Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Other Teams In Division News 2014

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Two years ago, I blasted Pete Carroll for continually playing up Russell Wilson's chances of starting as a rookie. My bad, though I think that credit should go to the defense for keeping the team afloat for half the season.

Now we have news of the opposite approach.

Chris B. Brown ‏@smartfootball 11m
    Pettine believes rookies start at bottom MT @AlbertBreer In CLE, Hoyer getting 1st team reps with Browns O. Thingpen, 2nd, Manziel is 3rd.

If that continues, could be just as dumb. Not sure if they have the defense to pull that off, though it is a good one.
    No the credit should go to Wilson for clearly being the best QB on the roster.

Browns are just trying to keep Manziel's ego in check, he'll be the starter by week 4.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Manzier is keeping his own ego in check. He originally stated that he had no expectations and had to earn his position on the team. Still, passing up Thigpen on a depth chart is about as hard as getting past granny in her smart car on the way to church.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

FAIRLEY OUT OF OTAS AFTER UNDISCLOSED “PROCEDURE”

They are putting scare quote tattoos on his legs.
    Not a great start for poor Jim Caldwell. Suh's contract - or lack of a renegotiated contract - has become a distraction in Detroit, along with his absence at earlier voluntary workouts.

Fairley has been fairly disappointing, but the procedure was supposedly minor and not football-related, whatever it was.

The brass has definitely put lots of pressure on Caldwell - they've been explicit that it's a win-now expectation, and that's not just words for the fans, like it was when
    MM got here years ago and TT and MM said they expected not to rebuild. We all knew better.

In Detroit, they mean it.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I'm torn on Bridgewater. his numbers in college were pretty good -- accurate, didn't throw many picks, etc. and from the highlights it looks like he could make a play out of nothing and guys seem to enjoy playing with him.
    From what I hear his pro day was historically bad, but if you look at the tape he's a good player. I haven't looked at what kind of teams he played against, so maybe it was easy pickings.

Turner is being pitched as a QB whisperer, and supposedly Teddy passed a private pre-draft workout with the Vikes with flying colors, so who knows.
    He might be Brad Johnson II or Brian Brohm II. I honestly have no idea, but I don't see him as a Top 5 QB. They'll give Cassel a chance to win a few games before putting Teddy in there. Having AP will take a ton of pressure of him, and having guys like GJ and Corderelle to throw to will be nice, but if he's got a thin build, small hands and so-so arm, I wonder how he'll hold up especially when December rolls around.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    He may have to be. There's rumors that AP may get traded after this season. If it's another stinker season as Cassel tanks and Bridgewater has to learn on the job, AP's contract (14.4M), age, and injury history (3 surgeries in 3 yrs) starts looking worse and worse. Add in that Norv Turner likes to use a 2 back system and I just don't think the Vikes can justify paying him what they do, even if he still is the best RB in the game. So that is going to put a lot of pressure on Bridgewater to be the man.
    The Vikings had horrible timing with his contract. They locked up a premier player for the long term, and a year or so later the bottom fell out of the market. His cap hit is $5M more than the #2 RB, and his $11.75M base is double that of any RB other than McCoy, and triple the #6 paid RB.

OTOH dead money would be less than $5M this year.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post

Browns are just trying to keep Manziel's ego in check, he'll be the starter by week 4.
    Methinks they're going a little overboard and are going to absolutely ruin his confidence before he even steps on the field!
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...antial-margin/

They certainly seem to be approaching him with the idea that he needs to be taken down a peg or 3. If they see him as this big of a problem, why draft him??? Unless Haslam forced them into it? Nah.....
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Two years ago, I blasted Pete Carroll for continually playing up Russell Wilson's chances of starting as a rookie. My bad, though I think that credit should go to the defense for keeping the team afloat for half the season.

Now we have news of the opposite approach.

Chris B. Brown ‏@smartfootball 11m
    Pettine believes rookies start at bottom MT @AlbertBreer In CLE, Hoyer getting 1st team reps with Browns O. Thingpen, 2nd, Manziel is 3rd.

If that continues, could be just as dumb. Not sure if they have the defense to pull that off, though it is a good one.
    Manziel has to be estatic. Actually I hope he's reality based and sitting to learn.

It's best to bring him along slowly. Throwing him to the sharks need not be an option.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...trike-contract

Teddy Bridgewater, Minnesota Vikings strike contract

By Chris Wesseling ... Around the League Writer

Published: May 20, 2014 at 11:18 a.m. ... Updated: May 21, 2014 at 10:08 a.m.

" Coach Mike Zimmer has made it clear that Bridgewater will compete with Matt Cassel for the starting job, and the organization obviously hopes the rookie will win out.

