Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23

Thread: Official 2014 Packers Training Camp Thread

Tyler Dunne
    @TyDunne
    So even though it looks like Rodgers won't play, new center Corey Linsley will. Snapping to Flynn right now. Adams/Boykin/Gillett at WR.
    Aug. 27, 2014
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Lyerla is done in GB methinks. It was probably Lyerla that wanted out. He probably just really wants to try and play this year.

TT said this at the presser:
    On if he wants Colt Lyerla back... I don't know. Reached an injury settlement with Colt and he's a free agent. We'll see.
    Which is TT speak for "No, he's not good enough". The comments about possibly switching Colt to FB makes it sound like they had some serious issues with him at TE, most likely given the reports of drops it is his hands.

I doubt Colt pushed for the settlement. 8 weeks on IR is $150K for him. TT probably said if he forces the full year on IR, TT will put word out and Colt won't even get a sniff from any team in the future.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    TT said this at the presser:

Which is TT speak for "No, he's not good enough". The comments about possibly switching Colt to FB makes it sound like they had some serious issues with him at TE, most likely given the reports of drops it is his hands.

I doubt Colt pushed for the settlement. 8 weeks on IR is $150K for him. TT probably said if he forces the full year on IR, TT will put word out and Colt won't even get a sniff from any team in the future.
    I really doubt that's the way things work, but I don't really have a better explanation either. It will be a damn shame if Lyerla catches on with some other team and becomes a decent player - that we could have had for a mere additional $150,000.

I could also see a bad end for the player here too. Instead of being in a healthy and controlled environment with the Packers, he is out there on his own, a history of drug abuse, and $150,000 to feed his habit.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I really doubt that's the way things work, but I don't really have a better explanation either. It will be a damn shame if Lyerla catches on with some other team and becomes a decent player - that we could have had for a mere additional $150,000.

I could also see a bad end for the player here too. Instead of being in a healthy and controlled environment with the Packers, he is out there on his own, a history of drug abuse, and $150,000 to feed his habit.
    I may well be overstating the pressure TT put on Colt and his agent to take the settlement. I really think that TT is done with Colt, first with putting him through wavers instead of straight to IR, then the settlement and finally his comment, it all adds up to not being interested in keeping Colt. Sure, this could be a big mistake and the guy could wind up being a good one. That happens, but this is a business and if you don't see a future for a player, get rid of him as soon and as cheaply as possible. TT decided that the rights to Colt were not worth an additional $150K.

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    It sounds to me like they are done with Lyerla. He can't return to the team until 6 weeks after the injury settlement, which would be Week 14. However he can sign with any team or practice squad after Week 8 besides us.

If we really wanted him, I believe we would have kept him on IR. It's always possible he didn't want to be on IR and requested the settlement.
    A lot of tea leaf reading going on here. It's all speculation, of course.

But based on what TT has said (which he never tips his hand, so it's pointless to "translate" what he says) and what the agent has said (again, could have an ulterior motive), GB remains interested in Colt, but likely only if the next four months go well when Colt is independent.

I get the impression through the few agent tweets I read that both Colt and the agent are grateful for the Packers to take a chance on him, have a good relationship with the Packers, and both are more interested in getting Colt back to the Packers later than to another team.

Of course, it's all speculation, of course.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 3h
    The offensive line for Matt Flynn tomorrow looking like Sherrod, Taylor, Linsley, Gerhart, Adams left to right.

Going to need to be on Sherrod watch early tomorrow.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I may well be overstating the pressure TT put on Colt and his agent to take the settlement. I really think that TT is done with Colt, first with putting him through wavers instead of straight to IR, then the settlement and finally his comment, it all adds up to not being interested in keeping Colt. Sure, this could be a big mistake and the guy could wind up being a good one. That happens, but this is a business and if you don't see a future for a player, get rid of him as soon and as cheaply as possible. TT decided that the rights to Colt were not worth an additional $150K.
    I think you are misreading the comments. Lyerla will be/is a free agent. TT isn't going to send out a signal to other teams that he wants him back eventually...not fair to the packers or the player to do that. He simply stated a fact. Free agent. We will reassess later if he isn't already with another team.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 3h
    Former #Packers C Greg Van Roten is cut by Seattle.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I think you are misreading the comments. Lyerla will be/is a free agent. TT isn't going to send out a signal to other teams that he wants him back eventually...not fair to the packers or the player to do that. He simply stated a fact. Free agent. We will reassess later if he isn't already with another team.
    If it were just the quotes, then maybe. However the actions speak louder than the words and the actions say that the Packers are done with Colt.

If it were just the quotes, then maybe. However the actions speak louder than the words and the actions say that the Packers are done with Colt.
    I disagree. I think the actions say he wasn't worth IRing for an entire season. I believe that if he is available when the time comes he MIGHT be on our PS.

EDIT: Just my 2 cents worth, which is now my nickels worth.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I disagree. I think the actions say he wasn't worth IRing for an entire season. I believe that if he is available when the time comes he MIGHT be on our PS.

EDIT: Just my 2 cents worth, which is now my nickels worth.
    Nice call bobble. I'd say the two most likely possibilities are that you're indeed right about the Packers wanting to get him a chance to get on the field this year...or the other possibility might be that he hasn't kept up his end of the bargain off the field.

A guy like him only needs to show up with a hangover once or twice to raise some serious questions. Our exclusive insider report of him driving around in the souped-up Charger with shaded windows, bumpin' tunes and shady buddies might raise even more.

I have a hard time seeing the third possibility that they just don't think he can play - even with his less than stellar start. He was rusty but I think there's little chance the scouting department doesn't think this guy has the talent to try to develop.

Anybody else catch Rodgers and Flynn rocking the Canadian tuxedos yesterday?

Go PACK