Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
I agree with much of what vince said.

I'm thinking pass rush and injuries didn't help the secondary, but I wonder if Burnett was hurt (he missed the start of the season) or overcompensating for Jennings/McMillian.
I think he can play better than he did last year. I don't think he's a superstar, but he's good enough where he shouldn't be a weakspot. He has 14 picks in 3 years at GT, so he can be a ballhawk. Was Capers' scheme too vanilla and Burnett couldn't make plays?

I'm not sure how much HHCD will be able to bring as a rookie, rookie DBs tend to get picked on, and I'm sure he'll take his lumps. I do think if he made the calls for the Bama D he'll be able to pick up Capers scheme over the year.

Hyde's strengths (good tackler, decent coverage) and weaknesses (lack of top speed) play more to being a safety or hybrid role, and I think he will contribute, but I don't see him as a full-time safety this year.

Richardson is the wildcard to me. Who and what is he? I think he's a big guy who can play in the box and let Burnett play deep (Burnett's combine was clearly better than HHCD's), but if he can show the ability to cover and grasp the scheme he could be starting Game 1 and holding it down until HHCD takes over in Game 6 while providing depth and ST coverage.

I think Banjo is a ST guy who could surprise, but I'm skeptical he beats out any of the above.
I agree, Burnett might not have been 100% last year and having Jennings and McMillan did him no favors. IMO our safety play will be improved by just replacing these 2 with Hyde and Ha Ha - addition by subtraction.