Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2014 Packers Training Camp Thread

250 lbs+ is not supposed to be that high in the air without wings or a rotor.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    He has cleared waivers and is still a Packer. I suppose it won't help him to be on IR becaue he can't practice but he will still be around for meetings and can observe practices. Now that I've thought about it it kinda says a lot that we cut him the way we did. If we didn't think he had anything worth developing I wonder if we would have just cut him outright.
    It does say a lot, but not in the way you think. From the JS posts it sound like Colt's injury was significant enough that they would have trouble reaching an injury settlement, with Colt's people arguing for a full year of IR. So the Packers were pretty much on the hook for the 300K for the year. So the next question is why waive Colt now instead of waiting a few days and just putting him directly on IR? One possible reason is that they needed the roster spot due to Bostic's injury. However given how soon cut downs are coming and the limited number of practices before the next game, that seems dubious. We'll know for certain if they have a new person in camp today. The other reason would be that they are not all that thrilled with Colt and hoped that another team would pay his IR salary for this year. Didn't happen, so he's on IR and the Packers can look at him again next year.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Casey Hayward held out of practice again today. I hope this isn't his hamstring flaring up again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    Casey Hayward held out of practice again today. I hope this isn't his hamstring flaring up again.
    Shit.

That kid is essential to our sub packages.

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    It does say a lot, but not in the way you think. From the JS posts it sound like Colt's injury was significant enough that they would have trouble reaching an injury settlement, with Colt's people arguing for a full year of IR. So the Packers were pretty much on the hook for the 300K for the year. So the next question is why waive Colt now instead of waiting a few days and just putting him directly on IR? One possible reason is that they needed the roster spot due to Bostic's injury. However given how soon cut downs are coming and the limited number of practices before the next game, that seems dubious. We'll know for certain if they have a new person in camp today. The other reason would be that they are not all that thrilled with Colt and hoped that another team would pay his IR salary for this year. Didn't happen, so he's on IR and the Packers can look at him again next year.
    If they were not thrilled with Colt why didn't they just outright cut him or give him an injury settlement and called it a day instead of waive/injured knowing he'd go on IR if he was unclaimed?

Tyler Dunne
    @TyDunne
    Nate Palmer and Andy Mulumba are still on first special teams units, a telling sign this point of camp.
    Does this mean Bradford's spot in jeopardy?
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Does this mean Bradford's spot in jeopardy?

Tyler Dunne
    ‏@TyDunne
    Carl Bradford playing a bunch this practice. Guessing he gets a long look tomorrow. Big week for the fourth-round pick.

Sounds like it's time to step up.

$300,000 is chump change for an NFL team. If he was good enough to take a chance on this season, paying that small amount is certainly worthwhile to see what he can do next season. They need to make sure he keeps his nose clean and hopefully reports in football shape next off-season. For now, his injury is a slight blessing, as it makes cut decisions less difficult.

Vic stated that waived/injured and reverting to IR means that the player doesn't count against the team's in-season 90 man limit. If you stash him directly to IR, they do count.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    $300,000 is chump change for an NFL team. If he was good enough to take a chance on this season, paying that small amount is certainly worthwhile to see what he can do next season. They need to make sure he keeps his nose clean and hopefully reports in football shape next off-season. For now, his injury is a slight blessing, as it makes cut decisions less difficult.
    It may be chump change, but if you find a way to save $300K, you try to do so. I think the Packers were dubious about keeping him and figured if someone else wanted to pay him the 300K for being on IR, let them. Personally I'd agree with you that if they get him healthy, build him back into proper football shape and get his brain NFL ready in the meetings he will attend, then things can turn out well for the Packers. The misguided leap shows he has some athletic ability, so I'm for having another look next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Vic stated that waived/injured and reverting to IR means that the player doesn't count against the team's in-season 90 man limit. If you stash him directly to IR, they do count.
    During the season it won't be much of an issue, how many times have they ever been even close. Not even the packers have 27 on IR. Now it can be an issue, but they didn't add a guy.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

do you want to give him a vested year to sit on IR though? We are developing him, which means that it will take a bit to get some return. If he blossoms just in time to get paid, its a waste of time. I think they put him on practice squad and don't let him get that cheap year on the books doing nothing.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

I read two points across the web:

1. NFL rules prohibit teams from releasing a player without an injury settlement. The Packers then would have to wait six weeks after the settlement expired to bring him back.
    2. They did the same thing with Kevin Dorsey last year, so it's not that uncommon.

