Thread: The So Early It's Both Awesome & Stupid Thread- Pick the 53

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    QB (2) Rodgers, Flynn
    RB (4) Lacy, Harris, Starks, Kuhn
    WR (6) Nelson, Cobb, Boykin, Adams, Dorsey, White
    TE (3) Quarless, Bostick, Rodgers
    OL (9) Bakhtiari, Sitton, Tretter, Lang, Bulaga, Sherrod, Linsley, Fullington, Taylor
    DL (5) Daniels, Raji, Jones, Boyd, Thornton
    LB (11) Matthews, Peppers, Hawk, Jones, Neal, Perry, Bradford, Lattimore, Mulumba, Barrington, Hubbard
    CB (6) Shields, Williams, Hayward, House, Bush, Goodson
    S (4) Burnett, Clinton-Dix, Hyde, Richardson
    ST (3) Crosby, Masthay, Goode

IR: WR Abbrederis, OL Barclay
    PUP: DL Worthy, DL Guion
    Finally someone who thinks White will stick around :-0

I doubt they'd go with just 3 TEs though.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Finally someone who thinks White will stick around :-0

I doubt they'd go with just 3 TEs though.
    White's strength is in the slot where the WR group is thinnest, I think that gives him an inside edge. Taylor has contributed so little outside of special teams that he's barely a TE. With all the LB's I kept I decided he was disposable.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

White's strength is in the slot where the WR group is thinnest, I think that gives him an inside edge. Taylor has contributed so little outside of special teams that he's barely a TE. With all the LB's I kept I decided he was disposable.
    I agree on White, and tend to agree on Taylor. I still think if Lyerla gets back in two weeks (like some reports say), that may be enough for him to stick. More upside and Lyerla has experience playing STs. I think it's a tossup on Taylor vs. Stoneburner, but I think Taylor has been on most of the #1 STs units still (but not all). Until I start hearing about Stoneburner playing more on the #1 STs units, I think Taylor has the edge.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

I was thinking that as well, but maybe not always? For ST purposes, 4-3 LBs and TEs are similar, but when you get some of the larger OLBs (converted DEs like Neale) they aren't going to run as well as the H-back types.
    --

Not to sound like a dick but its funny to me how many people are leaving Janis off the 53. I would be VERY shocked if he doesn't make the team IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    Not to sound like a dick but its funny to me how many people are leaving Janis off the 53. I would be VERY shocked if he doesn't make the team IMO.
    I think it's a coin flip. Since Thompson has been here, about half of the 7th round picks have made the team. Maybe Janis is more talented than some 7th round picks, but he's trying to make it at a position where there is pretty good depth. I think you have Harper, Janis, Dorsey and White fighting for the last 2 WR spots.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

You can't make the team from the hot tub. Or the communicable disease isolation tent.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    You can't make the team from the hot tub. Or the communicable disease isolation tent.
    I heard he had a nice practice yesterday.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    What makes you think Jeff Janis has any better of a shot at making the 53 than Charles Johnson did last season? Is there reason to think he's head and shoulders better than the rest of the field competing for that 5th WR position?
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

What makes you think Jeff Janis has any better of a shot at making the 53 than Charles Johnson did last season? Is there reason to think he's head and shoulders better than the rest of the field competing for that 5th WR position?
    Because I said so!

You know I don't hype up a player without good reason.

Of all the receivers he is most likely the most physically gifted and seems to be a guy who character finds right in with the team. Also don't think Ted is wasting a pick on him if he felt comfortable with those other guys. Of course it is just my opinion but my record on calling talent when I see it speaks for itself.

I thought Johnson had a good shot at making the team, until he missed all but one day of OTAs and minicamps and 3 weeks of training camp. With only two weeks of practice, he had virtually no chance of making the 53 man roster to start the season.

