Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Jordy Nelson wants extension done ' ASAP '.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    They will pay Jordy and he'll stay a Packer.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

I believe this to be the case. I think they'll wait on Cobb.

And probably wait on Finley until he's twisting in the wind and the usual two to three tight ends get hurt in camp.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    I don't see any potential for savings by signing him now. Why not take his last cheap year and address this with another year of insight?
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

"Him" being Nelson or Cobb? If you mean Cobb, I agree. If you mean Nelson, I don't agree - you know what you have with him, and you don't want to risk the Vikings luring him away with a huge contract and the promise of 1,000 acres of prime Minnesota farmland.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    "Him" being Nelson or Cobb? If you mean Cobb, I agree. If you mean Nelson, I don't agree - you know what you have with him, and you don't want to risk the Vikings luring him away with a huge contract and the promise of 1,000 acres of prime Minnesota farmland.
    Well, he is a farmboy.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    "Him" being Jordy. With Cobb there well could be savings because he's never been the best on his own team. He's shown enough to give everyone a boner but hasn't even had a 1,000 yard season yet. Because we already know exactly what Jordy is I feel his deal is less urgent. I don't really see him as a FA flight risk. Also a lot can change in a year so there is value in deferring the decision. We may not need to evaluate Jordy to pay him but he's not been immune to injury so why raise the stakes earlier than we need to?
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    "Him" being Jordy. With Cobb there well could be savings because he's never been the best on his own team. He's shown enough to give everyone a boner but hasn't even had a 1,000 yard season yet. Because we already know exactly what Jordy is I feel his deal is less urgent. I don't really see him as a FA flight risk. Also a lot can change in a year so there is value in deferring the decision. We may not need to evaluate Jordy to pay him but he's not been immune to injury so why raise the stakes earlier than we need to?
    Ah, the eternal debate. You're right about the injury possibility, of course, but the other side of the equation is that by waiting you'll pay more later or lose the guy. He seems loyal, but he's no dummy. It's a short career and there is no real loyalty on either side. It's a business. Maybe he'd like to play closer to home, in KC?

KYPack

He had 433 yards in 6 games last season, I think he was well on his way before the BS tackle from the rookie safety Elam.

It's done, 4 year 39 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    He had 433 yards in 6 games last season, I think he was well on his way before the BS tackle from the rookie safety Elam.
    It was pretty clear, at least to me, that ccobb was the #1 guy before the freak injury

I have no doubt he'll resume that role this year

I don't see any potential for savings by signing him now. Why not take his last cheap year and address this with another year of insight?
    Cap room if you want both Jordy and Randall.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    It was pretty clear, at least to me, that ccobb was the #1 guy before the freak injury

I have no doubt he'll resume that role this year
    I think Jordy is 1A and Cobb is 1B, based on last 2 seasons. Cobb is more dynamic and you can even run him out of the backfield, but Jordy has proven he can play all the WR spots at a high level.
    For all the talk about the 4th and 8 bomb to Cobb in Week17 against the Bears, it's easy to forget that Jordy was either getting double coverage or killing the CBs on stop routes -- including a tough clutch catch on 4th and 1 just before the Cobb TD.
    http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201312...7305&tab=recap

I think Cobb is a good player and worth keeping, but he is a smaller guy than Jordy and probably always going to fight injuries with the way he plays. If he's healthy for at least 12 games he'll have a good chance to crack 1000 yards -- Rodgers likes him and will throw to him a lot.

I like how there seems to be a theme in this thread that cobb is somehow injury prone and needs to "prove he can stay healthy". yet theres no talk about jordy needing to do that.

Cobb had one freak injury that cost most of last season. On a hit that would have injured any/every player. Other then that he missed one game his rookie year, and one game his second year

Jordy has had 4 seasons without missing a game. But his second year he missed 3 games and 2 seasons ago he missed 4

Im not sure how anyone can say cobb is anymore injury prone, or that he is injury prone at all

Does arod also now have to prove he's not injury prone?