Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Non NFC North NFL News 2014 (Unofficial Johnny Manziel)

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    I wonder if he'll try the CFL?

Former star and personally troubled WR Chad Johnson (formerly Chad Ochocinco) has been signed by the Montreal Alouettes. He seems happy about that and Montreal is a world class city. It'll be interesting to see how he does in the CFL. I hope he can turn his life around.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chad_Jo...ican_football)

Its too cold in Montreal and the french look down at black folk. Its real hard for Montreal to attract top notch talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Its too cold in Montreal and the french look down at black folk. Its real hard for Montreal to attract top notch talent.
    Holy fuck that noise I'm hearing must be your butt cheeks slapping together while you're talking. The french, as a whole, are very tolerant and accepting of blacks. There is a very active Senegalese community in Montreal, among others. France itself maintained relationships with its African colonies and I have seen more Africans walking around France than any other European country. They have some messed up policies concerning immigration to Quebec, but they apply to everyone!
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    So was Schiano right and Morris wrong?

Or did Schiano cause the problem?

Outside of his rookie year, he was never in good hands with coaching on the offense. The Bucs were still reeling from Jagodzinski's aborted tenure.
    I'm looking at what happened after his time with the Bucs as much as anything else. The Vikings got a long look at him, and decided to pass. It didn't take the Giants long to let him go, keeping Curtis Painter instead.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    We are allowed to talk about quarterbacks not named Manziel in here, right?

Freeman dumped by the Giants. Eli was able to participate in OTAs, so his camp arm wasn't needed anymore.

Crazy how the wheels fell off for this guy. 26 years old, went to the probowl as an alternate in 2010. I gave him the benefit of the doubt in TB with Shianco there, but he's been through 2 more franchises now. His career path is looking like VY's.
    Yea I don't understand, I still remember this guy beating us in his first start in the NFL. Everyone was going crazy after that lost calling for TT head on another message board I use to post on. I tried to defend TT stating how we were going in the right direction and was ban by a Favre loving Admin. Anyway long story short I started posting here more and we went on to win the SB that year. I made another account to post a "told ya so" thread on that board and was ban again.

I also heard the Packers were thinking about bringing him in if they didn't sign Flynn.

I'm looking at what happened after his time with the Bucs as much as anything else. The Vikings got a long look at him, and decided to pass. It didn't take the Giants long to let him go, keeping Curtis Painter instead.
    He was clearly a camp arm for the Giants and didn't get much time with them.

The Vikes are interesting, I wonder whether he was let go independently or if he went out with a new O coaching staff?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Reports out of the Giants camp now are that Freeman couldn't pick up the offense. He was pulled from a practice session for lining up the O incorrectly. He was only there for 6 weeks, but he should've had the basics by then. You have to wonder how he had that great season.

He might've been primarily a camp arm for the Giants, but you have to think they were hoping he'd turn into a bit more.
    --

Reports out of the Giants camp now are that Freeman couldn't pick up the offense. He was pulled from a practice session for lining up the O incorrectly. He was only there for 6 weeks, but he should've had the basics by then. You have to wonder how he had that great season.

He might've been primarily a camp arm for the Giants, but you have to think they were hoping he'd turn into a bit more.
    That basically what I heard coming out of Minnesota last year. Tampa Bay must have had a pretty simple system that he could handle in 2010.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    That basically what I heard coming out of Minnesota last year. Tampa Bay must have had a pretty simple system that he could handle in 2010.
    He scored a 27 on the wonderlic test so I don't think thats the problem. There have been rumors about him being a coke head which makes the most sense to me.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Noah Way!

"Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

It does get cold in montreal in the winter months. It gets cold in Canada in the winter months.

The CFL schedule runs from (this seaon ) June 09, 2014 through to the playoffs and the Grey Cup Game scheduled for NOV. 30, 2014. It's not cold generally in Canada in late November.

Montreal Average Monthly Temperatures:

Avg. May: 14.5ºC / 58.1ºF

June: 19.3ºC / 67ºF

July: 22.3ºC / 72ºF

Aug.: 20.8ºC / 69ºF

Sept. :15.7ºC / 60ºF

Oct. : 9.2ºC / 49ºF

Nov. : 2.5ºC / 36.5ºF

It's football not beach volleyball.

