Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2014 Packers Training Camp Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    I just heard on ESPN Radio (John Clayton reporting) that JC Tretter has a significant knee injury and will be out a while. Not sure what that means, but paging Corey Linsley. Curious to know if Garth (don't call me Toby) Gerhart was taking any reps at Center in practice.

Also, any news on Brad Jones injury?
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    I just heard on ESPN Radio (John Clayton reporting) that JC Tretter has a significant knee injury and will be out a while. Not sure what that means, but paging Corey Linsley. Curious to know if Garth (don't call me Toby) Gerhart was taking any reps at Center in practice.

Also, any news on Brad Jones injury?
    Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 32m
    McCarthy on injuries: Jones (quad) not ready for KC; Raji (biceps) surgery; Tretter (significant knee injury) will be multiple weeks.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 28m
    McCarthy not worried "today" for Brad Jones' availability vs. Seattle.
    Last edited by pbmax; 08-24-2014 at 02:37 PM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 58m
    With Tretter out, Linsley has gotten the first rep at center. But #Packers also have had Sitton at center and Lane Taylor at left guard.

I almost wonder if this is a typo or if it was Sitton not Lang getting reps.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 58m
    With Tretter out, Linsley has gotten the first rep at center. But #Packers also have had Sitton at center and Lane Taylor at left guard.

I almost wonder if this is a typo or if it was Sitton not Lang getting reps.
    MM:

On Lang/Sitton at guard... You have to always train three centers. That will never change. Since 2006, the guards have always been trained at center. You do so much shotgun. Playing in the stadium we'll be playing in Week 1; communication that goes on, guards a big part of that.
    Hard to say, but last year when EDS had to come out of a couple games, Lang played Center.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 27m
    McCarthy: I thought Derek (Sherrod) got better. He took another step. I like the way he graded out. Some of our young guys improved.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 28m
    McCarthy: Letroy Guion is getting better. He's getting close.

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 31m
    McCarthy says Raji is not a candidate for IR with the designation to return. Will have surgery soon, he says. #Packers

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 29m
    Guards always trained to play center, MM said. Both took reps at practice.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 28m
    McCarthy not worried "today" for Brad Jones' availability vs. Seattle.

I wonder what the rotation will be at ILB without Brad Jones - obviously Lattimore and Barrington with Hawk, but beyond that, do we finally see Bradford there? Or a lot more of Hubbard (I think he played ILB last week), maybe the wet dream of us posters, Sean Richardson playing there?

Barrington, as he was in the previous two games, looks to be the #1 sub. Lattimore after him.

If an OLB moves, he will go to the end of the end of the depth chart. Offseason prep is 80% over.

Richardson isn't going to see ILB this year unless a boulder falls on the first string defense in its entirety.

Barrington, as he was in the previous two games, looks to be the #1 sub. Lattimore after him.

If an OLB moves, he will go to the end of the end of the depth chart. Offseason prep is 80% over.

Richardson isn't going to see ILB this year unless a boulder falls on the first string defense in its entirety.
    I'm not so sure that Barrington has moved ahead of Lattimore. I read somewhere that seemed to indicate Lattimore would be the top backup. I think Lattimore rebounded with a better game. He can cover. I think he was a little lax in the first two games, and I criticized him for it. I would think Lattimore would be the guy to replace Jones and Barrington would be the guy to replace Hawk.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    I'm not so sure that Barrington has moved ahead of Lattimore. I read somewhere that seemed to indicate Lattimore would be the top backup. I think Lattimore rebounded with a better game. He can cover. I think he was a little lax in the first two games, and I criticized him for it. I would think Lattimore would be the guy to replace Jones and Barrington would be the guy to replace Hawk.
    Then they are trying to up Barrington's profile because he has gone in first in both the last two games. Could be to get tape against better players, but usually that means they want to see how he projects.

But as we have seen before, the Packers do stick with known commodities at times when there is not a clear winner.