If I recall correctly, you can IR a player outright only after cutting down to 65.

Quote Originally Posted by QBME View Post
    Tyler Dunne
    ‏@TyDunne
    Carl Bradford playing a bunch this practice. Guessing he gets a long look tomorrow. Big week for the fourth-round pick.

Sounds like it's time to step up.

It's been weird, these newbie draft picks. Kylie Thornton sounds like a long-term project, and unless the Pack keeps seven d-linemen, either he or Pennel will probably have to go. Bradford has been very "meh," Janis has been a pleasant surprise, the kid who used to play point guard (Goodson) sounds promising but raw, and of course Rodgers will stay, as will Linsley, Adams, and Clittin'-Dix.

Would the Pack cut a third and a fourth rounder? That'd be weird. I'd say Thornton has shown more promise. Bradford seems to be, so far, a JAG.

As for the OLB's, I don't see why Nate Palmer is going to be around. He's been like Caspar the Friendly Ghost - invisible - as far as I can tell. I think the writers are generating the Nick Perry controversy. He's better than Mulumba, I think, so why not keep him around to see what he can do this year? It's not like Julius Peppers is going to play here for four or five years, and Neal is on, what, a two year deal?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Bostick has slight fracture of fibula. Likely to miss opener. http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...272256301.html
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Don't be sorry. Was just my opinion. I am surprised that they thought someone would actually poach him.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Totally agree TPB. It's low risk, possible high reward. If he was still acting up now, or does so between now and next TC, cut him. If he keeps his act together, gets in the class room/weight room and stays out of his own way, he could meet his potential, and that's a good thing.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    It's been weird, these newbie draft picks. Kylie Thornton sounds like a long-term project, and unless the Pack keeps seven d-linemen, either he or Pennel will probably have to go. Bradford has been very "meh," Janis has been a pleasant surprise, the kid who used to play point guard (Goodson) sounds promising but raw, and of course Rodgers will stay, as will Linsley, Adams, and Clittin'-Dix.

Would the Pack cut a third and a fourth rounder? That'd be weird. I'd say Thornton has shown more promise. Bradford seems to be, so far, a JAG.

As for the OLB's, I don't see why Nate Palmer is going to be around. He's been like Caspar the Friendly Ghost - invisible - as far as I can tell. I think the writers are generating the Nick Perry controversy. He's better than Mulumba, I think, so why not keep him around to see what he can do this year? It's not like Julius Peppers is going to play here for four or five years, and Neal is on, what, a two year deal?
    Cory Rogers would be the precedent -- IIRC he was a R4 pick that didn't make the cut. Like you, I haven't heard a lot about Palmer and I figured he was likely gone, but if he's on the top teams units that changes things, and probably means they will go thinner at another position, say ILB or TE. I don't see them cutting Perry, he is a better athlete but hasn't been as healthy as Mulumba. When Perry has been healthy he's flashed, his contract isn't onerous and he'll be a situational player. I think he's worth keeping but don't think he's the long term answer at OLB opposite Clay. I think all this means Bradford has to step up big time or he's gone. It's a numbers game and there are other players who have played better at OLB thus far.

With his size and production to date I'd think Bradford will probably not get claimed by another team and GB might be able to sign him to the PS. I'm with many here who think Bradford might be better at ILB, but that's a big switch from college DE. Kind of a weird pick by TT.

Thornton is another pick that people wondered about. Pennel has shown more and they won't be able to sneak him onto the PS, Boyd is a year ahead, and Datone, Raji and Daniels are your starters. Trading Worthy helps, but I think they'd like to keep him and have Trgovac develop him.

Don't know that Goodson makes it, even if he's a draft pick. Seems like they like Rolle and I think they are both competing for a CB spot that doesn't exist on the 53.

This is a deep team that if healthy is a legitimate contender. Not a lot of spots up for grabs.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    do you want to give him a vested year to sit on IR though? We are developing him, which means that it will take a bit to get some return. If he blossoms just in time to get paid, its a waste of time. I think they put him on practice squad and don't let him get that cheap year on the books doing nothing.
    I agree, but it's the lesser of the two evils - the other being the risk of losing him if we try to stash him on the practice squad and somebody else grabs him.

Thornton isn't going anywhere. I think he's shown more in the games than the group think amongst the writers.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson