Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: The So Early It's Both Awesome & Stupid Thread- Pick the 53

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    Being assigned to the PS won't protect him from being snapped up by any other NFL team.
    Unless, of course, if we do what we did last year to that other WR and offer Janis a regular rookie salary instead of the going rate for PS players.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Unless, of course, if we do what we did last year to that other WR and offer Janis a regular rookie salary instead of the going rate for PS players.
    Did that for the last few weeks of the season, not the whole year. Does money paid to ps players count vs the cap? I wonder if the league would have something to say if teams started doing this, seems like it would be akin to hoarding players.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Did that for the last few weeks of the season, not the whole year. Does money paid to ps players count vs the cap? I wonder if the league would have something to say if teams started doing this, seems like it would be akin to hoarding players.
    PS salaries do count against cap. http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/8/3...es-eligibility
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Let's skip the misdiagnose the torn ACL step.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

QB Aaron Rodgers, Matt Flynn
    RB Eddie Lacy, James Starks, DuJuan Harris, Johnathan Franklin
    FB John Kuhn
    WR Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, Jarrett Boykin, Davante Adams, Jared Abbrederis
    TE Andrew Quarless, Brandon Bostick, Richard Rodgers, Colt Lyerla
    OL David Bakhtiari, Josh Sitton, J.C. Tretter, T.J. Lang, Bryan Bulaga, Don Barclay, Derek Sherrod, Corey Linsley
    DL Mike Daniels, B.J. Raji, Datone Jones, Mike Neal, Khyri Thornton, Josh Boyd, Jerel Worthy
    LB Clay Matthews, Julius Peppers, Nick Perry, Carl Bradford, Adrian Hubbard, A.J. Hawk, Brad Jones, Jamari Lattimore, Sam Barrington
    CB Sam Shields, Tramon Williams, Casey Hayward, Davon House, Jarrett Bush, Demetri Goodson
    S Morgan Burnett, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Micah Hyde, Sean Richardson
    ST Mason Crosby, Tim Masthay, Brett Goode

Scott Tolzien could beat out Flynn for the backup QB spot or he could show enough to make the roster as the third string QB. With a completely healthy roster I see him being the last cut. However, it's probably more likely that a roster spot opens up for him with an injury to a RB, WR, DL, or LB.

My gut tells me that either Harris or Franklin makes the roster, but not both. I lean Harris because he's shown me more, but I wouldn't be surprised if Rajion Neal or LaDarius Perkins knocks the loser of the RB3 battle off the roster.

Eight on the OL is light, but they've carried eight before and I don't see anybody worthy of the 9th OL spot. Sherrod can back up at both OT spots. Barclay can backup at OG and OT. Tretter or Linsley could also kick out to OG with an injury there.

I see one of my projected DL getting cut. Perhaps for Jeff Janis. I suspect it will be Jerel Worthy, if he doesn't show improvement. If they want another big body, I could see Letroy Guion earning a spot also.

My gut tells me that Jake Doughty will be surprise in camp and earn a roster spot, but I don't have a feel for whose roster spot that will be. It wouldn't be a shock to me if Lattimore or Barrington beats out Jones. If that were to happen, I could see the Packers parting ways with Jones and opening a spot for a guy like Doughty.

The last OLB spot is interesting. With a second year jump either Andy Mulumba or Nate Palmer could beat out Adrian Hubbard.

I have Richardson beating out Banjo for the last safety spot. I think he gives the Packers something different at that spot.

The last roster spot came down to Jeff Janis vs. Demetri Goodson. I project Goodson, primarily because he was drafted ahead of Janis.

I like this roster. If healthy, this is a championship contender.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    FB John Kuhn
    OL David Bakhtiari, Josh Sitton, J.C. Tretter, T.J. Lang, Bryan Bulaga, Don Barclay, Derek Sherrod, Corey Linsley
    DL Mike Daniels, B.J. Raji, Datone Jones, Mike Neal, Khyri Thornton, Josh Boyd, Jerel Worthy
    LB Clay Matthews, Julius Peppers, Nick Perry, Carl Bradford, Adrian Hubbard, A.J. Hawk, Brad Jones, Jamari Lattimore, Sam Barrington
    CB Sam Shields, Tramon Williams, Casey Hayward, Davon House, Jarrett Bush, Demetri Goodson

Scott Tolzien could beat out Flynn for the backup QB spot or he could show enough to make the roster as the third string QB. With a completely healthy roster I see him being the last cut. However, it's probably more likely that a roster spot opens up for him with an injury to a RB, WR, DL, or LB.

