Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: The So Early It's Both Awesome & Stupid Thread- Pick the 53

Banjo is on most of the #1 STs units, so I'm not ready to write him off yet.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    The cross training on this roster right now makes it easier to keep your best 53. With Peppers and Neal as DE/LB hybrids I think you can get away with just 5 DL until Worthy comes off the pup. Hyde as a CB/S hybrid makes the secondary battle more interesting because it could be Goodson vs Banjo vs the field for just 1 spot in the secondary. The two best battles in camp are the 5th WR and the 6th OLB.

My current favorite for 5th WR is Dorsey. He seems to be on every special teams unit and I personally find him more intriguing than the others because he's so unmeasured. His terrible college situation masked whatever talent he's got which makes him more interesting to me than the guys with clear flaws as athletes or guys who are super raw. My current favorite for 6th OLB is Mulumba. He's only been playing football for 7 years so I can only imagine the big step he took last year isn't his first or last. Elliott seems like a practice squad guy. Good player but lacks the upside of Mulumba or Hubbard. Hubbard is probably one of our better OLB's in coverage so I hope he shows enough instincts and versatility to get reps at ILB. That would be exciting. I don't see him being able to outperform Mulumba as a pass rusher.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    Why do we need Tolzien to take over for Flynn next year? Flynn is only 2 years older and Tolzien seems to be struggling so far in training camp. I still think Janis will make it over White, Dorsey, and Harper who have all been inconsistent. Also don't think they will IR Colt for just a knee sprain, he should be back this preseason. You also don't need to take out Thomas to add another DL when you keep 2 QBs.
    Been wondering about that myself. It's not like you're grooming a successor to Rodgers. All they need is a a backup, so I think Tolzien has to beat Flynn outright if he wants the job. Unless they think Tolzien has 'potential' and they think in a year or two they can parlay him into a draft pick in a trade or as compensatory pick.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Been wondering about that myself. It's not like you're grooming a successor to Rodgers. All they need is a a backup, so I think Tolzien has to beat Flynn outright if he wants the job. Unless they think Tolzien has 'potential' and they think in a year or two they can parlay him into a draft pick in a trade or as compensatory pick.
    I think Flynn is what he is. He's had a lot of experience, and he's been in this offense for a long time. He's not going to get much better. Tolzien doesn't have a lot of experience. It may take him another year before he is better than Flynn and is a viable backup, but I think they see more upside in him. After last year, I think they are more apt to keep three QBs. I could definitely see him getting cut though, if he shows little progression this preseason.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

QB (2) Rodgers, Flynn
    RB (4) Lacy, Harris, Starks, Kuhn
    WR (6) Nelson, Cobb, Boykin, Adams, Dorsey, White
    TE (3) Quarless, Bostick, Rodgers
    OL (9) Bakhtiari, Sitton, Tretter, Lang, Bulaga, Sherrod, Linsley, Fullington, Taylor
    DL (5) Daniels, Raji, Jones, Boyd, Thornton
    LB (11) Matthews, Peppers, Hawk, Jones, Neal, Perry, Bradford, Lattimore, Mulumba, Barrington, Hubbard
    CB (6) Shields, Williams, Hayward, House, Bush, Goodson
    S (4) Burnett, Clinton-Dix, Hyde, Richardson
    ST (3) Crosby, Masthay, Goode

IR: WR Abbrederis, OL Barclay
    PUP: DL Worthy, DL Guion

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    QB (2) Rodgers, Flynn
    RB (4) Lacy, Harris, Starks, Kuhn
    WR (6) Nelson, Cobb, Boykin, Adams, Dorsey, White
    TE (3) Quarless, Bostick, Rodgers
    OL (9) Bakhtiari, Sitton, Tretter, Lang, Bulaga, Sherrod, Linsley, Fullington, Taylor
    DL (5) Daniels, Raji, Jones, Boyd, Thornton
    LB (11) Matthews, Peppers, Hawk, Jones, Neal, Perry, Bradford, Lattimore, Mulumba, Barrington, Hubbard
    CB (6) Shields, Williams, Hayward, House, Bush, Goodson
    S (4) Burnett, Clinton-Dix, Hyde, Richardson
    ST (3) Crosby, Masthay, Goode

IR: WR Abbrederis, OL Barclay
    PUP: DL Worthy, DL Guion
    Finally someone who thinks White will stick around :-0

I doubt they'd go with just 3 TEs though.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Finally someone who thinks White will stick around :-0

I doubt they'd go with just 3 TEs though.
    White's strength is in the slot where the WR group is thinnest, I think that gives him an inside edge. Taylor has contributed so little outside of special teams that he's barely a TE. With all the LB's I kept I decided he was disposable.

White's strength is in the slot where the WR group is thinnest, I think that gives him an inside edge. Taylor has contributed so little outside of special teams that he's barely a TE. With all the LB's I kept I decided he was disposable.
    I agree on White, and tend to agree on Taylor. I still think if Lyerla gets back in two weeks (like some reports say), that may be enough for him to stick. More upside and Lyerla has experience playing STs. I think it's a tossup on Taylor vs. Stoneburner, but I think Taylor has been on most of the #1 STs units still (but not all). Until I start hearing about Stoneburner playing more on the #1 STs units, I think Taylor has the edge.