Montreal and racism: I believe your pulling our legs but just in case. Montreal is in Canada. If your a decent person here you don't get into trouble. You don't see trouble and that related to racism. If your a White or Black and you screw up or attract the attention of the law. You'll be generally treated the same inspite of your race or color if your attitude is cool.

I'll offer this:

http://www.educ.ualberta.ca/css/Css_35_4/BRmontreal.htm

In The Road To Now...a description of the rather rueful black experience in Montreal, Quebec.

Author (Dorothy Williams) provides a historic overview of the black experience in Montreal; from the days of black slavery in New France to the present.

Williams asserts that the period between 1897 and 1930 witnessed the beginning of a genuine black community in Montreal. During this thirty year period, important institutional development took place:

The establishment of the Union United Church in 1907.

The Universal Negro Improvement Association in 1919.

The Negro Community Centre in 1927.

Williams monitors the activities of these three institutions in assessing the changing nature of Montreal's black community.

** For black males, most of whom lived in the city's West End. The railways were the dominant source of employment. Blacks were hired as redcaps, sleeping car porters and cooks.

This racially segregated hiring policy had many advantages for the railways:

Wage rates for black labor were low.

The author maintains that the predominantly white travelling public gained a feeling of superior status when attended to by black personnel, thus enhancing the romance of rail travel.

** The dominant occupation for black females was domestic service with all the pitfalls associated with that occupation.

** World War II brought changes to both male and female working blacks.

Women found employment in war industries and many of the porters working for the CPR were unionized, giving them added job security and presumably better working conditions.

** The decade of the 1960s marked the introduction of "well educated" French-speaking Haitians into Montreal's black community.

** In the 1970s the city's West End no longer defined the boundaries of Montreal's blacks as the latter moved into white districts giving rise to increased friction between the two races.

An overview:

From their introduction to New France as slaves until the arrival of the well-educated French-speaking Haitians of the 1960s, the author Dorothy Williams states that Montreal blacks have been subjected to constant racial discrimination.

In earlier periods as porters, redcaps and domestics to more recent years as taxi drivers, they have had to struggle to preserve some semblance of human rights and dignity.

During periods of prosperity for white Quebeckers, black Montrealers have failed to prosper equitably because of racial prejudice. The struggle continues in the present-day environment where police-black relations in the city remain problematic.

So there is support for your post there Just Jeff except for this:

Chad Johnson will be given celebrity status and if he's a decent citizen will be treated like you or I would be. If he screws up he'll place himself in jeopardy and that and the police means stay calm and keep your mouth shut. Get your lawyer ASAP for support. In every police force there exists an element of darkness that you hope won't beset you. Police forces have their pricks...bad guys.

Your post and the temperatures in Montreal being a deterrent and Chad Johnson playing for the Montreal Alouettes:

Not so and Montreal or Canadian in general (average temperatures) AND playing Football.

*** http://en.montrealalouettes.com/video/index/id/96417

Press Conference: Chad Johnson arrives at training camp

" Alouettes receiver Chad Johnson met the Montreal media for the first time on Wednesday on the campus of Bishop's University in Sherbrooke, QC. "

Posted : May 28, 2014

http://en.montrealalouettes.com/video/index/id/96417

ONE-on-ONE with Chad Johnson

We caught up with the newest member of the Alouettes, former Pro Bowl receiver Chad Johnson, to talk about his return to pro football, find out what he knows about Montreal, and get some tips on Twitter."

Posted : May 27, 2014

Chad Johnson works out with the Alouettes

Posted : April 17, 2014

Now the winter months and Montreal. Quebec,Canada is something else:

http://gocanada.about.com/od/quebe1/...al-Weather.htm
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 06-01-2014 at 08:22 AM.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Just Jeff was Just Joking. Read it again and think about it.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Just Jeff was Just Joking. Read it again and think about it.
    Just joking or not. Just Jeff's post is certainly worthy and debateable. Otherwise I personally have "no issue" with his post.

