Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: The So Early It's Both Awesome & Stupid Thread- Pick the 53

What Patler said. Plus, Sam Shields and Tramon Williams went undrafted and Mark Tauscher and Donald Driver went in the 7th round. Personnel people are often wrong. I think Elliott has more to work with than the guys he's battling, and I saw that from the first preseason game on. Palmer and Mulumba are a year ahead of Elliott in their development. They needed to take the leap in year two, but they didn't--although one of those guys may make the team based on special teams.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    Drop: Matt Flynn, Andrew Quarless, Carl Bradford, Chris Banjo
    Add: Myles White, Andy Mulumba, Carlos Gray, Jake Stoneburner

Mulumba, Gray and Stoneburner might be replaced by guys from other teams this weekend
    I'd take Kevin Dorsey over Myles White. I think he has more potential. I think Gray and Robinson are similar, and I think you can sneak at least one of those guys onto the practice squad. I was close to adding Stoneburner over Taylor or the third QB. I wouldn't be surprised to see him make it. Mulumba could get the nod over Bradford. It all comes down to how the special teams shakes out. I just don't know enough about how guys are doing on special teams. I think it would be hard to cut a 4th round pick, so if Bradford showed enough potential at ILB, I think he makes the team. Of course, I didn't see the game, so I have no idea how he looked.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    At best, Elliot would start the season as the 5th OLB. He won't even be active on game days. He will be kept for developmental purposes, because it is unlikely he would get through to the PS simply because of the highlights he has had. His weaknesses now are inconsequential, because he won't play until he improves on them, or the position is devastated with injuries. It's all about potential for the future with him.
    I agree, but roster spots are valuable - it comes down to whether they think his upside is worth burning a roster spot for.
    wist

Bubble Guys: QB Matt Flynn, TE Jake Stoneburner, TE Ryan Taylor, WR Kevin Dorsey, OLB Jayrone Elliott, OLB Andy Mulumba, ILB Carl Bradford, CB Jumal Rolle, S Chris Banjo

The Packers have to cut three of these guys. It comes down to who can help this year vs. who offers potential for the future. If it were me, I'd keep Rolle and Elliott because I like their potential and they likely won't get to the practice squad. Of the rest, it seems like Taylor and Banjo are corps special teams players.

That leaves Flynn, Stoneburner, Dorsey, Mulumba, Bradford for two spots. Flynn gives you peace of mind at QB, and I'm not sure the rest offer enough potential to cut Flynn. You can probably find players as good and with as much potential on somebody else's practice squad. That leaves one spot left. I could see them keeping Stoneburner with Bostick hurt. I think they'll cut Dorsey and Myles White with one of them probably getting to the practice squad. Does Mulumba offer enough potential and/or enough on special teams to keep? If it were me, I'd lean no. I didn't get to see Bradford play at ILB last night. If he didn't offer up much, then I'd say they keep Stoneburner. At least, until Bostick gets back.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    I'd take Kevin Dorsey over Myles White. I think he has more potential. I think Gray and Robinson are similar, and I think you can sneak at least one of those guys onto the practice squad. I was close to adding Stoneburner over Taylor or the third QB. I wouldn't be surprised to see him make it. Mulumba could get the nod over Bradford. It all comes down to how the special teams shakes out. I just don't know enough about how guys are doing on special teams. I think it would be hard to cut a 4th round pick, so if Bradford showed enough potential at ILB, I think he makes the team. Of course, I didn't see the game, so I have no idea how he looked.
    It may be inconsequential by then but see what you think after watching the game. Dorsey showed a seeming inability to go up and get at least one ball that appeared pretty catchable. There was at least one other opportunity as well that he failed to capitalize on. Add in his inconsistencies and you may reconsider. Maybe not though. When plays are there you gotta make em and despite his physical tools, I just don't see much playmaking ability in Dorsey. I certainly think you know what you see though and may still think otherwise...