My gut tells me that either Harris or Franklin makes the roster, but not both. I lean Harris because he's shown me more, but I wouldn't be surprised if Rajion Neal or LaDarius Perkins knocks the loser of the RB3 battle off the roster.

Eight on the OL is light, but they've carried eight before and I don't see anybody worthy of the 9th OL spot. Sherrod can back up at both OT spots. Barclay can backup at OG and OT. Tretter or Linsley could also kick out to OG with an injury there.

I see one of my projected DL getting cut. Perhaps for Jeff Janis. I suspect it will be Jerel Worthy, if he doesn't show improvement. If they want another big body, I could see Letroy Guion earning a spot also.

My gut tells me that Jake Doughty will be surprise in camp and earn a roster spot, but I don't have a feel for whose roster spot that will be. It wouldn't be a shock to me if Lattimore or Barrington beats out Jones. If that were to happen, I could see the Packers parting ways with Jones and opening a spot for a guy like Doughty.

The last OLB spot is interesting. With a second year jump either Andy Mulumba or Nate Palmer could beat out Adrian Hubbard.

I have Richardson beating out Banjo for the last safety spot. I think he gives the Packers something different at that spot.

The last roster spot came down to Jeff Janis vs. Demetri Goodson. I project Goodson, primarily because he was drafted ahead of Janis.

Yes that looks really good to me too - without the benefit of time to see who inevitably misses time in camp and gets PUP'd or IR'd...
    I too think they'll go with 8 linemen and keep a couple on the PS more for emergency than development. The OL looks good to me but at this point it looks like it only goes 8 deep in terms of who you'd be remotely comfortable playing significant minutes and that's assuming (a good assumption I think) that Linsley proves out.

I know he's already 25 I believe but I think Goodson is a PS candidate because they'll have House and Bush for gunner ST duties and will want a bigger body ST ace like Taylor or the LB prospect you mentioned...

I've been curious to see the big receiver they stole from the Seahawks/Niners who was a 4th round pick last year ever since they got him. I think he might have a chance to be one of those unique guys who McCarthy could use creatively in a pseudo H-back/slot movement type role to get him mismatched with LBers. He's pretty thick for a wideout and has decent wheels if I'm not mistaken.

Now I'm curious to see Janis too because of his raw potential but my guess is he's a PS guy or someone who comes down with a mysterious injury just before cut-down day to buy some time for him to be retained for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Let's skip the misdiagnose the torn ACL step.
    The Browns put Charles Johnson on the Non-Football Injury list after discovering his ACL tear. He didn't make any money last year because of that. Sucks to be a Brown.

Blog Entries
    If Rodgers and Lyerla show promise in camp I could see Taylor replacing Bostick on the 53 because he fills a ST role that none of the other TE's likely do, though Lyerla was a bad-ass LBer in high school. But if he's on the 53 I gotta believe he's going to be getting minutes on offense. I could be off base because we haven't really seen enough of him but I don't think Bostick is much of an inline blocker or kamikaze-type on ST that McCarthy looks for in his reserve TE's. There's not enough room for 3 TE's who are all good receivers but don't give you value on ST and as a blocker. Most rooks need to develop in those areas because they weren't asked to do it much before - particularly not against NFL linemen and linebackers who make a living tossing experienced TE's around who are supposed to be good at it. If that's accurate about Bostick it could be his downfall this year due to roster needs and talent at other positions.
    Last edited by vince; 05-30-2014 at 01:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    FB John Kuhn

After looking at this Aaron Rodgers interview your going to be psyched.

Aaron is upbeat/optimistic about "the maze" that's the roster right now. With the new fellas he mentions learning the play book as quickly as possible. He likes the additions at WR and talks about the improvements he expects in season 1-2 and 2-3 players in terms of the jump in their NFL abilities/confidence. He's looking forward to a much improved defense.

He likes the additions on "D" of LB/DE Julius Peppers He feels at home now in Green Bay.)and DT Letroy Guion (6'- 4" 315 lbs) and 7 Yrs. NFL experience. The media asks a few questions about the Center position. His response and center should be noted.

