Thread: Official 2014 Packers Training Camp Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    McCarthy has been doing almost everything Kelly is noted as doing for several years, including the GPS tracking of player movements during camp and practice.

The one new thing is the sports nutrition guy they officially hired this year. One observable change has been those energy bars they are handing out in practice. While the Eagles had that position filled last year, they got rid of fast food in the locker room. Johnny Jolly was having the rookies by KFC on Tuesdays.

As Brown covers in his piece, even if someone like the Packers started mimicking him, they might still be behind in interpreting the data from the GPS/Australian Rules football training protocols. We'll see.
    When did MM start with the GPS stuf? I thought it was just this off season?

The article made a somewhat big deal of Kelly using his center to pull. Mike Sherman did that a lot with Flanagan. Some say Dermonti Dawson was the first center who pulled regularly. I don't know if that is true or not, but it certainly isn't a Kelly innovation.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    When did MM start with the GPS stuf? I thought it was just this off season?

The article made a somewhat big deal of Kelly using his center to pull. Mike Sherman did that a lot with Flanagan. Some say Dermonti Dawson was the first center who pulled regularly. I don't know if that is true or not, but it certainly isn't a Kelly innovation.
    Reports of the new system that went into full effect this year indicated that the Packers had been using GPS for a couple of years. Not sure if it was an experiment, or different provider, but it was clear they had more than one year of data.

The story about the nutrition guy was along the same lines. The reporters knew the guy was working for the Packers, but the announcement came well after he started his job according to the beat guys.

The center pulling isn't new, but the center pulling with a Guard is a bit weird. It leaves a huge gap to penetrate through if you get bad D alignment matchup.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.