We have debated on the "Around The League Podcast" and in print whether Bridgewater or Matt Cassel is the favorite to start the season opener. "
    Fr. LINK
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    IIRC reports were that the Browns really like Hoyer, so I'm not surprised he's running with the 1's. I'd have expected Manziel to be #2 though. Pettine is either making Manziel put in the work and earn it, which I'm ok with, or he's dumb and inflexible. I guess we'll find out.
    I have read that Michael Lombhardi loved Hoyer and was pushing him from inside the building as the player who should be starting.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

That's a pretty relative standard. At one point, Paul McDonald and Randy Wright were thought to be the best QBs on their teams.

Defense won them games early in Wilson's first season.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Defense won them games early in Wilson's first season.
    it won them the Divisional Playoff game, the NFC championship game, and the Superbowl. That doesn't mean Wilson aint any good, but dammit, Seattle was almost all about their damn defense, running game and then a solid collection of clutch plays from Wilson. Dude is a great leader; his team believes in him absolutely, they wouldn't be champs without him; but he's third in importance for that team winning the Superbowl.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Wilson had ability...availability that is. The D kept his limits hidden early on as PB said, but Russel is a sharp guy and learned on the fly. I am of the opinion that a guy is better off sitting a year though if they don't have Lynch and the Seattle D to help him along.

And I agree on Manziel although by all reports his ego is in check. I think the Browns are trying to keep the MEDIA'S PERCEPTION of his ego in check.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Wilson had ability...availability that is. The D kept his limits hidden early on as PB said, but Russel is a sharp guy and learned on the fly. I am of the opinion that a guy is better off sitting a year though if they don't have Lynch and the Seattle D to help him along.

And I agree on Manziel although by all reports his ego is in check. I think the Browns are trying to keep the MEDIA'S PERCEPTION of his ego in check.
    Defense was the reason they won games but they had little to do with Wilson tying the NFL rookie mark for TD passes. Not like he was Rex Grossman out there playing QB. Wilson also didn't turn the ball over, threw for a high %, and had a QBR over 100. Plus they fact he can make plays with his legs.

Blog Entries
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjfB4qDx3RM

PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO THE 10-15 SECOND MARK ON ABOVE VIDEO BEFORE READING BELOW

I don't get the downplaying of how outstanding Russell Wilson has been; you guys sound like Badger Haters
    Russell Wilson has looked good from day one
    What does Pete Carroll ask him to do ?
    Has he been successful or not ? What was his quarterback rating last year in comparison to some of the more veteran QB's that my guess is some in here perceive to be superior to Russell Wilson ?
    Which games did Pete Carroll cut Russell Wilson loose last year ?
    What is his INT/TD Ratio ?

Last, but not least, go back to the year Russell Wilson was drafted............look at everybody picked ahead of him....and consider where he'd be rated right now in that draft.

I know Seattle's defense is outstanding; but that fed off of an incredibly smart QB who could throw with solid completion percentage, keep drives alive with his feet, and not turn the ball over ! That was a nice compliment to a superior special teams(we would not know what one looks like) that didn't give up return yardage on punts. All of that together made a champion.

I can't believe the Badger fans who watched this guy carry us for a year have not chimed in here. I leave for a few days and come back to this ? ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    Defense was the reason they won games but they had little to do with Wilson tying the NFL rookie mark for TD passes. Not like he was Rex Grossman out there playing QB. Wilson also didn't turn the ball over, threw for a high %, and had a QBR over 100. Plus they fact he can make plays with his legs.
    THANK YOU.......for the logic..........from reading in here I'd think he was Trent Dilfer...............Is this guy not still in the top 10 for QB rating ? Are there 10 better quarterbacks ? I highly doubt Pete Carroll would get much past five if he was rating what he wants in his QB.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    I can't believe the Badger fans who watched this guy carry us for a year have not chimed in here. I leave for a few days and come back to this ? ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Hard for Packers fans to give him credit ever since the Fail Marry.

He's a good player on a great team.

Its not like the guy had any talent around him at WR, wait until he gets Harvin for a full season. IMO hes like a combination of Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers. Not saying hes on their level but he will be one day.

Blog Entries
    Pete Carroll rarely unleashed Wilson; but when he did.............dude balls it....see first half against NO Saints. A good player on a great team....too dam simple. How many offensive players on Seattle do you take over Wilson ? Lynch....sure....who else ? And how many points did they score per game ? It's not like they were the Ravens playing prevent offense. Look at the numbers; they don't lie. I'm not saying he's great; but Brandon is spot on; he's hated/downgraded because of that one pass when he deserves credit for leading his team to a championship......rather than being considered a sidekick...

Hard for Packers fans to give him credit ever since the Fail Marry.
    not me. I hate Tate and Carroll for pretending that play was legit. Wilson appears to be a great guy.