Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Other Teams In Division News 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjfB4qDx3RM

PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO THE 10-15 SECOND MARK ON ABOVE VIDEO BEFORE READING BELOW
    You're old B. Age old question I suppose, but Russell isn't a prototypical NFL QB and therefor they win in spite of him I suppose? Tough to sound smart when the whole discussion is theoretical but there are quite a few QB's you'd take right now over Wilson. In the sports guy world, same as on an internet forum, you're either the best or the worst. There can be no in between.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    You're old B. Age old question I suppose, but Russell isn't a prototypical NFL QB and therefor they win in spite of him I suppose? Tough to sound smart when the whole discussion is theoretical but there are quite a few QB's you'd take right now over Wilson. In the sports guy world, same as on an internet forum, you're either the best or the worst. There can be no in between.
    Mediocre post.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    not me. I hate Tate and Carroll for pretending that play was legit. Wilson appears to be a great guy.
    This - all damn day.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Wilson had ability...availability that is. The D kept his limits hidden early on as PB said, but Russel is a sharp guy and learned on the fly. I am of the opinion that a guy is better off sitting a year though if they don't have Lynch and the Seattle D to help him along.

And I agree on Manziel although by all reports his ego is in check. I think the Browns are trying to keep the MEDIA'S PERCEPTION of his ego in check.
    Agreed. I am less sold on Hoyer actually holding on to the starters job (though he has his supporters) but I think the public discussion of something coaches and teams are usually lithe to talk about is more about the public than the player right now.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    Defense was the reason they won games but they had little to do with Wilson tying the NFL rookie mark for TD passes. Not like he was Rex Grossman out there playing QB. Wilson also didn't turn the ball over, threw for a high %, and had a QBR over 100. Plus they fact he can make plays with his legs.
    No doubt the kid can deliver plays. He is not JUST a game manager who avoids mistakes. He has genuine talent and a big arm. But he is ultra conservative on most plays and that plays well into his team's strengths. He is a perfect fit. But I do think he did not come to be a dangerous player until the second half of his rookie season.

The weapons argument is legit. I just view him as a second level guy (behind Rodgers, Manning, Brady, Brees). Also give him credit for not trying to be the statue QB like Ben, Aikman or Carson Palmer. He knows he does not need to take that kind of punishment when he can move like he can. Its a lesson Manziel would do well to learn.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    No doubt the kid can deliver plays. He is not JUST a game manager who avoids mistakes. He has genuine talent and a big arm. But he is ultra conservative on most plays and that plays well into his team's strengths. He is a perfect fit. But I do think he did not come to be a dangerous player until the second half of his rookie season.

The weapons argument is legit. I just view him as a second level guy (behind Rodgers, Manning, Brady, Brees). Also give him credit for not trying to be the statue QB like Ben, Aikman or Carson Palmer. He knows he does not need to take that kind of punishment when he can move like he can. Its a lesson Manziel would do well to learn.
    It seems a little funny, but I see Brady and Rodgers as more on the conservative side of the QB spectrum as well. Rodgers can make any throw, sure, but there are several that he won't take. I wonder if his collarbone injury last year will affect his risk/reward calculations or if he'll throw more away and take less sacks.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Having seen Wilson at WI I knew he was going to make some team very happy. He's smart and has a great arm, those 2 traits alone will carry him very far in this league. Add in that he's mobile and looks to use his mobility to throw first then run and he's an elite talent just waiting to be recognized. He's like ARod in that he doesn't force stuff and thus keeps his INTs down. I think he'll be underrated most of his career while he keeps piling up wins and possibly more SBs.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    It seems a little funny, but I see Brady and Rodgers as more on the conservative side of the QB spectrum as well. Rodgers can make any throw, sure, but there are several that he won't take. I wonder if his collarbone injury last year will affect his risk/reward calculations or if he'll throw more away and take less sacks.
    I hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    I think he'll be underrated most of his career while he keeps piling up wins and possibly more SBs.
    That won't last long in the NFL. He's not Trent Dilfer for crissakes. Unfortunately for the Packers, he seems destined to be a smarter, more mobile Terry Bradshaw, and possibly accumulate as many rings.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    That won't last long in the NFL. He's not Trent Dilfer for crissakes. Unfortunately for the Packers, he seems destined to be a smarter, more mobile Terry Bradshaw, and possibly accumulate as many rings.
    My eleven year old dog is a smarter, more mobile Terry Bradshaw. I grew up watching the 70's teams, and while I greatly admired the Steeler receivers, such as Lynn Swan (Swann?), I never was impressed by Terry Bradshaw.

I don't know that much, really, about Russell Wilson. He seems awfully good for a second year guy especially, and it'll be interesting to see how he develops or how the team's talent pool fluctuates and how he then responds.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Swann, yeah

Wilson is a nice QB but I can't see him carrying a team like Rodgers, Brady, Brees or Manning do.

If he never has to, people will consider him an all-time great regardless, because that's how it works with quarterbacks (Bradshaw, Roethlisberger, Aikman).