Then they are trying to up Barrington's profile because he has gone in first in both the last two games. Could be to get tape against better players, but usually that means they want to see how he projects.

But as we have seen before, the Packers do stick with known commodities at times when there is not a clear winner.
    Are you sure because it seems to me that they come in at the same time. JSO indicated today that Lattimore is the first option in base and Barrington in dime. Perhaps with Jones out, the first play was dime, so Barrington would come in first. You would think Lattimore would be better in coverage, but he's had his problems this preseason.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Are you sure because it seems to me that they come in at the same time. JSO indicated today that Lattimore is the first option in base and Barrington in dime. Perhaps with Jones out, the first play was dime, so Barrington would come in first. You would think Lattimore would be better in coverage, but he's had his problems this preseason.
    Its possible, though I am certain Barrngton went in first when BJones went out versus the Raiders, unless Lattimore went in for a snap or two and then came out for some reason. It could have been nickel, but cannot have been dime because both he and Hawk were out there.

In Rams game, I might have missed some Lattimore snaps, my memory is not as specific about when the subs went in.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/new-p...272512451.html

The Packers' 3-4 is more of a "flat" scheme but Guion believes his "attack-and-react" style will translate to nose tackle.
    I have not seen Dunne refer to the Packer and Caper Defense in this way. I wonder if this is Guion's terminology for it. We might be overestimating the penetrating part of the change. Might simply be more consistent one gap.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    I wonder if the players the Packers cut now either are 1) not eligible for the practice squad based on service time (Harper) or 2) the team's indication that these players were not candidates for the practice squad.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I wonder if the players the Packers cut now either are 1) not eligible for the practice squad based on service time (Harper) or 2) the team's indication that these players were not candidates for the practice squad.
    Actually, I think Harper is eligible under the new rules.

I read an article this week that said many teams use the first cut for players they would like on their PS. Few teams want to mess with waiver claims now with the next cutdown next weekend.

Harper should be PS eligible. (edit: the Urinal scented is saying he is http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/272495891.html)

He'll have an accrued season towards FA, but he has to be on the game day roster 9 times for it to count wrt practice squad for it to affect his eligibility. Even if he was (I doubt it but didn't check) the new rules allow there to be up to two players who do have an accrued season on the PS.

I'm not sure he's in the conversation though. He didn't even make it past the first cuts, in the past the TT seems to sign a couple of bubble players to the PS, and brings in a couple late cuts from other teams.
    Last edited by Guiness; 08-25-2014 at 08:06 AM.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

A lot of people do not really understand the rules with respect to preseason injured reserve. That isn't limited to the amateurs.

Maybe its only preventative.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 4m
    Here's Linsley. Has some type of brace around his arm.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 57m
    Letroy Guion's first training camp practice. At 6-4, he's taller than everyone else on the D-Line. pic.twitter.com/pBTPg2SV9P

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 1h
    #Packers DNPs:
    R.Neal
    Goodson
    Thomas
    B.Jones
    Barclay
    Tiller
    Tretter
    Abbrederis
    Bostick
    Raji

Twitter highlights:

-Guion practiced in full, including some half line drill.
    -Sitton was at center, including half line drill as one of the backups (not sure about Lang)
    -Lattimore was in red zone D with #1, but it was an odd mix. According to Twitter, neither Shields nor Tramontana were out there, it was all safeties including Bush.
    -Just to confuse the issue, both Bradford and Palmer got snaps at ILB.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
    Hello, Letroy Guion. Blows up the O-Line in half line (the back-ups) to take down Perkins for a 5-yard loss. The guy is fresh.

#savior

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 1h
    Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
    Hello, Letroy Guion. Blows up the O-Line in half line (the back-ups) to take down Perkins for a 5-yard loss. The guy is fresh.

#savior
    I know it doesn't mean shit but this is still good to hear. I didn't want to need Guion this season. He's pretty stout for his size but he's also incredibly slow for his size. My expectations aren't high.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.