No that's not exactly the case and your response pbmax. What makes you so astute?

I would like to know "how" a person here can tell when a member is "just joking" or not!?

I qualified my response in terms of that "or just joking"; but on the whole the post appears serious.

If the post is "in fact" serious there is merit in it's claim in terms of Montreal and racism.

Black people that want to attract attention in Montreal or negative attention and the authorities happens. In Montreal the fact of racial profiling and the Montreal Police Dept. is a pertinent and real concern if not a valid huge issue. Montreal is a Cosmopolitan City and color and the population is a fact of life.

Sometimes the police don't handle things as best as they might. In many professions workers have good and bad days. There is plenty that causes the Police to have a bad shift.

I maintain that if your arrested for anything and you act like an idiot you might get the crap beat out of you by the police. That's not reserved just for BLACKS.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 06-01-2014 at 08:54 AM.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    I would like to know "how" a person here can tell when a member is "just joking" or not!?
    Because its a direct transfer of this discussion we had just one month ago. It also has nothing in the way of evidence or examples to tie the two together except Chad Johnson. And since Chad just signed with Montreal, I doubt he is using Chad as evidence of FA acquisition trouble by the Montreal club.

So on the one hand, a lot of off-hand assertions call back to a previous discussion possibility for amusement.

On the other hand, not much in the way of a serious assertion or evidence.

As always, I could be wrong. But I don't think so in this case.

I'm a very complex person with layers of personality, but on this one, I may have just been funning. It was a sarcastic post, similar to the ones that we see all too often about how GB can't possibly get FA to come here, because its so cold and white.

Because its a direct transfer of this discussion we had just one month ago. It also has nothing in the way of evidence or examples to tie the two together except Chad Johnson. And since Chad just signed with Montreal, I doubt he is using Chad as evidence of FA acquisition trouble by the Montreal club.

So on the one hand, a lot of off-hand assertions call back to a previous discussion possibility for amusement.

On the other hand, not much in the way of a serious assertion or evidence.

As always, I could be wrong. But I don't think so in this case.
    I obviously also did not draw the line to the previous discussion - I went and looked at it, I assume you're referring to the post by mraynrand, there's no reference to ochocinco.
    If it was a sarcastic post, I did get defensive and overreacted, but even reading it now, if it was sarcastic it was delivered Steven Wright like. It's probably not helped by the fact that I have trouble differentiating between Just Jeff and Rutnstrut who both seemed to become active at the same time.
    --

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    He scored a 27 on the wonderlic test so I don't think thats the problem. There have been rumors about him being a coke head which makes the most sense to me.
    When Freeman was with the Vikes and then didn't even suit up after a bit, the whole "insider" talk on the radio up here was that he wasn't picking up the offense and simply was bad. The injury talk was deemed as a coverup for his complete suckiness. He may have scored a 27 on the Wonderlic, but we all know there's book smart and there's football smart.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

I obviously also did not draw the line to the previous discussion - I went and looked at it, I assume you're referring to the post by mraynrand, there's no reference to ochocinco.
    If it was a sarcastic post, I did get defensive and overreacted, but even reading it now, if it was sarcastic it was delivered Steven Wright like. It's probably not helped by the fact that I have trouble differentiating between Just Jeff and Rutnstrut who both seemed to become active at the same time.
    Yeah, it can be hard to pick this stuff up on a message board, esp. when you don't know the history of the poster.

I simply remember him previously being jocular. To me, it read just like a post on that older thread even if its not a duplicate of any one post. Change Montreal to Green Bay, and it fits.

I also assume that any single line post is probably trying to get my goat, one way or another.

I commented on that story - said "notice he did not say he would prevent this from happening again". Also, iirc he was targeted by the vets for refusing to carry one of the vet WR's pads.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    smarts has nothing to do with it i think. i have a very high IQ (well pretty high anyways), yet in high school i could not learn or remember plays to save my life, no matter how many times we ran them or how many hours i studied them

all those x's and o's and lines just turned into big jumbles up messes once they got into my brain