Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Non NFC North NFL News 2014 (Unofficial Johnny Manziel)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    It's being speculated on that's for sure. Never underestimate the power of the media though.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Blog Entries
    Goodell stays.

That said, the NFL needs to improve it's PR. A Pete Rozelle led NFL would've suspended Ray Rice for a year (indefinitely) so fast it wudda made your head spin.

Not for the morality of the issue, for the possible exposure to negative PR the incident might generate.

Goodell just isn't wired that way and cleans up his issues on the back side of 'em. He needs to get out that mode and get ahead of the problems before they mushroom on him like this thing did.

Dollar wise, the guy is incredible and that's all the owners care about.

Not that the media isn't trying like hell to make a story where there is none. Couple of articles about it on PFT's front page. Sportsline is carrying something about it. Dan Patrick thinks he should be suspended to 'show accountability'.

Am I missing something? What did he do wrong, except bobbling this a bit but rectifying it before it mattered? If Rice had served the 2 game suspension, come back and played a few, then been re-suspended, that would've been different, but it was changed before any of that happened. 2 weeks before that happened.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

rodger goodell is about as culpable for any of this as jason whitlock or the governor of new jersey. People are just out for blood. The irony is astounding.

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Not that the media isn't trying like hell to make a story where there is none. Couple of articles about it on PFT's front page. Sportsline is carrying something about it. Dan Patrick thinks he should be suspended to 'show accountability'.

Am I missing something? What did he do wrong, except bobbling this a bit but rectifying it before it mattered? If Rice had served the 2 game suspension, come back and played a few, then been re-suspended, that would've been different, but it was changed before any of that happened. 2 weeks before that happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    rodger goodell is about as culpable for any of this as jason whitlock or the governor of new jersey. People are just out for blood. The irony is astounding.
    I am not in the fire Roger chorus (not for this anyway) however, he does have some blame in this area if not this incident.

He has constructed a system of procedures and policies with no meaningful checks and balances when it comes to Player Conduct. It is inconsistent and a virtual closed loop. Its produces neither certainty nor any degree of trust that it was complete. Its seems mostly arbitrary. Even of-field conduct gets reviewed by arbitrators chosen jointly by the League and the Players. Player Conduct is reviewed by the prosecuting attorney, who is also the judge.

Take for instance, the current stance on McDonald for the 49ers. They are waiting for the court case. But in other circumstances, he has acted prior (see Aldon Smith or Rothliesberger). Does anyone know how that decision is made? It doesn't seem consistent from case to case.

Now in the Rice situation, we know the NFL is willing to act when it is not in possession of all available information. But its investigation not only was incomplete, it had ended. And there has been no explanation how such an oversight occurred except that they stopped asking.

He has made himself a one man gang on this issue, and is mucking it up. That is not effective administration.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I think a lot of it is just the general discontent anyone not the owners has towards Goodell. Despite the profits, he's probably one of the more unpopular league commissioners in recent history.

I wonder if the Ravens would have come down as hard on Ray Lewis had this happened to him when he was playing? Oh wait they wouldn't have, the thug was untouchable.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 42s
    The #Rams are expected to place DE Chris Log on IR/Designated to return following ankle surgery, source says. Out 2 months
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    The #Rams are expected to place DE Chris Log on IR/Designated to return following ankle surgery, source says. Out 2 months
    That injury looked awful.

I wonder how close Sam was to making the team? Any possibility of signing him from Dallas' PS, or are they glad to be rid of him?
    --

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Damn. The Rams are snakebit too.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

I think part of the reason Goodell has waited to act in the McDonald case is that 1.) McDonald was still locked up when last I checked and 2.) the Ray Rice situation really had to be resolved first.

I just can't stand the hypocrisy of people like Terry Whatsherface of the National Organization of Women saying, after the new video leak, that Goodell should resign. But meanwhile, she - acting as the representative of NOW, failed to publicly comdemn Goodell until AFTER SHE SAW THE VIDEO.

So, should she resign, too, then? If her most recent public statements are indeed the correct course of action for someone in her position, it seems she failed in her role by not making them when this story first broke months ago. That's by her own standard.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    I think part of the reason Goodell has waited to act in the McDonald case is that 1.) McDonald was still locked up when last I checked and 2.) the Ray Rice situation really had to be resolved first.

I just can't stand the hypocrisy of people like Terry Whatsherface of the National Organization of Women saying, after the new video leak, that Goodell should resign. But meanwhile, she - acting as the representative of NOW, failed to publicly comdemn Goodell until AFTER SHE SAW THE VIDEO.

So, should she resign, too, then? If her most recent public statements are indeed the correct course of action for someone in her position, it seems she failed in her role by not making them when this story first broke months ago. That's by her own standard.
    I think the working theory there is that the League had reps who looked at the video and, given the leaks about it well before its release, that he would have been briefed on it.

Better question that never gets answered: Did they know they DIDN'T want to see it or was it some kind of general see no evil stance (why go looking for trouble)?

The latest is that law enforcement sent the NFL the evidence in April including all the video. They better not have. Can you imagine, you get arrested for battery and you're employer calls the police and says "could you shoot me a copy of the evidence you have against our guy" and they fucking do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rastak View Post
    The latest is that law enforcement sent the NFL the evidence in April including all the video. They better not have. Can you imagine, you get arrested for battery and you're employer calls the police and says "could you shoot me a copy of the evidence you have against our guy" and they fucking do it?
    The official claiming to have sent the video is not releasing his name, so if it happened it likely was not an approved action. Not sure what the NFL would do if they received the video under those circumstances.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Rat Starter
    Career underachiever Jayrone Elliot is on an NFL roster but not overachiever Michael Sam?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Lannister View Post
    Career underachiever Jayrone Elliot is on an NFL roster but not overachiever Michael Sam?
    Ok...

Not sure how a UDFA that clawed his way onto the team is an underachiever. Sam? No one seems to bring up the gay thing much any more, and when all was said and done he doesn't seem to have caused much in the way of problems in St-Louis, he just doesn't seem to be drawing any interest.
    --

Rat Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Ok...

Not sure how a UDFA that clawed his way onto the team is an underachiever. Sam? No one seems to bring up the gay thing much any more, and when all was said and done he doesn't seem to have caused much in the way of problems in St-Louis, he just doesn't seem to be drawing any interest.
    According to a JSO article, Elliot didn't take things seriously until his senior year in college. Seems like an underachiever to me.

I honestly believe that if Sam had stayed in the closet, he would be on an NFL roster right now. He was SEC DOY and showed plenty of potentials in the pre-season.

A guy like Elliot had 3 sacks in a game against a backup tackle and he made the team. Well, Sam had multiple sacks in the preseason, too.
    Last edited by Tyrion Lannister; 10-23-2014 at 10:29 PM.

According to a JSO article, Elliot didn't take things seriously until his senior year in college. Seems like an underachiever to me.

I honestly believe that if Sam had stayed in the closet, he would be on an NFL roster right now. He was SEC DOY and showed plenty of potentials in the pre-season.

A guy like Elliot had 3 sacks in a game against a backup tackle and he made the team. Well, Sam had multiple sacks in the preseason, too.
    Colledge awards and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee. Some guys don't translate well to the NFL, and he seems to be one of them. Do you really think St-Louis and Dallas both cut him despite the fact he could contribute.
    --

Jumbo Rat HOFer

Sam reminds me of Jamal Reynolds.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

James Harrison ✔ @jharrison9292
    Follow
    @nflcommish ain't no fun when the rabbit got the gun huh?