Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2014 Packers Training Camp Thread

Boyd has ribs. Hopefully he had the good sense to use Bobby Seale's cookbook.

Shoulda gone to yoga.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    It's called Packer Leg. He will sit out the next 2 weeks of camp, come back and try to play the last preseason game, re-injure the leg and miss the first month of the season.

Either that, or he will practice on Thursday.

QFT

OR this will linger all freakin year.

It's the curse of signing a big contract. See Rodgers and Mathews last year.

Quote Originally Posted by pittstang5 View Post
    QFT

OR this will linger all freakin year.

It's the curse of signing a big contract. See Rodgers and Mathews last year.
    And Burnett. On 2nd thought, maybe we shouldn't extend Cobb.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Carl Bradford received little playing time in the Tennessee game. He wasn't overly impressive in the snaps he did get. A lot of people think he'd be better on the inside--including some scouts in the article.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...270847151.html

I just wonder if they are waiting too long to make the move. I felt the same way about Micah Hyde last year. I see his position being ILB in the NFL. I think long term he could compete with Lattimore or Barrington as a replacement for Hawk or Jones inside.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Carl Bradford received little playing time in the Tennessee game. He wasn't overly impressive in the snaps he did get. A lot of people think he'd be better on the inside--including some scouts in the article.

I just wonder if they are waiting too long to make the move. I felt the same way about Micah Hyde last year. I see his position being ILB in the NFL. I think long term he could compete with Lattimore or Barrington as a replacement for Hawk or Jones inside.
    I don't think it's too surprising given his lack of experience standing up that going into the first preseason game he's behind the 2nd year guys who both saw a fair amount of action last year. He's got to bide his time, learn new techniques and earn opportunities.

I'm also not sure he has the range to cover on the inside. He's probably slower than Hodge was, who was a step slow inside. I think he'll be fine but it may take some time for the conversion. Eventually you'll be able to hide him out in the flat in coverage once in a while but you want that guy on the other side of the line of scrimmage chasing the QB more often than chasing guys in the slot downfield.

When Bradford was drafted, I immediately thought he was drafted for the inside. All reports from the coaches stated he was going to be an OLB, which left me scratching my head. Maybe this will turn out to be like Brad Jones - start at OLB, then move to ILB.

I think everyone thought he was targeted to inside given the scouting reports and team needs. But as I recall, the guys in charge saw him as a pass rusher.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I think everyone thought he was targeted to inside given the scouting reports and team needs. But as I recall, the guys in charge saw him as a pass rusher.
    I'd think you'd want to give anyone who was college passrusher with a 37.5" vertical a thorough evaluation rushing the passer before moving on to plan B.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

I can't get too excited about how much or how little a rookie plays in the first preseason game, especially one who is changing positions and has a lot of vets to beat out.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    I'm also not sure he has the range to cover on the inside. He's probably slower than Hodge was, who was a step slow inside. I think he'll be fine but it may take some time for the conversion. Eventually you'll be able to hide him out in the flat in coverage once in a while but you want that guy on the other side of the line of scrimmage chasing the QB more often than chasing guys in the slot downfield.
    He's a bit faster than Hodge. Bradford timed at 4.71 at the combine. Hodge timed at 4.76. Speed isn't the only thing. Desmond Bishop ran 4.81. Physically, outside of a bit faster 40 time his measurables are nearly identical to Sam Barrington. In converse, you could say Bradford doesn't have the necessary length to play OLB in a 3-4. 6'1" is decent size for a 3-4 ILB but short for a 3-4 OLB. It was a small sample size, but his 8 snaps vs. Tennessee were not good. He got no pressure in 1v1 situations. I've also read that he's struggled in pass rush drills. I think his best attributes are similar to what Bishop brought to the table.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...arks/13934233/

After watching the film, McCarthy said he was impressed by what he saw from a number of young players, including center Garth Gerhart, safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, inside linebackers Joe Thomas and Sam Barrington, and the first- and second-team secondary.
    Those names in addition to praising Tretter and Sherrod.

Blog Entries
    He's a bit faster than Hodge. Bradford timed at 4.71 at the combine. Hodge timed at 4.76. Speed isn't the only thing. Desmond Bishop ran 4.81. Physically, outside of a bit faster 40 time his measurables are nearly identical to Sam Barrington. In converse, you could say Bradford doesn't have the necessary length to play OLB in a 3-4. 6'1" is decent size for a 3-4 ILB but short for a 3-4 OLB. It was a small sample size, but his 8 snaps vs. Tennessee were not good. He got no pressure in 1v1 situations. I've also read that he's struggled in pass rush drills. I think his best attributes are similar to what Bishop brought to the table.
    Well if he can't rush the passer then there's no loss in trying him out inside but I can see why they want him to start out outside. I thought I read about him winning a few one on ones and blowing up a few plays in camp. I'll go back and see if I can dig anything up. I think he has short arms though which may be a problem if he can't keep tackles from getting their hands on him.

Nelson practiced, in limited fashion, today.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 43m
    Out for #Packers were Adams, R. Neal, Lyerla, Joe Thomas, Barclay, Abbrederis, Guion and Worthy. Tanner Miller returned, had nice PBU.

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 37m
    MM: I think Jeff Janis has made a play every day he's been out there. He looks good. Hopefully we can get him cleared for Saturday night

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 36m
    MM on Adams: I'm told it's not a long term issue

Janis did have a drop. It's the first I remember. White had another drop after dropping two yesterday. He may be playing himself off the roster--especially with guys like Neal and Rolle making pushes at other positions.

Janis did have a drop. It's the first I remember. White had another drop after dropping two yesterday. He may be playing himself off the roster--especially with guys like Neal and Rolle making pushes at other positions.
    White has never been good to begin with, I don't know what you ever saw in him. Janis did have a drop in the 2 minute drill I heard but that is the first negative comment I've heard about him. He also took snaps today at punt returner so hopefully we'll see him in the game later this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    White has never been good to begin with, I don't know what you ever saw in him. Janis did have a drop in the 2 minute drill I heard but that is the first negative comment I've heard about him. He also took snaps today at punt returner so hopefully we'll see him in the game later this week.
    Now that is a punt returner I am excited about. Size and speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    White has some things to like about him. With some added strength and the loss of Abby (a slot guy) I thought he had the best chance of group fighting for a spot. But he's not good enough to overcome drops every practice. I wouldn't write him off, but I'm beginning to think they'll keep 5 (with Janis). Of the rest I think I like the potential of Kevin Dorsey the most. For a guy they just signed Sheppard didn't look half bad either.

About the time I got down on a guy I read an article like this (I missed it from earlier in the week). The writer speculates that the 5th spot will come down to Myles White vs. Kevin Dorsey. Of course, that was before White started dropping balls and Janis started making plays every day.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...spot/13803211/

The 40 is so overrated. Bishop was about .5 seconds faster diagnosing things than most ILB, so his effective 40 time was 4.31...dude flew.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.