I think they need to find room for Elliot somewhere even if its going to cost them talent in the D backfield or the depth of mediocre's on the D line.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    It may be inconsequential by then but see what you think after watching the game. Dorsey showed a seeming inability to go up and get at least one ball that appeared pretty catchable. Add in his inconsistencies and you may reconsider. Maybe not though. When plays are there you gotta make em and despite his physical tools, I just don't see much playmaking ability in Dorsey. I certainly think you know what you see though and may still think otherwise...
    No doubt he has more potential, but White seems much more likely to contribute this year.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    I agree, but roster spots are valuable - it comes down to whether they think his upside is worth burning a roster spot for.
    Sure, but GB has done it frequently. Giacomini, McDonald, Newhouse all made the rosters their first years without any intention that they play, and I don't think they were ever active their first years. The last couple roster spots become meaningful only when injuries mount and the inactive list is filled with those physically unable to play. Of course, for the Packers that could be in week #1.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Sure, but GB has done it frequently. Giacomini, McDonald, Newhouse all made the rosters their first years without any intention that they play, and I don't think they were ever active their first years. The last couple roster spots become meaningful only when injuries mount and the inactive list is filled with those physically unable to play. Of course, for the Packers that could be in week #1.
    This is it. IF the injuries don't mount, you'll have healthy scratches. Elliot is that guy.

Last night's injuries may have made some decisions easier.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    It may be inconsequential by then but see what you think after watching the game. Dorsey showed a seeming inability to go up and get at least one ball that appeared pretty catchable. There was at least one other opportunity as well that he failed to capitalize on. Add in his inconsistencies and you may reconsider. Maybe not though. When plays are there you gotta make em and despite his physical tools, I just don't see much playmaking ability in Dorsey. I certainly think you know what you see though and may still think otherwise...
    I think both guys have missed on several opportunities--which is why I have neither making the team. In the first three games White had a couple of drops and missed out on other opportunities to go get the ball. I think they'll try to get both guys on the practice squad. Dorsey is pretty smooth running his routes, and I think he may have the ability down the line to play outside and in the slot. Dorsey is raw. He didn't get a lot of opportunities to catch the ball in college, but there is something about him that makes me think he has a future in the NFL. He needs to improve his ball skills. White needs to improve his ability to beat press and his ball skills.

I'm with Harvey. Neither Dorsey nor White impresses me enough to warrant a spot on the 53. You've got to have at least one of the special-teams demons on the team, so to me that means both Dorsey and White go, and at least one of Taylor or Banjo stays.

Keep one backup QB. Fuggit.

I'm not a Bradford fan, myself. I don't mind keeping raw guys around to develop, but to me this guy hasn't even shown flashes.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Disclaimer, haven't watched last night's game.

Dorsey and White to me don't look like anything special. They can be replaced again next year by a late round pick or UDFA pickup. Nothing in their game jumps out as anything more than ordinary. If Banjo is better on ST, I'd keep him over them. Every team has 1 or 2 WRs who are just barely good enough to stick in the right situation and would be available in dire emergencies.

Quote Originally Posted by jdrats View Post
    Elliot's sack last night was against KCs starting right tackle, as I believe was the holding penalty on the previous play, and a blatant hold on the first KC drive that wasn't called.

Elliot has earned the spot and no way would he clear waivers.

(Although he is raw--there were several plays where he took himself out, overran the run, etc. But even just as a situational pass rushers he has great potential)
    Yes, no matter how green guys with the propensity to rush the passer are coveted so I doubt he'll be cut.

Not that I'm the cheerleader for Elliot or anything, but I just think there is no way he doesn't make the roster. How deep is GB at OLB anyway? Certainly not as deep as it sometimes appears. Clay has missed time each of the last couple years, and Perry too. Suddenly Elliot could find himself at #3 on the chart. I'd rather not have the injuries of course, but if it came to it, I wouldn't mind seeing a fresh Elliot lining up on third-and-long late in the game against the Bears and let him rip.

And I heard lots of rumbles this off season about Perry. He may have a chance at the number 4 spot by seasons end anyway. Again, at least as a pass rusher.