I was thinking that as well, but maybe not always? For ST purposes, 4-3 LBs and TEs are similar, but when you get some of the larger OLBs (converted DEs like Neale) they aren't going to run as well as the H-back types.
    --

Not to sound like a dick but its funny to me how many people are leaving Janis off the 53. I would be VERY shocked if he doesn't make the team IMO.

Not to sound like a dick but its funny to me how many people are leaving Janis off the 53. I would be VERY shocked if he doesn't make the team IMO.
    I think it's a coin flip. Since Thompson has been here, about half of the 7th round picks have made the team. Maybe Janis is more talented than some 7th round picks, but he's trying to make it at a position where there is pretty good depth. I think you have Harper, Janis, Dorsey and White fighting for the last 2 WR spots.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

You can't make the team from the hot tub. Or the communicable disease isolation tent.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    You can't make the team from the hot tub. Or the communicable disease isolation tent.
    I heard he had a nice practice yesterday.

What makes you think Jeff Janis has any better of a shot at making the 53 than Charles Johnson did last season? Is there reason to think he's head and shoulders better than the rest of the field competing for that 5th WR position?

What makes you think Jeff Janis has any better of a shot at making the 53 than Charles Johnson did last season? Is there reason to think he's head and shoulders better than the rest of the field competing for that 5th WR position?
    Because I said so!

You know I don't hype up a player without good reason.

Of all the receivers he is most likely the most physically gifted and seems to be a guy who character finds right in with the team. Also don't think Ted is wasting a pick on him if he felt comfortable with those other guys. Of course it is just my opinion but my record on calling talent when I see it speaks for itself.

I thought Johnson had a good shot at making the team, until he missed all but one day of OTAs and minicamps and 3 weeks of training camp. With only two weeks of practice, he had virtually no chance of making the 53 man roster to start the season.

Janis was a more dominating performer his last two seasons at Saginaw Valley (189/3207/31) than Johnson was at Grand Valley (128/2229/31), for whatever that means.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I thought Johnson had a good shot at making the team, until he missed all but one day of OTAs and minicamps and 3 weeks of training camp. With only two weeks of practice, he had virtually no chance of making the 53 man roster to start the season.

Janis was a more dominating performer his last two seasons at Saginaw Valley (189/3207/31) than Johnson was at Grand Valley (128/2229/31), for whatever that means.
    Which one showed up for the big rivalry game against the Colorado School of Mines?
    --

I think Lyerla is done. Best chance he has is either a PS spot or getting signed by another team. From reports I read he just started to shake off the rust, but came to camp a little heavy at 260 and didn't distinguish himself from the other UDFA TE (Perillo). Unless he comes back and lights the world on fire, Colt is not going to be on the roster.

As for Janis, he's just started practicing so it's hard to say. Great physical skills & production at a lower division, but the jury's out on whether he can adjust. If he can play ST he'll get a spot. I think he has a lot of ground to make up to catch White and Dorsey. He's another candidate for the PS IMO. He's a R7 pick, it's not like they are cutting a higher pick like Brohm.

The TE competition is gonna be fun to watch, same with backup QB, #3 RB, #3-6 WRs, and the backup OLBs.

Blog Entries
    QB Rodgers Flynn
    RB Lacy Starks Harris Kuhn
    WR Nelson Cobb Boykin Adams Janis Harper
    TE Rodgers Bostick Quarless Taylor
    OT Bulaga Bakh Sherrod
    C Tretter Linsley
    OG Sitton Lang Taylor
    NT Raji Boyd
    DE Daniels Jones Thornton
    EL Peppers Neal Perry Bradford
    OLB Matthews Mulumba Thomas
    ILB Hawk Jones Lattimore Barrington
    CB Williams Shields Hayward House Bush
    S Burnett Hyde Dix Richardson Banjo
    ST Goode Crosby Masthay

PS Neal Perillo Rettig Fullington Elliott Pennel Goodson Hubbard
    IR Lyerla Abbrederis

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    QB Rodgers Flynn
    RB Lacy Starks Harris Kuhn
    WR Nelson Cobb Boykin Adams Janis Harper
    TE Rodgers Bostick Quarless Taylor
    OT Bulaga Bakh Sherrod
    C Tretter Linsley
    OG Sitton Lang Taylor
    NT Raji Boyd
    DE Daniels Jones Thornton
    EL Peppers Neal Perry Bradford
    OLB Matthews Mulumba Thomas
    ILB Hawk Jones Lattimore Barrington
    CB Williams Shields Hayward House Bush
    S Burnett Hyde Dix Richardson Banjo
    ST Goode Crosby Masthay

PS Neal Perillo Rettig Fullington Elliott Pennel Goodson Hubbard
    IR Lyerla Abbrederis
    Pretty good cut.

I think Janis goes to PS and the WRs that make it are Myles White and Kevin Dorsey. If people think Nate Palmer (a R6 pick) is good as gone, there shouldn't be any problem with GB cutting Janis and signing him to the PS. Also, I like Harper but it sounds like he's inconsistent and a PS possibility. Dorsey is on top ST units and according to camp reports White is turning heads playing out of the slot.

I'm not sure they will keep 5 S, even if Hyde can play either S or CB. I wonder if they'll carry another OL instead.