Thread: Did Safety become a strength?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    i don't know if it is a strength yet. the guys are young, it might take time

the key at this point, IMO, is getting burnett out of the starting lineup. maybe its hyde, maybe its richardson, but one of those two taking over for burnett along side HaCD, could turn that unit from a complete joke into a solid unit

if burnett stays, i would say the unit would still be suspect

and of course it all depends on HaCD living up to his potential
    HaHa and a recovered and "less green" Richardson will help.
    Safety play was fugly last season. For interceptions by Safeties, '14 was the lowest total in team history - Zero safety picks.

That's recorded history, maybe some team was worse than that before '32, but since they started keeping track, 14 was our worst season by safety combos.

Burnett is a culprit, but he had his moments. 96 tackles 60 solos. No picks, no passes defended (that has to be in error, he had a spectacular PD vs the Bears when we needed one)

Burnett has some great physical talent. Maybe HaHa and or Richardson can be the other guy and improve this very sorry unit.

Morgan playing at a much higher level is a great asset for the D. He must get better reads and use that athletic talent to make plays. He also needs to be a leader, get these kids lined up and show 'em the way. I definitely think we need him on the field if we are to be a top flight back line.

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    HaHa and a recovered and "less green" Richardson will help.
    Safety play was fugly last season. For interceptions by Safeties, '14 was the lowest total in team history - Zero safety picks.

That's recorded history, maybe some team was worse than that before '32, but since they started keeping track, 14 was our worst season by safety combos.

Burnett is a culprit, but he had his moments. 96 tackles 60 solos. No picks, no passes defended (that has to be in error, he had a spectacular PD vs the Bears when we needed one)

Burnett has some great physical talent. Maybe HaHa and or Richardson can be the other guy and improve this very sorry unit.

Morgan playing at a much higher level is a great asset for the D. He must get better reads and use that athletic talent to make plays. He also needs to be a leader, get these kids lined up and show 'em the way. I definitely think we need him on the field if we are to be a top flight back line.
    I think it was M.D. Jennings who had 0 passes defended.

Jennings was a bad player. Burnett is, I think, a pretty good player who had a bad year. I think there's a pretty good chance he bounces back.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I think it was M.D. Jennings who had 0 passes defended.

Jennings was a bad player. Burnett is, I think, a pretty good player who had a bad year. I think there's a pretty good chance he bounces back.
    I looked at the wrong column.

Burnett had 6 passes defended.

ESPN stats had MD (Doc) Jennings with a pass defended.

Jerron McMillan also had one PD before they cut him.

None of em had a pick, I double checked (apologies to ARod).

The collapse of our two young safeties was one of the real disappointments of 13 season (not 14 like I posted).