Aaron also talks about his off season conditioning. It looks like YOGA is the thing and conditioning Packers now (see WR Randall Cobb who makes some interesting comments in his interview). He believes with the three new additions and more growth from the returnee's at WR the Packers WR Corps will have a whole different look this season.

Also look for the Hasean "Ha Ha"Clinton-Dix interview. I like his down to earth style.

Other interviews...Rookie TE Colt Lyerla (the fans are on his side and he feels he's in the best spot ...excited about his opportunity in Green Bay). He said that he wasn't singled out in any way in terms of his past and what is expected of him as a Packer prospect. You'll enjoy his calm nature/attitude.

Again this season we have lots to choose from at the TE spot. I'll be surprized if TT signs JerMichael Finley. He'll want too much $money$ and TT would be wise to convince JF to accept less and return to the Packers to see where he really is. If TT signs him and we see more potential with other TE"s on our roster the trade JerMichael Finley option may open up.

In addition you may enjoy the Rookie CB Demetri Goodson Interview. This is a confident young man.

it's going to be a real battle before the 2014 Green Bay Packers roster is down to 53. That roster will be very talented and dep and we're in for a terrific season Packerrats.

GO PACK GO !
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    Other interviews...Rookie TE Colt Lyerla (the fans are on his side and he feels he's in the best spot ...excited about his opportunity in Green Bay). He said that he wasn't singled out in any way in terms of his past and what is expected of him as a Packer prospect. You'll enjoy his calm nature/attitude.
    quaaludes will have that effect.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    quaaludes will have that effect.
    We can count on you to keep it positive.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    The Browns put Charles Johnson on the Non-Football Injury list after discovering his ACL tear. He didn't make any money last year because of that. Sucks to be a Brown.
    Did they ever explain what happened? Did he do it between practices, or right after he signed to their roster celebrating?

Or was the original injury just in pre-camp training.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Good list Harv, some thought went into it.

I know what you're saying about 8 OL, but I can't see them going with the list you put up - primarily because of those 8, Bulaga and Sherrod are two of them! I can't see TT putting that much faith in both of them being ready, and staying available through the season. I think another body gets added to that list from somewhere.

Bold call on Worthy. Give up on a 2nd round pick after 2 seasons? That would be a loss.

What do you like so much about Hubbard, the UDFA you have making the team at LB?

The last CB spot will be an interesting battle. Does Bush hold on for another year? Do they keep House, who has shown flashes of both good play and suckiness? Keeping an eye on Goodson, who's older but obviously very athletic as a two sport athelete - only person to ever start an NCAA tournament and BCS bowl game!
    --

Did they ever explain what happened? Did he do it between practices, or right after he signed to their roster celebrating?

I was under the impression he punched a coach, who retaliated by sweeping his leg.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    I was under the impression he punched a coach, who retaliated by sweeping his leg.
    and followed up with a solid right hand thrust punch to the throat...that caused his eyes to bulge and ears to pop accompanied by some dramatic coughing....before the stretcher crew arrived.

After seeing the guys who couldn't muster up the strength to practice in the OTA's I am thinking we may have some real shockers on the final 53. Quarless seems to have "sat" his way out of a job unless he dominates TC. Worthy might have a long road to travel as well. I can't see them giving up on Perry yet, he has flashed and he was a 1st. Right now, Worthy is looking to be my WTF!! cut.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

PS...everyone who had Franklin on the 53 is officially wrong.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    PS...everyone who had Franklin on the 53 is officially wrong.
    Well here is my updated version...

QB Rodgers, Flynn
    RB Lacy, Starks, Harris,
    FB Kuhn
    WR Cobb, Nelson, Adams, Boykin, Abbrederis, Jeff Janis
    TE Quarless, Bostick, Rodgers, Colt
    T Bakhtiari, Bulaga, Barclay, Sherrod
    G/C Sitton, Lang, Tretter, Linsley, Taylor
    DE Jones, Daniels, Thornton, Worthy
    NT Raji, Boyd
    DE/OLB Peppers, Neal
    OLB Matthews, Perry, Bradford, Hubbard
    ILB Hawk, Jones, Lattimore, Barrington
    CB Williams, Shields, Hayward, House, Bush
    CB/S Hyde
    S Burnett, Clinton-Dix, Richardson
    ST Crosby, Masthay, Goode

He tore his ACL while with the Packers. Neither the Packers at the time of the knee injury nor Browns during their signing physical knew this until he had another evaluation during the preseason.

Whoops