Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Did Safety become a strength?

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Burnett will certainly be one to watch this year. I don't know what to expect, but I hope he responds with a bounce back year. He needs to.

How often did the Packers lose the down and distance battle last year on defense? Can't stop the run consistently? 2nd or 3rd and short is a whole different ball of wax vs. more favorable down and distances for the defense. It's much easier for DB's to cover if the front seven can stop the run, create more favorable down and distances, perhaps a third and long (a fan can dream) every once in a while, and then a pass rush that can get home or knock the QB off their launch point, or move his feet. Burnett was bringing a knife to a gun fight some weeks. He's not Ronnie Lott, but he's better than he played last year.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Absent injury, Burnett will be starting and will be what he has been, an OK starter. If he had come up with two or three interceptions last year, but was identical on all other plays, he wouldn't be an issue this off season. Two or three plays don't change him from an OK starter to a liability.

The entire team sucked at interceptions last year. Burnett's part in it is being overblown.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    This is sooooo much like the center discussions. HaHa hasn't played a down yet and what we have returning has been less than impressive. I'm a fan too, but let someone play a down before anointing them HOF
    Thus the question mark. I am not declaring the position a strength, I am simply saying on paper we might be worlds better than last year for all the reasons I laid out. What we have returning (as I stated already) are 2 second year guys who could make "the jump" and a guy who had his worst year as a pro and MAY return to form. I think its a valid discussion point.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Thus the question mark. I am not declaring the position a strength, I am simply saying on paper we might be worlds better than last year for all the reasons I laid out. What we have returning (as I stated already) are 2 second year guys who could make "the jump" and a guy who had his worst year as a pro and MAY return to form. I think its a valid discussion point.
    Don't get me wrong. I'm all over the HaHa pick. I think and I hope its a home run. Its the other guy I'm worried about.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Absent injury, Burnett will be starting and will be what he has been, an OK starter. If he had come up with two or three interceptions last year, but was identical on all other plays, he wouldn't be an issue this off season. Two or three plays don't change him from an OK starter to a liability.

The entire team sucked at interceptions last year. Burnett's part in it is being overblown.
    I felt that Morgan Burnett tackled and played well in 2011 and 2012.

I'm hoping that 2013 was simply an off year and the non supporting cast at the Safety position brought him down.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Don't get me wrong. I'm all over the HaHa pick. I think and I hope its a home run. Its the other guy I'm worried about.
    we got 3 shots at the other guy panning out....and almost no way it can be worse than MD Jennings and McMillan. If 2 of them pan out, I can call the position a strength, but of course we are assuming haha will be good.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    I agree with much of what vince said.

I'm thinking pass rush and injuries didn't help the secondary, but I wonder if Burnett was hurt (he missed the start of the season) or overcompensating for Jennings/McMillian.
    I think he can play better than he did last year. I don't think he's a superstar, but he's good enough where he shouldn't be a weakspot. He has 14 picks in 3 years at GT, so he can be a ballhawk. Was Capers' scheme too vanilla and Burnett couldn't make plays?

I'm not sure how much HHCD will be able to bring as a rookie, rookie DBs tend to get picked on, and I'm sure he'll take his lumps. I do think if he made the calls for the Bama D he'll be able to pick up Capers scheme over the year.

Hyde's strengths (good tackler, decent coverage) and weaknesses (lack of top speed) play more to being a safety or hybrid role, and I think he will contribute, but I don't see him as a full-time safety this year.

Richardson is the wildcard to me. Who and what is he? I think he's a big guy who can play in the box and let Burnett play deep (Burnett's combine was clearly better than HHCD's), but if he can show the ability to cover and grasp the scheme he could be starting Game 1 and holding it down until HHCD takes over in Game 6 while providing depth and ST coverage.

I think Banjo is a ST guy who could surprise, but I'm skeptical he beats out any of the above.
    I agree, Burnett might not have been 100% last year and having Jennings and McMillan did him no favors. IMO our safety play will be improved by just replacing these 2 with Hyde and Ha Ha - addition by subtraction.

Blog Entries
    I'll settle for average. I also won't put an ounce of value in Richardson until I see him accomplish something in a game.
    With that being said, I think Burnett has the ability to be decent, HaHa can be decent, and perhapy even Hyde there.
    Adding a vet with some leadership still IMO would have been wise
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by pittstang5 View Post
    IMO, Burnett is a follower, not a leader. Burnett only played good when he had Collins next to him. Hell, Collins made Charlie Peprah look good. The sooner they get rid of Burnett, the better.
    Perhaps you will prove to be right about Burnett not being a leader. However, the idea that Burnett only played well when he was next to Collins is a myth. Due to injuries, Burnett and Collins only played together for 4 games in 2010 and 2 games in 2011. When Burnett had his best season in 2012, Collins was no longer playing.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Perhaps you will prove to be right about Burnett not being a leader. However, the idea that Burnett only played well when he was next to Collins is a myth. Due to injuries, Burnett and Collins only played together for 4 games in 2010 and 2 games in 2011. When Burnett had his best season in 2012, Collins was no longer playing.
    Then those six games were probably Burnett's best games.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Ooh - good one!

--
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Ooh - good one!

The Patler Stamp!

When was the last time that was used?
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

So, I am sipping the kool aid after reading about Richardson and Hyde making plays, looking good. The problem is that I haven't' read much about Burnett or HaHa making plays or looking good.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Well at least they are practicing against one of the best aerial attack in the NFL.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    Well at least they are practicing against the best aerial attack in the NFL.
    FIFY

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    So, I am sipping the kool aid after reading about Richardson and Hyde making plays, looking good. The problem is that I haven't' read much about Burnett or HaHa making plays or looking good.
    They've mentioned HaHa a few times, both good and bad. I can't remember anything being written about Brunett. I still think he will start, not because of the contract but because safety is one of the spots where experience is more critical than raw talent. After 3 years Woodson is saying he finally feels like a safety, so we need someone with a few years under his belt calling the plays in the backfield.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    I'll settle for average. I also won't put an ounce of value in Richardson until I see him accomplish something in a game.
    With that being said, I think Burnett has the ability to be decent, HaHa can be decent, and perhapy even Hyde there.
    Adding a vet with some leadership still IMO would have been wise
    I agree to a large extent. I think Hyde will be the steady eddy we need there. HaHa probably will be better than Hyde with some NFL experience. Richardson is the wildcard, wildly talented with a skillset the other 2 can only dream of, but also the most likely to never become an NFL starter while at the same time the most likely to be the next Nick Collins.

edit: Although i think Hyde and HaHa are entirely different types of talents. They actually match up together more than they should compete. I still see Burnett as the most rounded in his game, but inferior to all 3 of the others in their areas of strength.