Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Non NFC North NFL News 2014 (Unofficial Johnny Manziel)

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    I think part of the reason Goodell has waited to act in the McDonald case is that 1.) McDonald was still locked up when last I checked and 2.) the Ray Rice situation really had to be resolved first.

I just can't stand the hypocrisy of people like Terry Whatsherface of the National Organization of Women saying, after the new video leak, that Goodell should resign. But meanwhile, she - acting as the representative of NOW, failed to publicly comdemn Goodell until AFTER SHE SAW THE VIDEO.

So, should she resign, too, then? If her most recent public statements are indeed the correct course of action for someone in her position, it seems she failed in her role by not making them when this story first broke months ago. That's by her own standard.
    I think the working theory there is that the League had reps who looked at the video and, given the leaks about it well before its release, that he would have been briefed on it.

Better question that never gets answered: Did they know they DIDN'T want to see it or was it some kind of general see no evil stance (why go looking for trouble)?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

The latest is that law enforcement sent the NFL the evidence in April including all the video. They better not have. Can you imagine, you get arrested for battery and you're employer calls the police and says "could you shoot me a copy of the evidence you have against our guy" and they fucking do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rastak View Post
    The latest is that law enforcement sent the NFL the evidence in April including all the video. They better not have. Can you imagine, you get arrested for battery and you're employer calls the police and says "could you shoot me a copy of the evidence you have against our guy" and they fucking do it?
    The official claiming to have sent the video is not releasing his name, so if it happened it likely was not an approved action. Not sure what the NFL would do if they received the video under those circumstances.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

James Harrison ✔ @jharrison9292
    Follow
    @nflcommish ain't no fun when the rabbit got the gun huh?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    Could this be the end of the Goodell era?
    Roger hasn't been heard from in so long he's on milk cartons wondering where he is. Anybody still think he's going to keep his job?
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    I heard they moved Goodell's desk to Dick Cheney's old "secure undisclosed location."
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

He was safe until sponsors got upset. Piss off various activists, no problem. Piss off Budweiser, big problem.

Goodell may make it to the end of the investigation so they can clear house of him plus whoever saw the Rice video at once, instead of taking the publicity hit twice.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    He was safe until sponsors got upset. Piss off various activists, no problem. Piss off Budweiser, big problem.

Goodell may make it to the end of the investigation so they can clear house of him plus whoever saw the Rice video at once, instead of taking the publicity hit twice.
    True but it's not completely one-sided. The sponsors are acting because they're afraid their own images will get tarnished. Or, more concretely, out of fear that if a group of activists decided to mount a boycott in response to the scandal de jour, the sponsor might become one of its targets. (Much easier to boycott Budweiser or Marriott than the Vikings, especially in a year when the team's won-loss record is already causing fans to think about abandoning ship!)

It's all about shaking your money maker. If ever anyone wonders what might be the reason the league acts as it does, the answer is that it's about protecting the brand.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    It's all about shaking your money maker.
    Come on Fritz, shake that money maker!

Vikings add another former Packer.

Vikings add Charles Johnson to fill Adrian Peterson’s roster spot
    Posted by Michael David Smith on September 20, 2014, 2:05 PM EDT

The Vikings have added a player to the roster to fill the spot vacated by putting Adrian Peterson on the exempt/commissioner’s permission list that most people had never heard of until this crazy week in the NFL.

That player is receiver Charles Johnson, who was signed off the Browns’ practice squad.

Johnson was initially a seventh-round pick of the Packers last year and didn’t make Green Bay’s 53-man roster but did make the practice squad. The Browns then signed Johnson away from the Packers’ practice squad and put him on the active roster, although he didn’t play in any regular-season games.

Vikings offensive coordinator Norv Turner was the Browns’ offensive coordinator last year, so Johnson arrives already knowing Turner’s offense.

Gamblin' Rat
    ESPN has a very good story up on the whole Ray Rice case and video. Pretty damning. There is a section in the story where they lay out how the "independent" investigation appears to be anything but. All these guys are connected. What a joke.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/...er-goodell-nfl

Gamblin' Rat
    Just noticed it was already linked in the Rice thread. Sorry.

Matt Cassel out for the year. Bridgewater to start. I haven't seen him play. Is he a read-option guy?
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Matt Cassel out for the year. Bridgewater to start. I haven't seen him play. Is he a read-option guy?
    No. He's mobile, but more like a Russel Wilson type for mobility. Will move to throw. More of a pocket passer from what I've heard/seen.

Scott Wells finds another way to miss some time - a tick bite!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-wells-to-icu/
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    No. He's mobile, but more like a Russel Wilson type for mobility. Will move to throw. More of a pocket passer from what I've heard/seen.
    So the D is in for a rough time on Thursday, eh?

Yes, I think so. I predict a game in which the Packers go off the field at halftime, behind the Vikings, with the fans booing lustily.

I just get that sense. Why Fat Mike can't seem to get his teams really ready is something I'm puzzled by.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Rat Starter
    Career underachiever Jayrone Elliot is on an NFL roster but not overachiever Michael Sam?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Lannister View Post
    Career underachiever Jayrone Elliot is on an NFL roster but not overachiever Michael Sam?
    Ok...

Not sure how a UDFA that clawed his way onto the team is an underachiever. Sam? No one seems to bring up the gay thing much any more, and when all was said and done he doesn't seem to have caused much in the way of problems in St-Louis, he just doesn't seem to be drawing any interest.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...