Janis was a more dominating performer his last two seasons at Saginaw Valley (189/3207/31) than Johnson was at Grand Valley (128/2229/31), for whatever that means.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I thought Johnson had a good shot at making the team, until he missed all but one day of OTAs and minicamps and 3 weeks of training camp. With only two weeks of practice, he had virtually no chance of making the 53 man roster to start the season.

Janis was a more dominating performer his last two seasons at Saginaw Valley (189/3207/31) than Johnson was at Grand Valley (128/2229/31), for whatever that means.
    Which one showed up for the big rivalry game against the Colorado School of Mines?
    --

I think Lyerla is done. Best chance he has is either a PS spot or getting signed by another team. From reports I read he just started to shake off the rust, but came to camp a little heavy at 260 and didn't distinguish himself from the other UDFA TE (Perillo). Unless he comes back and lights the world on fire, Colt is not going to be on the roster.

As for Janis, he's just started practicing so it's hard to say. Great physical skills & production at a lower division, but the jury's out on whether he can adjust. If he can play ST he'll get a spot. I think he has a lot of ground to make up to catch White and Dorsey. He's another candidate for the PS IMO. He's a R7 pick, it's not like they are cutting a higher pick like Brohm.

The TE competition is gonna be fun to watch, same with backup QB, #3 RB, #3-6 WRs, and the backup OLBs.

Blog Entries
    QB Rodgers Flynn
    RB Lacy Starks Harris Kuhn
    WR Nelson Cobb Boykin Adams Janis Harper
    TE Rodgers Bostick Quarless Taylor
    OT Bulaga Bakh Sherrod
    C Tretter Linsley
    OG Sitton Lang Taylor
    NT Raji Boyd
    DE Daniels Jones Thornton
    EL Peppers Neal Perry Bradford
    OLB Matthews Mulumba Thomas
    ILB Hawk Jones Lattimore Barrington
    CB Williams Shields Hayward House Bush
    S Burnett Hyde Dix Richardson Banjo
    ST Goode Crosby Masthay

PS Neal Perillo Rettig Fullington Elliott Pennel Goodson Hubbard
    IR Lyerla Abbrederis

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    QB Rodgers Flynn
    RB Lacy Starks Harris Kuhn
    WR Nelson Cobb Boykin Adams Janis Harper
    TE Rodgers Bostick Quarless Taylor
    OT Bulaga Bakh Sherrod
    C Tretter Linsley
    OG Sitton Lang Taylor
    NT Raji Boyd
    DE Daniels Jones Thornton
    EL Peppers Neal Perry Bradford
    OLB Matthews Mulumba Thomas
    ILB Hawk Jones Lattimore Barrington
    CB Williams Shields Hayward House Bush
    S Burnett Hyde Dix Richardson Banjo
    ST Goode Crosby Masthay

PS Neal Perillo Rettig Fullington Elliott Pennel Goodson Hubbard
    IR Lyerla Abbrederis
    Pretty good cut.

I think Janis goes to PS and the WRs that make it are Myles White and Kevin Dorsey. If people think Nate Palmer (a R6 pick) is good as gone, there shouldn't be any problem with GB cutting Janis and signing him to the PS. Also, I like Harper but it sounds like he's inconsistent and a PS possibility. Dorsey is on top ST units and according to camp reports White is turning heads playing out of the slot.

I'm not sure they will keep 5 S, even if Hyde can play either S or CB. I wonder if they'll carry another OL instead.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Pretty good cut.

I think Janis goes to PS and the WRs that make it are Myles White and Kevin Dorsey. If people think Nate Palmer (a R6 pick) is good as gone, there shouldn't be any problem with GB cutting Janis and signing him to the PS. Also, I like Harper but it sounds like he's inconsistent and a PS possibility. Dorsey is on top ST units and according to camp reports White is turning heads playing out of the slot.

I'm not sure they will keep 5 S, even if Hyde can play either S or CB. I wonder if they'll carry another OL instead.
    Not a lot to go on with Janis but his size, speed combo and early flashes in OTA's and camp already lead me to believe it'd be risky to try to get him on the practice squad.