I think Stoneburner played his way onto the roster last night too. I still can't see it, but the folks picking Quarless as the surprise cut might be right. I just don't know how you cut your only tight end with significant game experience.

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    You sure about Elliot??

He may have 5 sacks this preseason, but what I saw last night was what I saw when I looked him up on youtube - a guy who doesn't use his hands at all. He may have the speed and athletic ability to get the corner against scrubs, but against starting calibur NFL linemen - he's going nowhere.

He might as well be a double arm amputee for as much as he uses his hands... If a guy can't keep seperation from a blocker by locking out, he can't set the edge; and if he can't hand fight his pass rush is dead; it's why pass rushers with short arms are at a distinct disadvantage against long-armed OT's.

They may very well keep him on the roster - b/c he does have ability, and maybe they figure they can coach him up, but until he figures out how to use his hands, he has no chance of succeeding in the NFL.

But how could he sack anyone that way?

KYPack

Miles White got in games last year and looked pretty good - quick, athletic. He was just too skinny. Well, he obviously went through a steroid regimen in the off-season, is much thicker. I think he deserves a shot based on last year.

Aaron Adams gone for the season. Tore both ACL and MCL.

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-pa...ay-add-ol-help

Rodgers, Flynn, Tolzien
    Lacy, Starks, Harris, Kuhn
    Nelson, Cobb, Boykin, Adams, Janis
    Rodgers, Bostick, Quarless, Taylor
    Bakhtiari, Lang, Tretter, Sitton, Bulaga, Linsley, Sherrod, Taylor
    Daniels, Jones, Boyd, Pennel, Guion
    Peppers, Matthews, Neal, Perry, Elliott, Mulumba
    Hawk, Jones, Lattimore, Barrington, Bradford
    Williams, Shields, Hayward, House, Bush
    Burnett, Clinton-Dix, Hyde, Richardson, Banjo
    Crosby, Masthay, Goode

Practice Squad would include: Robinson, Rolle, Hubbard, Palmer, Stoneburner, Perkins, Goodson, Gerhart, Vujnovich, Dorsey

I'm guessing Thornton is on PUP or IR. If he's not it makes it really tough. I can't see them giving up on Bradford but I don't know where the spot comes from for Thornton. If I had to pick someone it would be Banjo since they are deep at safety and with the rule change Banjo could make it to the practice squad. I like him but there probably isn't a huge market for him. He'd likely be signed from the PS at some point during the year.
    Last edited by Packman_26; 08-29-2014 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Packman_26 View Post
    Rodgers, Flynn, Tolzien
    Lacy, Starks, Harris, Kuhn
    Nelson, Cobb, Boykin, Adams, Janis
    Rodgers, Bostick, Quarless, Taylor
    Bakhtiari, Lang, Tretter, Sitton, Bulaga, Linsley, Sherrod, Taylor
    Daniels, Jones, Boyd, Pennel, Guion
    Peppers, Matthews, Neal, Perry, Elliott, Mulumba
    Hawk, Jones, Lattimore, Barrington, Bradford
    Williams, Shields, Hayward, House, Bush
    Burnett, Clinton-Dix, Hyde, Richardson, Banjo
    Crosby, Masthay, Goode

Practice Squad would include: Robinson, Rolle, Hubbard, Palmer, Stoneburner, Perkins, Goodson, Gerhart, Vujnovich, Dorsey

I'm guessing Thornton is on PUP or IR. If he's not it makes it really tough. I can't see them giving up on Bradford but I don't know where the spot comes from for Thornton. If I had to pick someone it would be Banjo since they are deep at safety and with the rule change Banjo could make it to the practice squad. I like him but there probably isn't a huge market for him. He'd likely be signed from the PS at some point during the year.
    I believe that's 52 of 53 boys! Damn Banjo/Goodson got me. (But I will accept a penalty for screwing up the PUP rules. Embarrassing.)

I don't really care about Mulumba vs. Banjo. It's whomever the brass thinks is better on teams, but I think Goodson over Rolle is a mistake. Other than that, the cuts aren't all that earth shattering.