Thread: an idea for improving ILB

an idea for improving ILB

the bears once took a former safety and turned him into one of the best ILB's of all time

i give you Sean Richardson

tall, athletic, physical, and a guy who has starting potential but plays at a position where he won't be starting.

now, before anyone blows a nut. he's only about 20 pounds lighter then brad jones

thoughts? could he add some weight and make the move?

Sounds good to me, of course I would take anyone over Jones.

I would rather they draft guys who played ILB or MLB in college instead of moving guys from other positions.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I would rather they draft guys who played ILB or MLB in college instead of moving guys from other positions.
    I agree

However, when they drafted Bradford, I instantly thought he'd be an ILB. He still might be since hes shown nothing at OLB.

Sorry Red, I don't like making Richardson into a ILB. I'm in the minority, but I'd rather him (Richardson) start over Burnett at Safety.

I was actually excited about that Joe Thomas guy. Of course he's injured now..thats usually how it works on this team. Maybe when Brett comes back next July he can address the team on how to avoid getting injured and how sometimes its okay to be a man and play with a little pain....Which reminds me good for you Tramon Williams.
    Draft Brandin Cooks WR OSU!

I like the idea of Richardson at ILB. I doubt it will ever happen, but who knows.

No way Richardson should be a starting Safety. The much maligned Burnett is what we need - somebody who can cover. Richardson gets style points for hard hits, but that's not what wins games. His coverage skills might be passable, though, as an ILB.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    he's only about 20 pounds lighter then brad jones
    20 pounds for a couch potato ain't much, as you know. For athletes with 8% body fat, it's a different position group

Bears currently have a LB named Telvin Smith from Florida State who is more lean than Richardson. It's the way the league is trending.

I doubt it will ever happen, but the instincts a SS needs and those an ILB need probably aren't too far off from one another.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    I'd bet moving Richardson wouldn't be an overnight move but something they'd ease into like an old man into a hot bath.

In the past they've blurred all those lines. Chillar has played safety in certain looks, Woodson has played linebacker at times, once in a while we've seen a 4-4 split type formation with a safety at the Sam linebacker position. I could definitely see Richardson making it onto the field in those kinds of roles and eventually stealing snaps from our ILB in passing situations even without bulking up. If he outperforms our guys its easy enough to bring him in next year at 230 and expand his roles even more.
    Last edited by 3irty1; 08-25-2014 at 11:19 AM.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Blog Entries
    I can't see him as an ILB in base. They are doing something like that in the sub packages. He's gotten pretty good at coming down from a lurk position in the specials. if he continues to progress in that role, I'm happy

Carl Bradford got his first look at ILB today. http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/272618671.html
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Bout fricken time. Should have been there day one imo

Richardson is unbelievably athletic for someone his size. Wish he had better instincts. My prediction is that an injury gives him playing time and he impresses.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

LMAO...I needed that laugh this morning.

BTW Urlacher played MLB in a cover 2...not ILB in a 3-4.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    Bout fricken time. Should have been there day one imo
    GMTA

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Carl Bradford got his first look at ILB today. http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/272618671.html
    Carl Bradford: This year's Rickey Elmore.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Carl Bradford: This year's Rickey Elmore.
    You know how Ted says he has people in the draft room that you sometimes just have to take guys who play football well and not worry so much about measurables?

Maybe he should stop listening.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

You have to just get lucky... finding a balance between the two leaves you with a roster full of average players.