Dorsey is getting special teams opportunities but I'm discounting that due to McCarthy's philosophy that everyone gets their opportunities, especially 2nd year guys from whom they're looking to see that jump.... It's early in camp and a ton more guys will be rotating through and getting looks on special teams before any spots are earned or decisions made...

I don't like White mainly because he's practically worthless on special teams and unless Cobb is down he's useless. The only outside hope for him would be as a punt returner and he's been dropping them with regularity when he's had the opportunities.

I think Harper will end up showing the most complete game to play all receiver positions if injuries dictate as well as contribute on special teams to help him make the team but admittedly the reports of one or two drops don't help.

One of them will probably separate between now and cut-down time. It's a toss-up but I'm picking Harper still.

In the offseason it seemed like it'd be hard to get to 53 but with Worthy seemingly headed for PUP or IR, Barclay going down for the year, and a couple other contenders going down it seems like it's kind of working itself out. Other than at the linebacker positions (Mulumba / Palmer / Hubbard/ a couple other potential gems TT has unearthed), WR (which is a bit less crowded for the 2 spots without Abby), and maybe running back (if a guy like Neal flashes in preseason and they decide he's too good to risk getting to the PS), unless someone comes out of nowhere, I'm not seeing a ton of tough decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    Not a lot to go on with Janis but his size, speed combo and early flashes in OTA's and camp already lead me to believe it'd be risky to try to get him on the practice squad.

Dorsey is getting special teams opportunities but I'm discounting that due to McCarthy's philosophy that everyone gets their opportunities, especially 2nd year guys from whom they're looking to see that jump.... It's early in camp and a ton more guys will be rotating through and getting looks on special teams before any spots are earned or decisions made...

I don't like White mainly because he's practically worthless on special teams and unless Cobb is down he's useless. The only outside hope for him would be as a punt returner and he's been dropping them with regularity when he's had the opportunities.

I think Harper will end up showing the most complete game to play all receiver positions if injuries dictate as well as contribute on special teams to help him make the team but admittedly the reports of one or two drops don't help.

One of them will probably separate between now and cut-down time. It's a toss-up but I'm picking Harper still.

In the offseason it seemed like it'd be hard to get to 53 but with Worthy seemingly headed for PUP or IR, Barclay going down for the year, and a couple other contenders going down it seems like it's kind of working itself out. Other than at the linebacker positions (Mulumba / Palmer / Hubbard/ a couple other potential gems TT has unearthed), WR (which is a bit less crowded for the 2 spots without Abby), and maybe running back (if a guy like Neal flashes in preseason and they decide he's too good to risk getting to the PS), unless someone comes out of nowhere, I'm not seeing a ton of tough decisions.
    Nice read and I almost agree 100% but I'm picking Janis because TT knows he won't last on the practice squad and I think hes better then Harper to be honest. Harper looks like a beast but hes not that good of a football player. I also think Janis could add to the return game similar to Nelson early in his career, I heard he looked good catching punts during OTAs.

Blog Entries
    Nice read and I almost agree 100% but I'm picking Janis because TT knows he won't last on the practice squad and I think hes better then Harper to be honest. Harper looks like a beast but hes not that good of a football player. I also think Janis could add to the return game similar to Nelson early in his career, I heard he looked good catching punts during OTAs.
    I got Janis and Harper making it. Janis would be a great kickoff guy - even thought those seem to be kind of obsolete with the new kickoff rules. Maybe strategies will change toward higher kickoffs to pin teams back but the safe thing is obviously to boot it through the endzone. I'd love to see a punt returner with more quicks than long speed though the ability to reliably field the punt obviously comes first. Other than Cobb I'm not sure we have that ideal guy for punt returns. Haven't heard anything of Harris fielding punts but he'd potentially be a beast for gunners to corral on punts.

If Linsley is as good as advertised at LS, Goode is probably "good" as gone. That opens up another spot somewhere.

If Janis can return punts, that would certainly improve his chances. Looks like Myles White is failing there.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen