Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2014 Packers Training Camp Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Before the first roster cutdown, players have to clear waivers before they can go to IR. This is to prevent IR stashing. We havent cutdown yet, so Lyerla is exposed to waivers.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Before the first roster cutdown, players have to clear waivers before they can go to IR. This is to prevent IR stashing. We havent cutdown yet, so Lyerla is exposed to waivers.
    Makes sense. So, why cut him now. Maybe they're looking to add someone?

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    He has cleared waivers and is still a Packer. I suppose it won't help him to be on IR becaue he can't practice but he will still be around for meetings and can observe practices. Now that I've thought about it it kinda says a lot that we cut him the way we did. If we didn't think he had anything worth developing I wonder if we would have just cut him outright.

from Green Bay Press Gazette:

It provides a safety net for four former undrafted free agents – safety Chris Banjo (16 games), linebacker Andy Mulumba (14 games), tight end Jake Stoneburner (nine games) and offensive lineman Lane Taylor (10 games) – who wouldn't have been eligible otherwise.
    And just in case you were wondering, Eddie Lacy also still eligible.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    from Green Bay Press Gazette:

And just in case you were wondering, Eddie Lacy also still eligible.
    Is Tolzien eligible?

Tolzien wouldn't clear waivers

Wow! Its been a long time...woodchuck still around! HH still here? OK.

What are Tyler's credentials? Perhaps scout, coach or did he play the postion? Perhaps he is just whistling in the wind.

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 17m
    The official #NFL transaction wire is out for today, and #Packers TE Colt Lyerla did pass through unclaimed. He reverts to injured reserve.

Patriots didn't bite. Clear for a placement on IR. His agent seems on board the idea as well.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

JSO has a story with the headline Packers Avoid Injury Bug.

Friday could get ugly. Just park the ambulance on the sidelines.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post

If McGinn wrote it, better park two.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post

Some things are just meant to happen.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Good for the team, good for Colt. Since there was no way for him to make an impression/impact for another team due to his injury, and roster reductions coming, it was unlikely that a team was going to commit a valuable roster spot for him. Let him season. With some good fortune, he'll grow up a bit, get some mentoring and come in next year with an eye on not only a roster spot, but impact to the team.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I doubt we IR him for the year. I think we reach a settlement and then put him on the practice squad when he is healthy. Just my 2 cents worth.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I doubt we IR him for the year. I think we reach a settlement and then put him on the practice squad when he is healthy. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Sorry Bobble, it is IR for Lyerla:

http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...vers/14357109/

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Don't be sorry. Was just my opinion. I am surprised that they thought someone would actually poach him.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    He has cleared waivers and is still a Packer. I suppose it won't help him to be on IR becaue he can't practice but he will still be around for meetings and can observe practices. Now that I've thought about it it kinda says a lot that we cut him the way we did. If we didn't think he had anything worth developing I wonder if we would have just cut him outright.
    It does say a lot, but not in the way you think. From the JS posts it sound like Colt's injury was significant enough that they would have trouble reaching an injury settlement, with Colt's people arguing for a full year of IR. So the Packers were pretty much on the hook for the 300K for the year. So the next question is why waive Colt now instead of waiting a few days and just putting him directly on IR? One possible reason is that they needed the roster spot due to Bostic's injury. However given how soon cut downs are coming and the limited number of practices before the next game, that seems dubious. We'll know for certain if they have a new person in camp today. The other reason would be that they are not all that thrilled with Colt and hoped that another team would pay his IR salary for this year. Didn't happen, so he's on IR and the Packers can look at him again next year.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    It does say a lot, but not in the way you think. From the JS posts it sound like Colt's injury was significant enough that they would have trouble reaching an injury settlement, with Colt's people arguing for a full year of IR. So the Packers were pretty much on the hook for the 300K for the year. So the next question is why waive Colt now instead of waiting a few days and just putting him directly on IR? One possible reason is that they needed the roster spot due to Bostic's injury. However given how soon cut downs are coming and the limited number of practices before the next game, that seems dubious. We'll know for certain if they have a new person in camp today. The other reason would be that they are not all that thrilled with Colt and hoped that another team would pay his IR salary for this year. Didn't happen, so he's on IR and the Packers can look at him again next year.
    If they were not thrilled with Colt why didn't they just outright cut him or give him an injury settlement and called it a day instead of waive/injured knowing he'd go on IR if he was unclaimed?

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    $300,000 is chump change for an NFL team. If he was good enough to take a chance on this season, paying that small amount is certainly worthwhile to see what he can do next season. They need to make sure he keeps his nose clean and hopefully reports in football shape next off-season. For now, his injury is a slight blessing, as it makes cut decisions less difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    $300,000 is chump change for an NFL team. If he was good enough to take a chance on this season, paying that small amount is certainly worthwhile to see what he can do next season. They need to make sure he keeps his nose clean and hopefully reports in football shape next off-season. For now, his injury is a slight blessing, as it makes cut decisions less difficult.
    do you want to give him a vested year to sit on IR though? We are developing him, which means that it will take a bit to get some return. If he blossoms just in time to get paid, its a waste of time. I think they put him on practice squad and don't let him get that cheap year on the books doing nothing.