seems to me they are much more willing to cut late round picks and put them on the PS.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Great athlete, but greener than goose shit.

He got 180ed twice last game.

PS at best.

Maybe a year of NFL coaching might make him a candidate for 15's roster.

I wouldn't worry about Goodson's age. Brent Grimes is a top-10 corner in his thirties. PS the guy and hope for the best.

Just tape Goodson and Rolle together in one uniform and let them play the nose.