Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2014 Packers Training Camp Thread

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Thornton isn't going anywhere. I think he's shown more in the games than the group think amongst the writers.
    Agree completely. He hasn't been the player they are writing about.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Does this mean they keep seven, or is Guion's spot in jeopardy?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    If I recall correctly, you can IR a player outright only after cutting down to 65.
    Not so. Other players on other teams have been stashed directly to IR already.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I agree, but it's the lesser of the two evils - the other being the risk of losing him if we try to stash him on the practice squad and somebody else grabs him.
    I understand that, but I look at it this way. He was not drafted by any of the 31 other teams...what has he done to date to make another team want to suddenly use a roster spot for?
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    If that is so, perhaps what I read about reaching a settlement being difficult is accurate. A player doesn't endear himself to NFL GM's by refusing to settle in that situation though.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Like Colt, those players passed through waivers. I'm pretty sure you can put a player directly on IR as part of the cut down to 65, not just after that point. Even if they could reach a settlement for say 8 weeks, with the 6 week delay after that, at best he could practice the last 2 weeks plus playoffs on the PS, and would be somewhat more likely to end up on some other team's PS.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I understand that, but I look at it this way. He was not drafted by any of the 31 other teams...what has he done to date to make another team want to suddenly use a roster spot for?
    He was passed on due to character issues, so if some other team felt they were sorted out and his talent was worth a flier pay for a year of IR, they could have picked him up. Clearly none did, but the question remains as to why he was exposed to wavers at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    If that is so, perhaps what I read about reaching a settlement being difficult is accurate. A player doesn't endear himself to NFL GM's by refusing to settle in that situation though.
    True, there was another Packer in 2010 who wouldn't settle and then complained that the Packers didn't bother giving him a ring after hanging about on IR the whole year. Never heard from him again after that.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

If I recall correctly, you can IR a player outright only after cutting down to 65.
    I'm not sure at all on this, but I think it depends on whether the player is a vested veteran (4 years) or not. Vested veterans can be put on IR at anytime, I think, but the nonvested players have to go through waivers at least early in camp. I think that is why Barclay is still on the roster. If they waived him now, someone would likely grab him. They will hold him on the roster until they can move him directly to IR.

I don't think they wanted to lose Lyerla, but they were willing to take the chance. It becomes a numbers game at this point with the first cutdown coming up. No body is looking to add long-shot development guys at this time of the year, so the chance of anyone claiming Lyerla was small. No body else wanted him when he was healthy, why would they claim him now?

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Does this mean they keep seven, or is Guion's spot in jeopardy?
    Guion might be staying on the NFI list until week 6. If the cavalry is needed on the DL by then he can be activated or else he can be cut or stashed on the IR.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    Guion might be staying on the NFI list until week 6. If the cavalry is needed on the DL by then he can be activated or else he can be cut or stashed on the IR.
    I think that's the plan, as well. At this point, might as well not activate him off the PUP list.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    I think that's the plan, as well. At this point, might as well not activate him off the PUP list.
    This was pointed out in the roster thread. They might put Guion on that limited IR. You can activate one player that you put on that list after 8 ball games. That might be a good move, altho I'd think he'd be ready a lot sooner than that.

There's also the financial consideration, he'd be paid his contract salary while on IR.

They can conserve the short term IR spot for another player by simply keeping Guion ad stated above.

They can conserve the short term IR spot for another player by simply keeping Guion ad stated above.
    Plus, they aren't going to put a JAG on that list. They'll save that for a star player.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Tyler Dunne
    @TyDunne
    First cuts announced: CB Antonio Dennard, WR Chris Harper, LB Korey Jones, FB Ina Liaina, QB Chase Rettig and WR Gerrard Sheppard.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Tyler Dunne
    @TyDunne
    Casey Hayward back for the Packers. Missed Friday's game.

Tyler Dunne
    @TyDunne
    JC Tretter not here. Rookie Corey Linsley replacing him with the one's. Tretter was banged up early vs Oak, but kept playing.

Tyler Dunne
    @TyDunne
    Micah Hyde with a tough break-up in back of the end zone on a pass to Ryan Taylor. Looks like he'll be the safety with Burnett still.

Tyler Dunne
    @TyDunne
    Brandon Bostick throwing the ball around with Quarless. He's off the crutches.

Aug. 24, 2014

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    I just heard on ESPN Radio (John Clayton reporting) that JC Tretter has a significant knee injury and will be out a while. Not sure what that means, but paging Corey Linsley. Curious to know if Garth (don't call me Toby) Gerhart was taking any reps at Center in practice.

Also, any news on Brad Jones injury?
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 58m
    With Tretter out, Linsley has gotten the first rep at center. But #Packers also have had Sitton at center and Lane Taylor at left guard.

I almost wonder if this is a typo or if it was Sitton not Lang getting reps.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    I just heard on ESPN Radio (John Clayton reporting) that JC Tretter has a significant knee injury and will be out a while. Not sure what that means, but paging Corey Linsley. Curious to know if Garth (don't call me Toby) Gerhart was taking any reps at Center in practice.

Also, any news on Brad Jones injury?
    Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 32m
    McCarthy on injuries: Jones (quad) not ready for KC; Raji (biceps) surgery; Tretter (significant knee injury) will be multiple weeks.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 28m
    McCarthy not worried "today" for Brad Jones' availability vs. Seattle.
    Last edited by pbmax; 08-24-2014 at 02:37 PM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 58m
    With Tretter out, Linsley has gotten the first rep at center. But #Packers also have had Sitton at center and Lane Taylor at left guard.

I almost wonder if this is a typo or if it was Sitton not Lang getting reps.
    MM:

On Lang/Sitton at guard... You have to always train three centers. That will never change. Since 2006, the guards have always been trained at center. You do so much shotgun. Playing in the stadium we'll be playing in Week 1; communication that goes on, guards a big part of that.
    Hard to say, but last year when EDS had to come out of a couple games, Lang played Center.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 27m
    McCarthy: I thought Derek (Sherrod) got better. He took another step. I like the way he graded out. Some of our young guys improved.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 28m
    McCarthy: Letroy Guion is getting better. He's getting close.

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 31m
    McCarthy says Raji is not a candidate for IR with the designation to return. Will have surgery soon, he says. #Packers

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 29m
    Guards always trained to play center, MM said. Both took reps at practice.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 28m
    McCarthy not worried "today" for Brad Jones' availability vs. Seattle.