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Wilson is a nice QB but I can't see him carrying a team like Rodgers, Brady, Brees or Manning do.
    He only put up better numbers his first two seasons then those guys their first two seasons playing. His mental makeup is also a lot like those three guys in the way he studies and prepares for games.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    He only put up better numbers his first two seasons then those guys their first two seasons playing. His mental makeup is also a lot like those three guys in the way he studies and prepares for games.
    I'd downplay the stats, because of the various different circumstances involved. Wilson so far has had a good situation, in that the defense allows him to work like a starting pitcher with a three run lead. But when you look at individual games, when the chips are down, Wilson typically plays great. Any team that becomes one-dimensional can get punked, and Wilson would probably look as bad as Manning did in the Super Bowl last year in similar circumstances. He's really young, but a lot of his great plays remind me of Elway back in the 80's engineering comebacks. Funny thing is that (circumstances again) Wilson doesn't seem to make as many of the same reckless mistakes that some of the younger great QBs made (except Marino maybe). He's an interesting guy with a huge upside in a great environment. Will be fun to watch in the upcoming years. I just hope he plays like crap against the Pack!

Blog Entries
    I notice that the Wilson detractors don't provide specifics (AND I DON"T BLAME THEM ONE BIT) so I'm happy to put myself out there with a view to be analyzed

Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers are top tier QB's in the NFL and undoubtedly better than Wilson. I doubt Wilson ever gets to that level.

But then I think you can throw him into the next tier of QB's that would include guys like Romo, Capernick, Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Stafford, Rothlisberger, Luck, Newton, Cutler, and RG3

When looking at that group it's not hard to argue Russell Wilson is in the top third of QB's in the NFL. I'd take him over a number of the above QB's. Stats would undoubtedly support this.

YET..........somehow........Seattle wins with what some call a Game Manager................at QB
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

There was plenty of evidence during the season. They kept talking about how they were using only a part of their offense and asking him to be cautious while they figured out what would work.

Eventually they grew more bold and even used some read option. He was efficient but not dominating in the first half of that season.
    Last edited by pbmax; 05-24-2014 at 09:53 AM.

It's been interesting to follow the new Lions' coach as he attempts to do the balancing act required in Detroit with Suh. Caldwell of course is pooh-poohing any notion of Suh's lingering contract talks (renogotiation) being an issue, but the thing is taking on its own life.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...dling-behemoth

This reminds me of the Packers' camp in 2009, when Brent "retired" then wanted to come back. Everybody hopes there is no distraction, but there is. It's not a scenario any coach wants to have to deal with - having a player be the spotlight, for negative reasons.

But that's what Caldwell's gotten. Not the ideal way to start things - it all just sounds like the same ol' Detroit Lions.

As for Suh himself, what might he have meant when he said he could've made a decision on draft day that would've landed him elsewhere? The only scenario in which that could occur would seem to be demanding a trade and insisting one will not play for a certain team - the ol' Elway/Eli move.

No matter what the guy says, he'll either sign a renegotiated contract that will give the Lions some leeway this year but will kill them down the road, or Suh really just wants out of Detroit, will break off talks once the season begins, claiming he really, really tried and it just didn't work out.

Neither way seems terribly beneficial for the Lions - they already have big contracts and a narrow cap space this year, with things only getting better as Bush's, Stafford's, Johnson's, and Tate's contracts begin to balloon up and up in the coming years.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

PASSING
    Code:
    Value		G	W	L	T	Cmp	Att	Cmp%	Yds	TD	Int	Rate	Y/A	AY/A	

September	4	2	2	0	60	100	60.00%	594	4	4	73.5	5.94	4.94
    October		4	2	2	0	69	110	62.73%	872	6	4	90.4	7.93	7.38
    November	3	2	1	0	49	70	70.00%	585	7	0	128.6	8.36	10.36	
    December	5	5	0	0	74	113	65.49%	1067	9	2	115.2	9.44	10.24

RUSHING
    Code:
    Month		A/G	Y/G	Att	Yds	Y/A	TD	A/G	Y/G	TD	Pts
    September	25.0	148.5	22	80	3.64	0	5.5	20.0	0	0
    October		27.5	218.0	14	48	3.43	0	3.5	12.0	0	0
    November	23.3	195.0	21	99	4.71	0	7.0	33.0	0	0
    December	22.6	213.4	37	262	7.08	4	7.4	52.4	4	24
    Last edited by pbmax; 05-24-2014 at 10:06 AM.

Just opinions here...

The Lions seem to be the same old Lions, so far. The Suh stuff, future cap problems, still a lack of defensive backs.

The Vikings are still in transition. After they moved Percy Harvin for what, two big draft picks, I thought they'd set themselves up to rebound quickly, but here they are, with the best running back in the game whose rumored to be traded after the year, and another new first round draft pick QB with some questions attached.

The Bears, I dunno what to think. I don't think they had a sexy draft, but maybe it was a good draft. But with Cutler there, there's always that game-losing interception to be tossed.

KYPack