Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2014 Packers Training Camp Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    Yeah I'm betting MM was going on more than just those 2 assignments.
    He only played like 3 snaps!!
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Please read this article (smart football at Grantland-Chris Brown), paying particular attention not to the LeSean McCoy sweep that gashed the Packers in gif form, but the practice organization.

And tell me who else we know that runs his practices that way.

http://grantland.com/features/chip-k...nfl-influence/
    Not good. Chip is likely to get assassinated when the NFL can't get enough commercials in. Seriously though...call me when he starts going for it on 90% of 4th downs.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Report Lyerla has torn MCL and PCL. Or to simplify things, he has a knee. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...s-torn-mcl-pcl
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

McCarthy has been doing almost everything Kelly is noted as doing for several years, including the GPS tracking of player movements during camp and practice.

The one new thing is the sports nutrition guy they officially hired this year. One observable change has been those energy bars they are handing out in practice. While the Eagles had that position filled last year, they got rid of fast food in the locker room. Johnny Jolly was having the rookies by KFC on Tuesdays.

As Brown covers in his piece, even if someone like the Packers started mimicking him, they might still be behind in interpreting the data from the GPS/Australian Rules football training protocols. We'll see.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

McCarthy has been doing almost everything Kelly is noted as doing for several years, including the GPS tracking of player movements during camp and practice.

The one new thing is the sports nutrition guy they officially hired this year. One observable change has been those energy bars they are handing out in practice. While the Eagles had that position filled last year, they got rid of fast food in the locker room. Johnny Jolly was having the rookies by KFC on Tuesdays.

As Brown covers in his piece, even if someone like the Packers started mimicking him, they might still be behind in interpreting the data from the GPS/Australian Rules football training protocols. We'll see.
    When did MM start with the GPS stuf? I thought it was just this off season?

The article made a somewhat big deal of Kelly using his center to pull. Mike Sherman did that a lot with Flanagan. Some say Dermonti Dawson was the first center who pulled regularly. I don't know if that is true or not, but it certainly isn't a Kelly innovation.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    When did MM start with the GPS stuf? I thought it was just this off season?

The article made a somewhat big deal of Kelly using his center to pull. Mike Sherman did that a lot with Flanagan. Some say Dermonti Dawson was the first center who pulled regularly. I don't know if that is true or not, but it certainly isn't a Kelly innovation.
    Reports of the new system that went into full effect this year indicated that the Packers had been using GPS for a couple of years. Not sure if it was an experiment, or different provider, but it was clear they had more than one year of data.

The story about the nutrition guy was along the same lines. The reporters knew the guy was working for the Packers, but the announcement came well after he started his job according to the beat guys.

The center pulling isn't new, but the center pulling with a Guard is a bit weird. It leaves a huge gap to penetrate through if you get bad D alignment matchup.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    By far the hardest part of collecting all that GPS and accelerometer data is figuring out what to do with it. If I were going to start making data driven decisions on when to prevent injuries, I'd first seek to predict injuries. That means collecting data for years and using that historical data to tweak my predictive models. The more data you've got, the more resolution you'll have in your models, and the greater the benefit. What I'm saying is that if there is anything to the data science of injuries, I really hope we've got some historical data built up to work with.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    He only played like 3 snaps!!
    And the weight MM placed on those 3 snaps were mostly likely nothing relative to the hours of time he evaluated him in practice each day.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

I think they know the target they are shooting for at this point. Every single one of these articles talks about training for peak performance, as its described, how to be at your peak on Game Day, with max prep time but also full recovered from training.

Now how they arrive at those values is a great question. The most commonly mentioned system was developed in Australia for Aussie Football.

My guess is that they measure, or attempt to measure movement in an actual game. The NFL didn't allow devices to measure until very recently, so that was either done in camp, scrimmages or preseason games or they went back to tapes and measured by hand and eye.

McCarthy's comments made it seem like after a couple of years measuring, they were implementing changes to the schedule this year based on that data. He has reordered the workouts from Friday to Game Day. Friday is now rest and the walk-through happens on Saturday.

Josh Sitton on Wednesday's rather chippy practice:

“Throwing punches is not smart, no. That’s pretty stupid. I might have been stupid today.” – Guard Josh Sitton, on the fighting.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 4h
    Opponent run average vs. #Packers defense: 3.10 per carry

Remember this little kerfuffle? http://packerrats.com/showthread.php...l=1#post774082

or

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php...l=1#post774702

Rappaport would appear to have been correct.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 1h
    Good read from @BobMcGinn on the #Packers remade and smaller defensive line: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...271626231.html

or http://packerrats.com/showthread.php...ort#post774092
    Last edited by pbmax; 08-18-2014 at 11:01 AM.

Bob is splitting hairs here, Jones made avery good penetration early versus the Rams and flushed a runner to someone else for a TFL.

Its possible its the ONLY thing he has done, but I did see it and hear about it on the radio from McCarren.

More from Bob

For the second Saturday in a row, center JC Tretter was outstanding. On the first drive, he made a difficult reach block against rookie three-technique Aaron Donald, the 13th overall selection, look easy as Eddie Lacy chugged on by for a 7-yard gain.
    If he can regularly do that, it will benefit Starks as much as Lacy. Starks loves that inside zone play.

I have to admit, from what I have seen of Tretter so far he has impressed me. Hopefully he continues doing well in the regular season.

I think wist finally drunk dialed the correct number to Dom Capers office:

Jersey Al - ALLGBP ‏@JerseyAlGBP 1h
    "They're very stout up front," Jeff Fisher said. "It was a frustrating at times because of the penetration. There was so much penetration."

Monday, Aug 18 Practice

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 3m
    Rajion Neal, Colt Lyerla, Joe Thomas, Barclay, Abbrederis, Bostick and Guion not taking practice in this shells practice

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 3m
    Cobb, Hyde and Tramon back for punts. Janis covering for scout team.

JANIS NOT A LOCK FOR RETURNER DUTIES AT THIS POINT

Monday, Aug 18 Practice

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 3m
    Rajion Neal, Colt Lyerla, Joe Thomas, Barclay, Abbrederis, Bostick and Guion not taking practice in this shells practice

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 3m
    Cobb, Hyde and Tramon back for punts. Janis covering for scout team.

JANIS NOT A LOCK FOR RETURNER DUTIES AT THIS POINT
    Sounds like Bostick could be out a "Couple Weeks" with a lower leg injury. We all know this means, he had his leg amputated and they're waiting for the prosthetic to be ordered.

- In all seriousness, the TE position took another hit. I'll have to take a look at the Roster, but I only know of 3 healthy TEs - Rodgers, Quarless and Taylor and 2 of those three are actually TEs - Taylor is called one, but he's only on the team because of Sp. Teams. Quarless needs to step it up.

Good thing both Quarless and Rodgers seem no worse than servicable.

Quote Originally Posted by pittstang5 View Post
    - In all seriousness, the TE position took another hit. I'll have to take a look at the Roster, but I only know of 3 healthy TEs - Rodgers, Quarless and Taylor and 2 of those three are actually TEs - Taylor is called one, but he's only on the team because of Sp. Teams. Quarless needs to step it up.
    They told us all last season that they liked Stoneburner, and they kept him around. Maybe he will get his chance.

The first week of camp they said Perillo outplayed Lyerla, but then he plateaued. Time for him to turn it up.